Pre /PBP/Post DC United v Orlando City

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't watch, only saw the highlights. Mishu, Franklin, Opare and Sarvas looked pretty bad on various goals, but there could be a lot of factors at play. Maybe someone wants to break down individual play for me. For instance, why was Kamara removed in the 40th? How was Martin?

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch closely enough. I saw both of those two make mistakes and don't remember either doing anything particularly good although I could have missed something. Kamara seemed to pull up injured, maybe a leg injury?
    Buescher played well and I think he's likely to play in the playoffs, although not as a starter.
    The rest of the guys looked pretty rusty and definitely looked like they hadn't played together.
    Worra looked bad.
    Aguilar notably absent. I presume he'll be gone in the offseason unless he's injured and they're keeping it a secret.

DCUSA repped this.
  3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Heist. Goff says Aguilar has an injured ankle.
    Flat footed defenders like Opare and Mishu bug the crap out of me. Gotta step, maybe you get beat, but standing on your heels definitely gets you beat.

4. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara looked to have come off with a sore hamstring. It's clear communication between the defenders was....not good. They never could sync their step-up timing, and defensive handoffs were dodgy at best, but Robinson, of the three, was most consistently good, followed by Opare. Martin was also out of sync with his teammates, usually by passing at or behind people, or not in the direction of their runs. Again, a chemistry thing, I think. He had some good ideas, but they were different than other people's ideas.

Worra I can't fault overmuch because the defense generally left him out to dry. Maybe one of the goals he could have done better on, but the other three? Ick. All bad defender screwups.

Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, stang. I guess that's all to be expected. I'm surprised Franklin and Sarvas were even ready to play, so plenty of rust I'm sure.

6. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Funk that.

This game is about preventing injuries and being ready for the knockout game on Thursday. Doesn't matter where as much as are we healthy.

Olsen had team prepared for both outcomes. Ready to fly to another city that night or return home.

This was a perfect chance to test our depth in real minutes. Sad Aguilar wasn't out there. Was hoping he might still be around

7. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright Florida sun!

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I remember 2007 when Soehn ran out both Emilio and Moreno in a meaningless last game and both picked up knocks the effectively ended DCU's playoff possibilities. I know this game wasn't "meaningless", but Olsen was right. Before the game started he knew he possibly had a Wednesday-Sunday or Thursday-Sunday set of games coming up. The only question was the location of the first two. He decided, correctly, that rested players were more important than the location of the first game.

jason1551 and John L repped this.
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that mtl needed to win may have made that decision easier. Does he make the same choice of we needed a result to get home field?

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That worked out OK. Once NE was up by 2, it was just a meaningless exhibition to watch while drinking a lot of beer. Nice goal by Iggy, but I can't see him sticking around next year. Kamara must have some kind of curse. Defense was horrific. Buescher had a good game.

And we play Thursday because it's the only day of the week with rain in the forecast.

Winoman, asitis and fatbastard repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, we were trying to decide which day based on the weather forecast we saw Saturday - Wednesday is the coldest day of the week so we figured it might be that day, but then they added rain to Thursday evening and we had really wanted to hit our local brewery for Halloween trivia that night too, so we had basically already decided it was gonna be Thursday. So, no fun Classic Halloween movie trivia :(

I suppose the TV people picked which game was gonna be when and no-one wanted to see the DC/Mtl game so it fell to the spanish station on a Thursday night which I assume is the lowest expected ratings time/channel.

As for the game, the DCU starting 11 made it easier to pay more attention to the race at Talladega than the first half of the game. The race ended just after the second half started. So I had to watch Joey Logano win a race and DC United lose in 40 minutes of my Sunday; both depressing, but at least Denny Hamlin barely made it through to the next round of The Chase™ and DC United will still host the play-in game, so it wasn't all bad :)

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I think BootsyCollins mentioned this. If I remember right the meaningless last game was against the Crew.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You know I'm a fan of the 11 and JGR, @fatbastard. He's a good Virginia boy. He was just born in the wrong place.
    [​IMG]

All of the knockout games are on unimas.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chesterfield [.... satisfies .... ]

I can't help but say the last part whenever I hear the city's name - and I'm not sure I was even alive when that commercial actually aired, but I'm really old so I probably was).

(can't see whatever image may be there)

Winoman repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! Same thread even! :)

16. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I could understand sitting a player or two who are can't be replaced if injured - Acosta and Hamid for example. But I can't justify starting 11 players who haven't played during our hot streak, and I certainly wouldn't have replaced the entire back line. Setting the players up to fail, as Ben said, doesn't really help much of anyone.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for all the guys who were rested.
    The positive is... if (almost) none of the starters on Thursday started yesterday, they won't likely be affected by the Orlando game.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, some players who might be needed in a pinch have some recent game experience to fall back on and we've tested a few recently injured players to see if they could stand some playing time.

I don't like having done it, but since it didn't change anything playoff-wise, I can see some accidental benefits.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The disappointing thing is that of the guys who started yesterday (other than Vincent) only maybe Buescher/Neagle/Robinson (sort of) inspired any confidence that they are ready if needed on Thursday. I suppose we could use Saborio, but he's exactly what he's been all season.

fatbastard repped this.
  20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Ben's decision was quite a gamble. In essence he decided that being rested for the mid-week game was more important than home field advantage, because in fielding 10 reserves he gave up any meaningful chance of earning home field advantage on the field.

The true test of whether it was good decision would have been if Montreal had won and we then played them away on Thursday.

The smarter approach would have been to rest a few of the older and/or banged up starters, but put enough talent on the field to possibly win.

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    But in the end, Olsen got it right. Because Montreal was resting Piatti, Drogba, and most of their finesse players, it was a pretty safe bet. I, for one, am totally comfortable relying on Dominic Oduro to pratfall when it counts.

We learned that DCU's Open Cup team can't quite beat a below average MLS team on the road and that Luke Mishu will have a brilliant career doing something other than playing professional soccer. And United's actual players are rested and ready to go for Thursday.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a 2-3 game gamble. He got the first one right (enough). Probably he assumed Montreal probably wouldn't go for it too hard, and if they did win and we lost, then at least Montreal would be a bit tired and we'd be fresh.
    In a sense we got the best of both worlds... as long as none of the stench of that game sticks to the team. You'd think it probably wouldn't since he changed basically the whole team. But, let's wait and see if the starters are out of their rhythm on Thursday. I'm pretty confident and pretty hopefully that we can beat Montreal at home. If we get through that game then we can definitely say Olsen got it right.

23. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that we're referring to a game in which we scored three goals (even though the AR screwed the pooch on one and got it taken back) as "the stench of that game."

Admittedly, defensively, it was pretty stinky, but what amounts to our C team putting together three goals? I wasn't expecting that at all.

24. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This sort of positive spin is EXACTLY what's wrong with BS these days .... :)

25. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I think it was quite a gamble, and Ben is lucky. In a sense, its the right kind of gamble, as its one that suggests we're hoping to go deeper into the playoffs (where we'll really need our best players to be ready) vs. "gosh we're happy just to be here". At least that's the way I'm choosing to look at it...

No surprise our C team, never playing together and with some rehabbing elders got creamed. Still should have been 4-3, which is impressive considering.

What we know from the game is more about Orlando than DCU. A lot of the guys who took the field from our side clearly are not in the long term plan. I only wish our bottom tier of defenders were more confidence-inspiring.