Pre/PBP/Post DC United v Toronto FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Aug 1, 2017.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe he's sought treatment and turned a corner

2. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gutsy effort from DC tonight.

A little disappointed that we weren't getting more hold-up work out of Brown during his brief time in the match while we were down to 10. Felt like our big failing was not having anyone who could hold up and keep possession up top the rest of the game.

NDL worked his ass off, so I'm not going to get too mad about him blowing our best second half chance with a terrible outside of the foot flick thing to Marcelo.

Hey, it's a point against one of the best teams in the league. That ain't nothin'.

3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this real?

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Ok, I'll buy that

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam got sent off and Olsen subbed in Neagle, so that makes 9.

Eastern Bear and shawn12011 repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The only egregious mistake was Sam's scissor. That was a stone cold straight red -- just a colossaly dumb play.

nick repped this.
  7. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR will only notify the center ref if there is a clear and obvious error in the showing or not showing of a Red Card. In this case, the Red Card was correct, so the VAR did not make a recommendation to review the play. The intention is the maximum benefit from the review with the minimum interference with play.

Winoman repped this.
  8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just Red Card rescinded its also Red Card not given. If a ref misses a Red Card infraction, then the VAR will recommend a review. However, it is the center ref that always has the final say on whether to review or to change his or her mind.

9. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my note above on explaining the use of VAR review. But to your point, every Red Card is not obvious because the Ref has a limited view and he may or may not have a good angle to see the play and the specific action that would warrant a Red as opposed to a Yellow.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sar·casm
    ˈsärˌkazəm/
    noun
    1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My bad you are right.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for seeing the light. :D

DCUSA repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually I am a realist.

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say that but caveat that it was only in your mind and that you are and were wrong but someone beat me to it and I didn’t have to defend you.

[emoji6]

shawn12011 repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Good points but the zero shots on goal is misleading as Stevie Wonders target practice scores, the huge misses weren't due to United's defense but to the extraordinarily poor shooting from Giovinco and others. There were a lot of scared pigeons above and to the far right and left of the pipes

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Like Aesop and the Bros. Grimm were realists :rolleyes:

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I'm on these threads enough to agree with you or not. Will keep an eye out for apologies or realism.
    Let's see what happens IF the team actually starts to invest in the roster.
    I think he's generally done ok with what he's been given, but hasn't shown himself to be anything special as a coach, although I love the guy in terms of his commitment to the club etc...
    This year has been pretty rough for olsen.

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  18. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this.

As with most on these boards, I and not a Sarvas or Jeffrey fan (as starters on this team). I wish we had better DM options.

That being said, I think that playing two central midfielders that are comfortable defending and for the most part stayed parked in front of the back four worked for us tonight.

It clogged the middle of the field, limiting service to Giovinco and limiting his clean looks on goal. Sarvas/Jeffery weren't great, but I think that they also did a decent job of pressuring Bradley, preventing him from getting his head up and sending in perfectly measured service in to their forwards.

I don't think Harkes would have been as effective as a defender playing in the man down situation. I won't bother commenting on Vincent as he was not able to beat out Sarvas or Jeffrey for regular starting spot, even when healthy.

DCU surrendered tons of space on the flanks, but Toronto wide players weren't able to take advantage. If this was a tactical gamble by DCU staff, then kudos.

Rick77 repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, middle son! You've totally blown my cover. Ours, unlike, say, Japan's, is not a society that respects the elderly and assigns them reverence for wisdom and experience. (I was on a marketing site recently and the oldest category you could check was "over 35.") Consequently, anything I say on this site from now on will be dismissed as the ravings of a senile old man whose memory and brain cells are in inexorable decline. Dammit! I would thrash you with my cane if I had one!

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's the way it is supposed to be - you can't tell because they don't need to stop the game. The game was stopped long enough already for the VAR guy to look at the replay and let the ref know he got it right.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually Sam got sent off and Olsen did not change the line up at all. I think he should have put in Odoi Atsem at halftime to take Sam's spot. Not sure who I would have taken off, but it's remarkable that Olsen did not make any adjustment at halftime.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen's in a tough tactical spot there. The two most obvious people to swap out are Brown or Acosta. On the hand, you can't take off Brown because DCU's best chance for another goal would be to catch them committing too many people forward and then catching them on the break. On the other hand, if TFC scores then you need Acosta there. So moving to a 4-3-1-1 kind of makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is every ********ing goal kick and every ********ing punt going straight into enemy territory where there are 4 defenders and one forward. Giving away possession that cheap is just dumb.

When he finally took off Brown, you could see Neagle telling Acosta to go play forward. But Acosta stayed in midfield giving DC a 4-4-1-0 formation.

And what does Hamid do? Continue banging kicks to their defense! And now it's 4 defenders and no forwards. Dumb.

Winoman repped this.
  23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has always bugged me and it's not just Hamid. Keepers do it all the time. If they could actually target their kicks, then that's fine -- and many have the skill to do that -- but otherwise, they should give it to the defense and keep possession.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think all this time I've dismissed you as a middle-aged, alcoholic, high-school drop out, LOL.

In all seriousness, your ravings are always informed and appreciated. Being the resident octogenarian just makes it better.

Happy birthday!

mosca, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! As long as the synapses are firing in reasonable order I will continue to lurk on these pages and "contribute," if that accurately describes my posts.