Pre/PBP/Post DC United v Portland Timbers

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Oct 13, 2017.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I do too (happen to be Bolivian btw) but I tend not to over hype him nor blame outside factors causing his performance so far (there's been a lot of that going on with other people regarding other players in this club and others as it is). Just as I'm sure he does, I chalk everything up only to what he can control and so far it hasn't been good. The only thin he can do (and I'm sure he's doing that) is to continue to work harder. That being said, you're absolutely right. ;)

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Mark Geiger is a deplorable piece of shit.

fatbastard, Theopisa, jason1551 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Also, Ross Smith, is a deplorable piece of shit who speaks with a phony accent so that dumbshits in Oregon think he has some particular insight about soccer.

jason1551, Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Got the chance to attend the game in person up here in Portland. I hope Audi Field is a slightly updated version of Providence Park -- it fits into the neighborhood perfectly, is easy to get in and out of, holds in sound ... a real gem.

I was hoping at some point that Arriola would figure out that the speed move past a defender rarely works when said defender is faster than you.

Acosta talked more to the fourth official than to anyone else on the field.

As you'd expect, the moment that second goal went in, the shoulders dropped considerably. Only the subs seemed to have any desire to run after much by that point.

******** Geiger. In general, and specifically in regards to the head injury that he decided to ignore.

Ugh.

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone else pointed out, in 33 matches this season, we've been shut out in 17. That ties the previous record: us in 2010. It's one match more than the second-worst tally: us in 2013. Let that sink in: we were more consistently dangerous in attack in 2013.

usadcu, Boloni86, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who or what is Ross Smith?

7. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    He's the color commentator for Portland. Like Men Without Hats and Skinny Puppy before him, he's got an affected British accent despite the fact that he grew up in Canada. In addition, he's the worst color person in all of MLS, hands down. My personal record is 4 minutes before I have to lunge for the Mute button.

Winoman, NicktheGreek and Eastern Bear repped this.
  8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I watched the Portland broadcast and I endorse this message.

Boloni86 repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nor would I.

jason1551 repped this.
  10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    You obviously haven't seen any of the MNU broadcasts. Those 3 are really something.

Boloni86 repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm confused, if your avatar is a smiling toilet making a thumbs up gesture is deplorable piece of shit a good thing or a bad thing?:)

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not that it mattered to the outcome of the game, but the fourth goal was a perfect example of why MLS is absolute shit.

JRHokie, Winoman, jason1551 and 2 others repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    They're amateurs, it's true. But Chris Dangerfield (San Jose) is the second worst. He deserves zero respect.

Boloni86, Bootsy Collins and song219 repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Good one!

song219 repped this.
  15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    There is NO evidence that this team will be any good next year. So let's look forward to the turd fergusons we pick up this offseason

NicktheGreek and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #66 gringolimon, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    If we're evidently gonna pick up some turd fergusons this offseason, we might as well look forward to 2019. Hopefully Miranda came through and proved himself a great asset to the team. Wait, did we make the playoffs last year?! Are we 2020 CCL champions?! Are we 2020 FIFA World Club Cup Champions?! First ever MLS team to win this title?!! ¡Vamos United!

There is NO evidence ALSO that that this team won't get better... if you feel different, why even root for the team if all you expect is misery?!?!?!

Winoman repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Misery is the companion you can count on. It is stability in an unstable world. We are conditioned toward misery and every good experience presents a steeper emotional fall.

Perhaps when we are consistently good things will flip.

james

Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  18. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Sometimes I think people write things just because they think they sound clever. . . and sometimes they are, clever sounding, that is.

asitis

19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This was a good example.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  20. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Thank you. But I was referring to our friend Shammy, who you quoted.

asitis

21. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    After a season watching DCU on direct Kick and getting mostly the non-DC broadcasts, I have to give the award for worst local broadcaster to the British dude on the Atlanta U crew. The Portland crew did their homework on their opponent this weekend, but every time i was forced the ATL feed, that British dude was less prepared and more arrogant than watching Lou Holtz call a Norte Dame Football game.

Winoman, asitis and GlennAA11 repped this.
  22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shammy eats Cheerios every morning with "wee-wee" instead of milk. If this team were to win every game he would still complain. "United is still lacking and deficient in many areas."

23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's the only American team I care about.

JRHokie, Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Pose that question to about 97% of English soccer fans if you want a real answer. Some of the folks I know that follow these perennial disasters couldn't suffer more if they were heretics in Torquemada's dungeons. Oddly most are big fans of Pollyanna and can be found humming "the sun will come up tomorrow" no matter how many times their club goes down a division. Hope with no reasonable basis for your expectations is what makes a true soccer fan

gringolimon repped this.
  25. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think he's actually from Northern Ireland which has no pedigree at all. He must be friends with their owner or GM. But I agree he is horrible.

I don't understand how there aren't enough Americans to do these jobs. Same with importing Ian Darke to do USMNT games. He is fingernails on a chalkboard to me.