Pre-Season & Hinrunde 2019/20

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by Bananenflanke, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Eberl told several days ago that the cub has reached an agreement with new players (how many players?) but that the clubs are not playing along so far... in other words: it's about money... with several options: a) walk away and look elsewhere, b) sign the player right away (and pay much? more), c) gamble a little bit and save money (or come away empty-handed)

so what players is Borussia looking for?
    my impression so far:
    1) definitely a second striker (Drmic replacement or starter?)... the most plausible names from the rumor mill are Marcus Thuram (son of WC-winner Lilian Thuram) and Lukas Nmecha (possibly on loan from Pep City)
    2) a left back: Bernardo (Leipzig) or another warmed up name: Marc Cucurella???
    not so sure about:
    3) a Hazard replacement... the Trossards might be talking with Brighton... or it's just a waiting game... but does Rose really need a Hazard replacement?
    4) a Rose-style-fitting player for the "6", Strobl is the only holding midfielder but he lacks dynamic, don't think Kramer is the right guy for this; rumor mill mentions Rose's disciple Schlager again and again
    most of the names circulating sound far-fetched for me
    anyway: a lot of supporters are fantasizing about 4-5 new players... I don't see this happen: max.2 if nobody is leaving in return I guess

Neuhaus is playing U21 EC next week... on the one hand a helpful experience on the other hand he looked overplayed for most of the Rückrunde, maybe his stamina needs improvement
    Nmecha is with the U21 team too (his mother is from Gladbach), I'll look carefully ;-)
    Cuisance is already back from the French national team (the US team eliminated them, quite astonishing) which is good for his pre-season (he missed most of the last pre-season)
    Johnson isn't called up for the Gold Cup, don't know if this is due to health issues, or due to better US-players (maybe the national team-ship has left the port for good
    Elvedi seems to conquer a starting place in the Swiss national team, Ginter already did this in the German team

interesting thing ;-): Christensen is still watching all our matches!

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Johnson is done with the US Nats. They are looking at younger players for the next cycle.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  3. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way they play the US is likely looking to the time they get to co-host for their next WC opportunity. So many here are down on your old coach Ken-but I actually enjoyed the way his teams played near you. Thing is; he's also a "system" coach-and there's so little time to work with the internationals and local options................

I don't believe the talent available in this country any where near apprises its zenith in Korea '02.

BMG news says the club submits bid for Thuram early this week.......................................

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of US kids playing in the Bundesliga now--ones who were not born in Germany. That's a big difference from 2002.

5. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    there even is a 'real' MLS player now: your ex-goalie! (but it's already his second job in Germany, so maybe he isn't that 'real' ;-)...
    is there any US-player who directly made it from the MLS to the Bundesliga? nobody comes to my mind... am I wrong? the young lad Richards came from a MLS club but never played in the league I guess

about Johnson: in winter break there were rumors about a serious interest of Cincinnati in him... did this rumor vanished in the meantime in the US?

[by the way: Mr. Rangnick is coming to the MLS: he is gonna masterminding the Brazilian and the American RB-dependances... full-time! I'm not a big fan but he definitely knows what he is doing and he (as always) is backed with money what definitely should be bad news for supporters of all the other MLS-clubs... the RB headquarters are totally frustrated with the output of top-young-guns form their American dependances they say]

6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    no bid, contract expired, Drmic is free to go wherever he wants to
    but there were speculations he might get offered a new contract (depending on Rose's wishes)... but that was doubtful from the start just for one reason (you have additional reasons, I assume ;-): there has to be room for new players!

7. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    it seems the clubs still believes in Doucouré!
    rumors regarding a loan were spurned by Eberl: when he gets up and running we want him here and nowhere else he told media

I really would like to know how Eberl rates Villalba, Bennetts, Pedersen & Müsel

8. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Pedersen? pfffffffffffffffffffffffff
    his name is POULSEN, Andreas Poulsen (and he is part of the Denish U21-EC-roster... they are facing Neuhaus' this evening)
    I would like to see him play ... this evening... and once in a while this season, too

9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which thigh?

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Bananenflanke repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how you count them. Steffen wasn't born in Germany. He may have some German descent. 40% of Americans do.

We had players go over before MLS of course. And there was a chap from the Crew that got a couple games with Mainz. And I should not forget the Crew's former captain, Michael Parkhurst, who went from MLS to Augsburg and played a couple matches. McKensie's from FC Dallas's youth side. Matthew Taylor--though he only got as far as the 2BL. I'm sure there are others.

And how are you forgetting Michael Bradley???

11. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    how could I forget him? I didn't! it was rough times for our club! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep... but unlike last Rückrunde I really cared... last months in contrast I got a little bit apathetic... all this wasted opportunities...

sorry, I didn't make myself clear (about how I count)
    way back when this Canadian guy playing for Orlando was linked with Borussia I had a discussion with Lucky who wondered why Borussia (or Bundesliga?) isn't scouting more thoroughly in MLS
    so what I'm looking for are players who made their name in MLS and then (directly) were signed by a Bundesliga Club
    so Bradley doesn't count, neither does Parkhurst (and many many others) because they took detours to come to Bundesliga
    and players like McKennie or Chris Richards do not count either because they came from academy teams and never played in the MLS
    (and obviously neither do the 'Germericans' or players like Wood which joined German youth teams early in their life)
    about Steffen: yes, definitely sounds German (40%? over here they usually say 30%, I know that in some counties of Wisconsin an overall majority still claims to be of German origin... and you're living close to the German triangle St.Louis-Milwaukee-Cincinnati, be aware! ;-)))... but that wasn't my point... Steffen is just a 90%-fit because 16/17 he was on the Freiburg-roster (and had no MLS-history)
    so, now I'm checking your Columbus-chap... Ricardo Clark, right? joined Frankfurt from............ Houston!!! and did play several MLS matches previously!
    bingo, you did it ;-)))

by the way: any other actual MLS players with a Borussia-history, other than Ring?

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I have another (more recent) one: Tyler Adams of RB (ok, RB-mockers might argue that RB of N.Y. is kind of an academy-club itself but they play in the MLS and that counts...)

new Borussia-rumor:
    acc. to French media Alexis Claude-Maurice is hot (again?)
    he is interested in the German project they say... and they call him a 'nugget'
    but apparently Wet Spam tackled us from the side in the last minute and bid 10M!
    now they are expecting a bidding war between us and them (they don't know us ;-) but they have a slight hunch that Borussia isn't gonna top this offer (maybe they DO know us ;-)
    in the last days I got a feeling that Borussia started looking in the lower shelves of the intern. transfermarket... I'm ok with that, let Rose's team do it's magic!
    why not look into the 2nd-tier-universe, ah ok: Alexis Claude-Maurice (interesting: three boy's names in a row) is 2nd tier! maybe the wrong country! what about Luxembourg? no, I'm totally relaxed... sooner or later we'll sign someone... but some of our opponents already put wood behind the arrow: BVB signed Hazard+Brandt+Schulz+Barca-talent+Hummels?, L'kusen! etc... so what? when they have too many options they get confused and we can beat them just hopping on one leg ;-)

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It wasn't Clark I was thinking of. It was Mike Duhaney, who went directly from Columbus to Mainz and played 14 games, according to wikipedia. And there was Edson Buddle who went from LA to Ingolstadt (though 2 BL). We did have a few before MLS who went from US pro teams to the BL like John Doyle to VfB Stuttgart and Eric Wynalda.

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    so you didn't do it! I did I myself, that's good for my ego ;-)

I can't give you a pass on Duhaney: 13 matches in Oberliga Südwest and 186 minutes in 2.Bundesliga, that's definitely not good enough! ;-)))

Wynalda of Saarbrücken! an American playing soccer in the 1.Bundesliga! for most of us this was like an Eskimo playing beach volleyball! or like watching a rare species of animal!
    and he even scored: deftly! and media did not hesitate to put the "sonny boy'-label on him...
    nonetheless they got relegated from 1.Bundesliga! now a 4th tier club... but that was before MLS, the soccer middle ages so to say...

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like when Okudura played for Koln. Probably won them the championship with his goal vs Stuttgart (which I attended).

There's a few others from that era--Chad Deering (Bremen), McBride and Lapper (Wolfsburg), Cherundolo, of course, van Buskirk for Bayer Uerdingen, Donovan started in Germany. Conor Casey (I have jerseys of his from KSC, Mainz, and the Crew).

Tony Sanneh came from DC United to Hertha and Nurnberg. I saw him play in the USL before MLS existed. And, of course, Frankie Hedjuk who came from LA to Leverkusen. Not sure how I forgot him.... He's quite the character.

And there was a chap named Andy Mate who played for Hamburg--with Uwe Seeler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Bundesliga_players

16. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    thankfully you didn't become a goat ;-)

Cherundolo is like Enochs one of the Americans who came and stayed

I never started collecting jerseys, I never knew where to store them ;-) but I got an idea, see below...

another Californian (like Donovan) who ironically had to play in the vibrant, enthralling city of L'kusen!... man, how relieved I was when I got out of there (but that's long ago)... I prefer hanging dead on a fence in jerkwater town

thanks, never heard of him! as I recall it the 'icebreaker' was Paul Caligiuri
    he started playing for the mighty Meppen, which was kind of hot back then because they had this rural-town-gumboots-image (actually some supporters attended the matches in gumboots just to demonstratively show their 'hickness')... I think that's when Germans recognized that Americans can kick ball, too (nobody could recall 1930 I guess)... Caligiuri is still Meppen's one and only WC-starter (can't see anybody attacking his supremacy ;-)
    [side note: If you ever meet someone who is bragging with his soccer knowledge you ask him where Maradona played his first match on European ground! correct answer: Meppen! (August 3rd 1982)! proof:

after the match Maradona ate a Bratwurst with Meppen's coach ("this day was like a combination of Schützenfest [marksmen's fair] and Woodstock!")... I guess he's still telling his grandchildren of this... Maradona, I mean, of course... while Barca nowadays is flying to the States for friendlies! poor Meppen! side note to the side note: you see the colourful tracksuit of Meppen's later coach in the vid? that's highly collectable!!!]
    Wynalda came a little bit later and convinced more (but not all) of the remaining doubters... but back then when watching saturday's SPORTSCHAU was the (in most weeks often only) holy mass for soccerfans (no streams at all!) Wynalda really got huge media coverage for some time: other than Meppen it was 1.Bundesliga and Saarbrücken like Wynalda was new in the league too and started quite good into it...

now how to round the bend and come back to topic? ah, Barcelona was headed by Borussia's ex-coach Lattek back then! he's not following our pre-seasons anymore, unless they have streams at the other side of the big river...

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caliguri started at HSV, actually.

18. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    started what? training? ;-)))
    it's not that I recall it very well but stats say they moved him quite fast to Meppen
    he hasn't a single HSV-minute to his credit
    and Meppen was a much cooler place to be than HSV's 2nd team or (bench) ;-)
    ironically he played his 15 Bundesliga matches for HSV's local rivals St.Pauli
    (while Caligiuri overall preceded Wynalda in Germany the latter at this point had already played 1.Bundesliga)
    Caligiuri's impact was so heavy that some of the supporters and even some of the journalists/commentators pronounce the names of Marco (Fürth) and Daniel Caligiuri (S04), both German Italians, American style!

ever heard of Tom Kain? (I didn't):
    https://bundesligafanatic.com/20130602/soccer-made-in-germany-by-americans-a-mutual-relationship/

Tom Kain
    was a star high school player in New Jersey who earned All-American honors at Duke University in the early 1980s along with being named the 1985 Hermann Trophy winner (awarded to the best college player in the U.S.). He signed with German club 1. FC Union Solingen in the North Rhine-Westphalia region in 1986, becoming the first native American to earn a contract in Germany. Although he never broke into the squad, Kain played several years of indoor soccer for the Kansas City Comets before retiring to work for Adidas. He found great success in the corporate world and today is the Nike Global Director of Soccer Marketing.

Paul Caligiuri was another American pioneer in Germany. Following his college career at UCLA, he signed with Hamburger SV in 1987. Although unable to find first team play in the port city, Caligiuri found success playing for second division side SV Meppen, and later played at Hansa Rostock, where he was part of a East German Championship side in 1991, SC Freiburg and St. Pauli. The Californian was an original member of MLS with the Columbus Crew and later played for the LA Galaxy, along with earning 110 U.S. caps.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'd hear of Kain. And Caliguri had minutes with HSV II, which isn't always reflected in the stats.

20. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    quite possible, nowadays the stats are very accurate regarding 2nd teams but back then nobody was really interested... even die-hard fans often didn't know the players of these teams which were called 'XYZ Amateure' at that time
    back then the HSV amateurs played in the Verbandsliga Hamburg which basically was a city-league
    I couldn't figure out when exactly Caligiuris contract started: acc. to one source 1/87, acc. to two others 7/87... if the latter have it right Caligiuri cannot have many minutes to his credit because he started in summer break and on Oct. 31st he already debuted for Meppen https://www.dfb.de/datencenter/2-bundesliga/1987-1988/16-spieltag/202350 [this source, the German Soccer Association, also totally ignores his time at HSV]... I guess we have to ask him per eMail at Orange County to clarify this ;-))))
    [sometimes I wonder why I dig into issues which are totally irrelevant for my life... maybe it's the only luxury I can afford, apart from walking in the fresh air ;-)))]
    anyway: Caligiuri was discovered by Felix Magath (HSV director of sports back then) and ignored by one of the greatest of all: Ernst Happel (Beckenbauer: "His words are like the Gospel to me.")
    that's no shame, it definitely wasn't easy to please him: "He's too tall and too slow. By the time an idea arrives from the head to the toes the game is over." (about Frank Neubarth), he told our ex-player Wolfram Wuttke "Hopefully the sun isn't shining today because you'll see your shadow and jump one meter high out of fear“ ... yes, that were the good old times, nowadays the player's agent is gonna call the club within minutes and threatening to force a move or even sue them...
    and finally I have this one, totally Borussia related ;-):
    „Ultimately the great coaches all were drunks: Weisweiler, Happel, Zebec. And I belong to the greats, too.“ (Udo Lattek)

p.s.: Caligiuri was the first foreigner ever to play for Hansa Rostock (former GDR)

21. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    acc. to L'Equipe (as good as it gets with regards to French sports media I guess) Thuram is finally joining Borussia
    "Thuram, who was also targeted by OM, will evolve well in the club of North Rhine-Westphalia." [how do they know ;-)]
    "Although he had, from a collective point of view, a sluggish season at the EAG, which finished in last place in Ligue 1, Thuram stood out individually. His performance has not been consistent but he still scored nine goals in the worst attack of the Championship and was instrumental in the Guingampais until the final of the Coupe de la Ligue, lost against Strasbourg. At least enough to convince Mönchengladbach to align an amount valued at 12 million euros excluding bonuses."

two interesting comments on the article:
    "He will wax the bench there. The Germans will have understood the deception after 2 matches"
    "Well. In Germany the attackers progress and expand their game, it's up to him now."

simply speaking one half thinks 12M+ is way too much and the other half it's way too low ;-)

Luuk de Jong (only the old people remember!) is playing for Seville next season... they say 1-2M for Borussia! (overall 7-8M from the transfers of Schulz, Sow & de Jong)

team-doc: Raffa is absolutely healthy and physically fit (a lot of extra training in Brazil they say)

why Gladbach Embolo?:
    "the Swiss players of Gladbach put a lot of pressure on me"
    "Xhaka is trying for years to bring to me Gladbach"
    "Gladbach is incredibly famous in Switzerland... it's second only to the national team"
    ;-)))))))))))))))))) good guy!

22. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.........but the other French club may not be so "Nice" to deal with. Takeover means negotiations delayed-if at all.

IS ACM there as well, or did that just die on the vine of its own accord?

23. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    yep, an English billionaire... Sarr is young, still two more years under contract and a supporters' favorite... maybe Nice opts to wait another season...
    plan B could be https://www.transfermarkt.de/ramy-bensebaini/profil/spieler/284732 (all Borussia scouts are busy in France it seems...)

ACM rumor ran quite dry... left side of defence is the priority now it seems... most likely the rumor will pick up pace again when this site is closed AND/OR somebody leaves Borussia... but who could that be? certainly not Herrmann or Traoré... don't think Johnson either? and will ACM still be available by then?

24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    while Elvedi said he's gonna play for Gladbach next season "in any case" Cuisance told that last season hurt and he needs playing time and he might be striving for a change if he doesn't get it
    it is said Eberl told him last season in private to shut the f... up and fight like Xhaka did; officialy Eberl said some days ago "Mika did well with the U-20 but AGAIN there were several errors which showed that he currently hasn't the self-confidence he needs" ... particularly 'easy' turnovers I guess
    at the moment Cuisance is splitting the supporters: so what, he's ambitious and sooner or later he's gonna shine some say (I guess he's only aiting for a 'yes, I'll definitely bring you into play'-signal from Rose) and others say he's over the top again and he's being snooty instead of humble...

first pre-season match was a monster-derby against 1.FC Mönchengladbach (yes, they really were first, founded 1894... never found a club which was named 2.FC, don't know why...)
    Borussia won the first half 8-0, but here is the thing: no further goals in 2nd half!
    it took the opponent's coach just ONE HALF to DEMYSTIFY Rose!
    and that was an amateur! we do not have to mention Favre or Nagelsmann here!
    I'm scared!!!

25. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if serious....................
    They're looking at another Frenchman from Troyes it seems.

Max does look like he's recently developed a penchant for croissants.

Bananenflanke repped this.