Pre & Post Thread: RBNY vs. Chicago Flame Retard(ant)s

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by irishapple21, May 12, 2006.

1. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice lazy play by Danny Boy. Did we really trade Serouix for this guy?

2. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christ...this team is just bad.

Funny, he was the wrong messenger, but Chinaglia was right.

And this...oh, I'm on record about my feeling about Youri and how he fits in this team. But my goodness...you have to give him loads credit for putting up with shit!

[​IMG]
    That is not the look of a man who is looking forward to a summer at Giants Stadium .

[​IMG]
    He may have some points vis-a-vis his playing, but this is everything you hate about Guevara-the petty arguments and stupid yellow cards; the sulking; the diving and lack of commitment.

As they say, form may come and go, but class is permanent. One has it in spades, the other...

Can it get worse than this ?

3. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    The problem with this franchise frozen in one snapshot.

The supposed franchise player, in the stands after abandoning his team on the sidelines because he couldn't deal with being subbed out because of sustained indifference, being bag-lapped by some "fans". Had Guevara tried this bush league bull$hit in front of section 130 he would have left the place crying real tears, not those fake ones he cries to the Spanish speaking press in New York.

4. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    Maybe Guevarra and Lothar can vacation together.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, there have been games with less. The side opposite the teams actually was not as bad as is being indicated. I could see 9k, probably closer to 8k which would be only 20% full. Remember the bottom can hold around 40k.

That being said there was no energy is the stands or on the field.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I was in seats facing that side. I didn't see many people (especially anywhere near 8 or 9k). But perhaps you are a better judge than I.

There is a good article coming out about sport attendance. Keep your eye out for it, it should be pretty interesting.

7. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yawn. Just like Canero is better than O'Brien. Mo's usual BS.

I can't believe we got out of there with a tie. That a great result for this team.

Also, anybody who doesn't think that was a foul is dumb. O'Rourke made a completely tactless error, and he honestly should be benched next match (if Mo has some real balls). O'Rourke is so much worse than Serioux it is absurd. We in no way shape or form got fair value in that trade.

8. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Caught the "Texas Tussle" yesterday on ESPN2. Serioux seems to be competent, physical, has pace and is great on throw ins. The downside seems to be that he has a tendency to leave players unmarked at times. Outside of saving 90K and a SI spot, that's all I see this move was ultimately about.

9. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm not a fan of his, but at the end of the match there was a moment where the camera focused in on Djorkaeff (where the picture is from) and he had this look of complete disgust and despair on his face. I think he really cares about your team and how totally unsettled they are. I only wonder how far his feelings are shared by others. On the other hand, it seems obvious that Guevara couldn't care less about anyone other than himself.

10. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He never said he was as good as Makelele. He said his style of play is similar to Makelele. I don't see how that is BS.

11. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have lost talent wise on every trade we have made since Mo took over for Bob. It has caught up to him now. We are pitiful and don't care on the pitch!

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The salary cap will not allow Red Bull to buy a better team. The restrictions on senior and other international players also keeps Red Bull from essentially importing a team. Without savvy managers to pick among the best players available to any other MLS team, RBNY will continue to be a bottom feeder.

Here is a thought way outside the box. Let RBNY become a showcase team for the league, one that represents the best possible equivalent of a top Euro side that other teams can match up with, giving the league a guage by which it could determine its level of play.

This team might finally draw enough fans to to gain MLS real notice in the NY media ; it would be controversial, certainly, and garner a lot of publicity. It could well see full houses at Harrison from day one.

Fans of the rest of the league will say' "Why should New York be given this special treatment." I completely understand the sentiment, but I also understand that MLS needs New York more than New York needs MLS. Would anyone really like to see the league continue without a New York team. What would the rest of the world think of an MLS without a New York team?

Maybe we shouldn't care what the rest of the world thinks, but I see so many posts that ridicule MLS as a 'laughing stock' to the rest of the world, a 'joke' that has no respect, that it's clear to me that many do feel the ROTW's opinion does matter them.

Of course we have already seen something along the lines of a Mexican showcase team fail in MLS, but they brought in players unable to compete at the MLS level, let alone the level of a Premiere European team. And if Red Bull is underachieving in New York, the same can be said for Galaxy in LA. In fact, that team has had moments as embarrassing as any we have endured, but at least it has something to show for 10 years in the league.

Whatever the course, I do not think Red Bull will allow this team to just muddle along as it has for the past decade. The only thing certain is change, and Red Bull will demand it be for the better. How that is accomplished is beyond me.

13. muscfiorentina

muscfiorentina New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Meadowlands Area
    Just thinking out loud....Why can't RedBull Salzburg buy a player / players and "loan" them to RBNY at a very low fee? This is a way around the salary cap.

14. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    How does Chivas spend close to twice what we do on players then?

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Uh huh.... I am waiting for this to happen at some point.

16. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Let RBNY become a showcase team for the league"

Brownswan, how is that to be done? "Let" is an interesting word choice. Is it to be by exempting RBNY from the $ rules and roster rules for a set number of years, or something to that effect?

17. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    That was my point. There really isn't a hard salary cap. Considering everything you hear about them allowing the "Beckham rule" next year I think its more along the lines if an individual owner wants to spend more money then they can. That's why I think things will change a lot next year. It isn't Red Bull's corporate philosophy to buy a team that gets a quarter page article on the last page of the sports section and keep it status quo.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Is everyone so sure and so convinced of Red Bull's ambitions and willingness to commit massive resources to it, even if they could? I don't know. I mean, they've bought into two leagues, the Austrian Bundesliga and MLS. Doesn't that give you some clue about just how ambitious they are about this? Not saying they don't want a winner, just that they may not quite have the resources to devote to this soccer team that some of you seem to assume.

19. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    That's a fair question.

I guess them talking about acquiring Ronaldo set the expectation bar pretty high. We'll see I suppose.

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Yes. Essentially, enough top quality European players, along with American players, but the emphasis would be on a European Premiere-standard team in MLS. It would be attractive to the New York market, and a challenge to the other teams. If they measure up to it, they stand a better chance of advancing in the CC, for example. I would expect such a Red Bull team to intially dominate the league.

This is just a wild idea to accomplish 2 things: make an exciting team for the region, and set a higher standard of play for the league to match every week.
    It could be the sort of thing that would give MLS a fresh start in the metro area.

21. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Brownswan. I kind of like the idea; but then I'm an RB fan :) .
    I can imagine the howls of indignation from the rest of the league's fans. I can imagine as well much solemn head-shaking in team and league front offices, saying that this would put MLS on the slippery slope of spending itself into a world of hurt a la the NASL. Of course, many of those suits wouldn't complain if THEIR team was chosen to be the league's showcase ;) .

22. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's like building an HOV lane to the NASL, circa early 1980s.

23. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D (mandatory five characters)

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It amounts to admitting that New York is a special market. While it is true that each market is special in its own way, and each faces its own set of problems, along with the general problem of getting more fans into the stands, not to mention creating new fans where none existed, the size of the tri-state fan-base makes it a special prize that MLS needs to win.

By contrast, Los Angeles, with two teams that are performing scarcely better than RB, continues to show a strong turnout for the Galaxy, and fairly decent numbers for Chivas. The ever-successful DCU continues to have strong fan support; success will do that for you. Being the only (or the second) pro team in your market helps, too, and both C'bus and SLC get some help from that.

The RB team that I imagine in the post above would be one tri-state fans -- and I do mean 'footy' fans -- would love, and the rest of the league hate. That makes for an excellent match every time -- especially with a side of Euros arrogantly showing us Yanks 'how it is done.' It would be a challenge every week to beat that team, and what a pleasure for the fans of the team that does.

It is a scenario that could work, I believe, but will never get a green light. I think it would be to the benefit of the league, as well as the region, and it would certainly increase TV viewership as well. Imagine an MLS side with the likes of del Piero and Ronaldo along side younger players of top flight caliber. It would draw attention, and set the bar high.

25. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    New prediction: Next season, RBNY will be given "Chivas USA" multiple salary cap exemptions and buy up several multi-million dollar players for 3 year contract. I would guess probably 3 or 4 players will be exempt entirely from the "salary budget" in an attempt to rebuild the franchise into something that will capture the Metro area's imagination.

Prime targets: Ronaldo, Vieri, Figo.