Pre/PBP/Post DC United v Toronto FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Aug 1, 2017.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The penchant to go long and over the top used to be the rage, playing out of the back isn't for the weak and talentless it requires vision, understanding, superb passing and receiving control and flowing movement. Watch a top team (even Barca gives me pause) exchanging passes in their own box with opponents present and imagine United trying that. Hamid is just in the fight or flight mode and he knows he can't trust his cement footed traffic cones in the back to not turn 85% of the balls over. The respite gives him some time to try to reorganize his cones and a break before the next onslaught

Winoman, song219, Boloni86 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Okay I think I'm picking up the process. The VAR actually watches a replay and based on that tells the ref if a formal review is indicated. So in essence all straight reds are reviewed in that the VAR takes another look. That makes sense to me. I thought you were saying that somebody is making the decison whether or not to even look at the replay based only on what they saw in live action. That's notoriously unreliable because the decision is not whether a foul was committed but whether it's egregious enough to warrant straight red. In our faking, diving sport having a replay look, whether that's called a "review" or not, is a good safeguard.

Boloni86 repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Happy Birthday Old Man! Have many more, hopefully enjoying winning soccer at Audi Field. Thanks for all your comments and insight over the years. I'm 14 years "behind" you.

Winoman repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll take that as a backhanded compliment. Lol

5. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorgeous day to be out for some football. Man almost makes it worth going... almost... can't say 45 minutes of short handed play makes for entertainment.. thanks Sam.. seriously dude really?

But without question something to take away with a smile for once, even though there is much work to do, if some of it feels futile.

It really seemed like it was going to be one of those nights where we would find a way to lose that's for sure. So gotta take it.

Somehow a combination of DeLeon and Acosta is intriguing me, but it's got to be one of our strikers or perhaps Acosta that plants the period on the end of the sentence.

Don't know what it is, but it seems every time I've seen Giovinco show up at RFK he gets stymied, so I'll take that gift.

Highlights... Watchin Bradley lose his friking mind at the ref non stop. Ultimate fanciful highlight, watching Odoi-Atsem go full tilt at the end of the game run for the TFC yard box, then run full tilt back to the ENTIRE length of the field at the other end to stop a play. That made my night.

Crossing fingers for another blow out like last year against RSL again... one can dream right?

oof!

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How many cards could Bradley have earned?

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He should have received at least a yellow for the two legged slide into the back of Acosta early in the match. If someone more lowly than him had done it, probably a red. As I watched the game, he should have been sent off at some point because he got one yellow for a professional foul and should at least have earned another for persistent infringement. He played like a punk in that match.

Winoman repped this.
  8. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Exactly how Rapids got a point at BMO Field. TFC is terrible at breaking down bunker, and also terrible when playing a man up. So weird.