Pre-Season & Hinrunde 2019/20

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by Bananenflanke, Jun 16, 2019.

1. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    for those of u that have served in the military...this reminds me of moments when there is simply no casualties whatsoever for a very very long time and u start beliving well aint such a bad place afteral we are in battle and up front but the days are going by and its all good..not even the sound of mortar blasts in the far distances...but deep down u just feel they are watching you and the flood gates will open just when u expect it the least....so for me even though its only week 10 it has been like an eternity...and am not even entertaining the fact that we might stay up top or whatever...just hope we can build up something on the current situation...b/c we are very easy to dissect especially when strong teams with loads of individual talent line up against us..and our midfield is something i cannot still put a name on it or even if we have a functional one to create a proper handshake Btwn O-Line and D-line..but Rose i have faith in as someone that pays lots of attention and seems like he is trying to lay each brick properly.Thuram has made all the difference by his strength and Luft powero_O
    We are still missing someone like Effe style in midfield ...Stindl also has a lot of impact but it seems like in my opinion he also needs a compliment or he would be exhausted sooner than later.:eek::cautious::thumbsdown::alien::alien:;):devilish:

2. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with getting out of his preferred formation, Rose has no one in the middle capable of running the game. Send Rafael to the fountain of youth or clone him...............or maybe get around to actually replacing him would be a good start.

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You read my mind...even at his current age he would deserve a fair shot specially for 45 min or so...to control the balance btwn our D and O..he has great ball retention plus attacking /individual qualities.Big ? for me actually!
    :ninja::speechless::ninja::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

4. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes, quotes and anecdotes:

Sommer had a good one-shame they don't believe in shutouts.

Disallowed goal the correct call, kick from behind the calf set it up (thought it was dirty).

These injuries........jeez..............

Stindl late would have counted after VAR-he was clearly on.

Herrmann given motm by the commentators here, mine was Bensabaini.

Goal, legit PK conceded + Red.

In my NHL parlance that's as close as one might get to a Gordie Howe Hat Trick ! * (goal, assist & fight):laugh:

5. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Spitzenreiter, Spitzenreiter, hey hey hey!!!
    and next weekend we will still be Spitzenreiter
    and the weekend after we will still be Spitzenreiter, I pinched myself ;-)

it's getting weird!

+ we are not only defending our lead, we are increasing our lead!

+ the Hoenesses are already panicking and sacked their coach

+ Herrmann is experiencing a spring nobody even rudimentarily would have expected (it's not only the euphoria of fatherhood I guess)
    when he gave his jersey to a 17(?) year old supporter after the match she started crying right away ... months ago Patrick was very close to leave the club (he didn't want to though)

+ Sommer even starts saving penalties! one of the surest bets in soccer: Sommer not even coming close to a save... but now? this paves the way to win the worldgoalkeeper award, I'm sure ;-)

+ I like how Benes is growing into the team, there is a great opportunity arising for him (he has waited a long time) and he's ready and he's g-r-a-s-p-i-n-g it (while Monsieur C got benched at the Bayern-reserves; reason: he didn't find his shoes in time)
    I hope Laci is also the solution to the set pieces-wasteland Arango left behind (I certainly like Benes' set pieces more than Neuhaus'... or Hazard's)

+ Elvedi superstrong at the moment, no concentration problems

+ finally, I never wrote about Marcus Thuram! why? well, we all know how incredibly powerful, far-reaching influential, efficacious, yes, weighty (heavyweight-weighty of course) this forum is… I just didn‘t want to create a hype and put this burden on his shoulders… but now the hype is there, pictures of Thuram in green underwear raising his green jersey (using the corner flag as a pole) above Borussia Park‘s green lawn, sometimes illuminated by the stadium‘s green Europaliga-night-lights are all over by now… the hype is there and I wash my hands in innocence!
    he came late in pre-season, he wasn't fit, new playing style, new tempo, new coach, new teammates... but he was THERE immediately, only the fitness-lag showed... this got better and better but I still thought: 'he is not at 100% percent yet'... not so sure about that anymore... I think he's just a 'shuffler' who at times tends to disguise his real power from his opponent (and from me) ;-)
    Rose: „Above all, I tell him to use every treatment with our physiotherapists, eat well and sleep properly. The rest is almost a sure-fire success."
    about his quick integration:
    When a good type meets good types it happens that fast.“
    Q: When did you hear about Borussia Mönchengladbach for the first time?
    Thuram: “This was in 2009. When I played FIFA on the PlayStation, I selected Borussia. I loved Marco Reus.“

p.s.
    Kramer & Benes NOT badly hurt

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Dage repped this.
  6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Sensebeini put his scythe out, didn't he?

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the quote from Bayern about Mr. C. "We have rules"....

8. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best news of the day.

9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Typical french boy....i really feel sad for him with a bit of patience he could have been also instrumental for us... especially in midfield!

In this current team with all the momentum,i can only imagine what a free-flowing Raffa could do all over the pitch....a very deadly weapon!

;):D:eek::rolleyes:o_O:alien::cautious::ROFLMAO::thumbsup::ninja::ninja::devilish::alien::alien:

10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrmann & Plea were terrible, and so was the performance.

11. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    is there anything like a typical 'french boy'?
    what about Thuram or Plea? different to each other and different to C it seems
    remembert Hubert Fournier? not a centerpiece of our club's history but when he was booked he joined the supporters on the stands at Bökelberg's Nordkurve

anyway, KICKER thinks Cuisance has "sich ver-wechselt" (made the wrong choice); I seldomly watch this but I heard they spoke about him at Sunday's socceregulars' table (Sport1) and ex-Bayern player Mario Basler told he always is asking himself what are these player's thinking when forcing to leave a club where everything is custom-made for them ... and he came to the conclusion that C wasn't thinking at all (well I guess his agent surely was thinking... about money)

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    https://www.dw.com/en/bombastic-bor...o-continue-bundesliga-title-charge/a-51493274

had to attend a family meeting when the match was on but managed to catch some of legendary goalkeeper Wolfgang Kleff's live-comments for FOHLENradio in 2nd half:
    "I'm not pessimistic, I just have doubts."
    "Those who doesn't like me, doesn't like people at all."
    "Well, he's not getting another clear opportunity while being more unmarked than this."
    (when Embolo missed the penalty)

wow, these modern times: the Bayern-match is already online!
    https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/...gegen-bayern----die-komplette-partie-100.html
    ah, it's the version of 1984, the complete party! three of our later coaches are playing, Lothar is getting the Judas-treatment and Hans-Gunter is bringing to bear his blonde mane, too
    interesting: the same situation like today: the whole Bundesliga, except for Bayern-supporters, is r-e-a-l-l-y longing for Gladbach to win this game!

the 'why Gladbach can beat Bayern'-articles and talks are many which is amusing because we have a 4-2-4 record (last ten matches) against them and (even) under Hecking we have beaten them 3-0
    while the 'why Gladbach can become Meister'-articles and talks are many too but a little bit too much for me; Netzer is sceptical like me while Köppel and Vogts at least think it surely is doable and Lothar from above thinks that -given a Gladbach-win on saturday- it's getting very difficult for Bayern (what about L'zig, Lothar?) because Borussia's players by now have balls as huge that they can barely walk (well he used other words and my metaphor is gone awry a little bit I have to admit...)

so, let the Honesses come, "We are Borussia, we can beat everyone." (Lainer)

13. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope they can keep Lewa under 3 himself......................

@HANS-GUNTER BRUNS :

Can you touch base with me here? Wanna make sure we can still talk back-channel...............................

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    usually I'm a rather sceptical football-spectator
    often, when Gladbach is behind (and people around me are staying optimistic) I abandon all hope and get into a "today is not the day"-mood
    I can do this, I'm a supporter... but I HATED it when the TEAM got into the same mood so often LAST SEASON
    well, THIS season it's different!
    despite being clearly inferior for 60min I stayed curious and upbeat... because THIS TEAM KEEPS IT'S HEAD HIGH and definitely has shown comeback-qualities more than once... scoring in overtime as if it were nothing... and I was pretty sure that Rose wouldn't stand back and just watch and I was pretty sure that Bayern would become tired at the end
    and then: this is soccer! you run after again and again then you equalize and a totally different game unfolds: Borussia's "late ascending run towards the ultimate climax of the day" (FAZ)
    what an OUTBREAK of emotions when the penalty was fired home!
    FAZ: "Terrific for the Bundesliga."

B-E-N-S-E-B-A-I-N-I!
    nice goals against Freiburg but the scene of the match for me was Bense elegantly clearing this ball on Sommer's goalline... at this moment the match could have turned into another direction... but he saved it
    now this! he shoots penalties like he plays: unfussy and resolute!

https://www.dw.com/en/bundesliga-gladbach-beat-bayern-with-late-winner-to-stay-top/a-51569734
    https://www.dw.com/en/borussia-mönchengladbach-back-for-good-after-bayern-comeback/a-51569727
    that, other than Bense's penalty, was the scene of this match: Sommer saving this ball (2nd pic), with only 1 or 2mm remaining to touch the goalline... given that -acc. to our goalie- he didn't see the shot at all: absolutely i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e!
    https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-bundesliga-sheds-boring-tag/a-51572793

15. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    ah, I forgot:
    21st home win against the Hoenesses!
    Gladbach is leading the soccer world ;-) in this discipline!
    (not much of an improvement though, Borussia already did this before)

and also:
    Spitzenreiter, Spitzenreiter! hey hey hey!

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and kgilbert78 repped this.
  16. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little busy this week, some commentary-if a bit tardy.................

FIRST OF ALL:

We might have witnessed the soccer equivalent of driving a stake through Dracula's heart................

They were so bitter post whistle, actually trying to convince the officials that wasn't a penalty? Had it not been given against BMG under similar circumstances, I'm sure they would've shared their empathies. Prolly not the points though-no not that.

So very glad Yann doesn't manicure his fingernails.

Bayern spied on practice? Say it ain't so Sippel ! :eek:

Elated they played better in the second half, because I'm not sure it was possible to play any worse than they did in the first, in part due and owing to the decision to start Lars where he did. Wanna say the game passed him by.........but then I remembered he never ran really well in the first place.........

Rose finally went to the 3 he had to play in order to get anything done. After shooting all those blanks over 45-when they should have run away with this game- Once Breel came on to give Flick's game plan an Embol-ism I knew they had a chance to steal it. Once they got to #11 with the game on the line-I absolutely knew they were going to win it.

Best of all,
    Bensebaini found a new friend on these boards !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Bananenflanke repped this.
  17. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    well spoken! ;-)

still think he theoretically could be a wonderful fit... but practically the accuracy (that by the way is an overall issue with Gladbach possibly becoming a real top team) is missing at the moment (like with Neuhaus)

Huub Stevens, Schalke's elected coach of the century, found it astonishing to see how Bayern went down in the last 'third': "When Embolo came in Bayern basically was done. But that wasn't because of Embolo." (somewhat cryptic but I guess we know what he means... it was Herrmann too and it was power, speed & freshness against fatigue and poor concentration)
    and further: "Embolo? Great player and a great guy! But -pausing- he might lack the technical skills to make it really big."

I could go nuts.“ (Kimmich about being a Bayern player)

I‘m a goalkeeper.“ (Neuer asked about not making use of their opportunities)

It drags on.“ (Stindl about being Spitzenreiter)

I'll take this discussion seriously when you ask me the same question after three defeats in a row. If we had lost against Bayern 4-0, which would have been possible because of the first half, no one would have asked me this question. That's just the fact. We‘re not driven by [media]expectations. We are ambitious and try to get the most out of this season." (Rose about Gladbach chances to become Meister)

He [Sippl] yelled from the outside: ‚Take it and make it.‘ (Bensebaini about getting the call to shoot the penalty) [Sippl‘s son is named ‚Lenn‘ „because you can yell that name very well“]

The most inspiring thing of all - I was in the stadium - was the atmosphere. It‘s unbelievable what amount of euphoria is being kindled right now. This last half an hour? The atmosphere was incredible! Wow, that was special.“ (TV-pundit Thomas Broich on WDR radio)

From my deepest heart I wish Gladbach will win another big title after 25 years.“ (Stefan Effenberg)
    [here! the same with me! but like many I think neither Bayern nor D‘mund are shattered and L‘zig is a big big threat… and we all know from last season how recklessly a good base can be thrown into the gutter… and also: „There are no problems at all. Just one. But that‘s a big one. There are still so many matches to go.“ (Kramer)]

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The good thing is: there were so many games this season that should've been wins or draws but unfortunately the team threw points away. In opposite to last season where we really played at our possible best (under Hecking..) in the Hinrunde, this time I allow me a bit of dreaming. We actually can rise the game even more whereas Leipzig, Freiburg and Leverkusen already reached their peek performance level in my opinion.

19. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #194 Bananenflanke, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    yes, the two matches against Favre (he's winning but still struggling) could have ended in our favour
    but L'zig, Union (I was wrong they are not the weakest team) & Wolfsberg... well earned defeats for my liking ;-)

sounds right! most certain the "possible best" and match-luck in last season's Hinrunde
    heard something like "I remember last Rückrunde very well. But honestly? Don't think this is gonna happen again with this team and this staff"... there was an article in DIE ZEIT, far from getting over-enthusiastic but also stating that this team is only at the beginning...

DIE WELT had a less grounded article:
    "We old people still know. Although we are now wearing our third teeth, have lost memory or are six feet under - but at least since the 2:1 on Saturday we're drumming with our stretched foot against the coffin lid and want to get out again. The crypt trembles, Gladbach lives."
    "his [Netzer's] passes towards Heynckes, Laumen and Rupp were uninhibitedly cosmopolitan, leaving nothing of the constraints of the post-war period. Netzer was the playboy, the playmaker, the first kicking rock star, he ran the disco "Lovers Lane", drove Ferrari, wore the fluttering feathers shoulder length - and just as unique was the football played by Borussia."

and on it goes, from the cup win in '95 ("the last jump of a dead cat") over Reus who sometimes even passed the ball before he received it and Hanke "Is that your tongue hanging out of your neck or a tie?"
    "Is the Almighty an esthete, is he turning back the wheel?"

Borussia-Bayern on saturday was the most watched Bundesliga-match in german pay-TV-history... take that wrong Borussia! ;-)
    Munich's interim-coach Hansi Flick on friday: Bayer-Borussia has always been the real 'classic' Bundesliga-duel in our family; I supported Bayern, my brother Gladbach."

Bensebaini:
    5 Bundesliga matches
    5 wins
    3 goals (thereof two against Prealps FC)
    1 assist
    position: LB

p.s.: shame on me... it's Sippel, not Sippl (the missing 'e' is bavarian-, not palatinate-style)

20. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Eberl?
    KICKER (again) thinks that Max of all got the best value for his money in summer...
    dutch soccer magazine VOETBAL INTERNATIONAL came to the same conclusion
    nice! but attracting talent (which of course involves more people than just Eberl) is not the whole story:

Eberl: extended contract with our longtime co-trainer Frank Geideck, a man from Bielefeld, a city that doesn‘t even exist! nobody was ever there & nobody knows people from Bielefeld! he was born & raised there, went to school & university and played for and later trained the local club Arminia, all more or less in the same street (which of course doesn‘t exist) yes! the club is even listed in 2.Bundesliga! don‘t know where Geideck meets his family on days off! maybe at Autobahn service stations, he can't go to Bielefeld, that's for sure (once at a public meeting chancelor Merkel recalled an alleged! event in Bielefeld „...if it exists at all"… "I had the impression that I was there" „I hope I can go back there." well, I drift away, back to topic:

Eberl: extended contract with Neuhaus (a huge surprise to me! "I've had plenty of time to think. I am glad that I extended my term in Gladbach in the long term. We are not yet at the end here, in my opinion.")

Eberl: extended contract with Benes

Eberl: extended contract with Kramer ("Of course, for contract negotiations it's not optimal if you already stress before how much you would like to stay. But that's what it looks like in me. From my point of view I am with a club which has a realistic attitude towards this. That's why I saw no reason to put on a poker face or play something to possibly strengthen my bargaining position. I am very honest and direct with this." "I also want to stay because I believe that there is still a lot possible here. I want to contribute my part every day for this. I can say that I have had already some stages in my life. But nowhere else I enjoyed it more over a longer period of time as I did here in Borussia Park. It's just like that.")

Eberl: extended contract with Sommer

Eberl: binded Elvedi until 2022; Elvedi: "You can see that Borussia has developed into a real top club. There is a great team, a great coach, great fans. Slowly it's not really necessary to take the next step at another club"

Eberl is talking to Zak (rumor has it)… Rose: „Why not? It's important to set demanding targets to keep players like him with us for longer.“

Eberl is making an announcement“ it came from different directions

hmmm, i‘m rubbing my eyes and ears… a lot of things are going very well for Borussia at the moment… incl. Ginter (told he isn't interested in transfer at all; maybe one time to a foreign league at most; "There aren't many bigger clubs than Gladbach in Germany.") scoring for Germany with his heel at the not sold out Borussia Park (ha, the national team is not able to do what Borussia does regularly… the people of the Lower Rhine have their preferences!)
    apart from a tiny minority of badbehaved, idiotic supporters I really don‘t know what IS NOT GOING WELL right now… what we need now is continuity ;-)

p.s.:
    Max Eberl is back from the states; he scouted at the 49ers… guess the buffalo design will be further expanded…
    by the way, what about Joe Scally?… any insider-knowledge around?

22. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I know he needs a quarterback, but Garoppolo isn't for sale.................

Scallly-wag:

NYCFC Jr. Cityzen RB prospect. Supposed to be good, never got time with them due to his age.
    Played w/ the US unders and did well enough. BMG put in a bid.......must have seen something they liked.

23. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Bananenflanke :

As you had discussed previously............
    Word this AM that Bethlehem Steel is once again no more.

Union gave up on the lights/stadium issues and rebranded / moved to Chester permanently.

24. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

always brother i was in transit and jet-lagged at the moment...took my life and a life Vest and jumped ship it was getting pretty....am sure u get my drift
    God Bless my Friend:thumbsup:

25. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good.Will be in touch over the weekend.