Pre/PBP/Post DC United v Atlanta

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Jun 19, 2017.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the best of times... it was the worst of times...

Seemed like at the stadium it was going to be a really poor showing, considering it was a real nice evening. However, it seemed more people came as the game went on.

The mood at the beggining in the stands... geez .. after years of this it was really starting sour...

It really didn't help that Nyarko's first goal scoring chance seemed like a given and his header didn't make it. It just seemed like that was setting the tone early for the match and the self mockery was just getting ramped up. Acosta was already complaining into the ref in under 5 minutes and it just seemed like things were going downhill.

The important thing is how we won, by finally coming back from a deficit. We got a break, and finally capitalized on a mistake. Seems like the cards fell in favor for us that one time.

More importantly I was ecstatic that Nyarko got the second goal, he was playing well and this is just the reward he needed. That's going to be a huge boost for the team.

And what can I say about Hamid at the end. Absolute friggin rock. Just loved it flat out beast.

Still hopefuly the team can improve and take it from here. Harkes is getting much more aggressive and scrappy, however his shots on net are terrible, always sailing over. I thought bringing in Brown was a good idea with the lead, but we seem to always be fighting off a lead, instead of controlling one. I am tired of us going into a defensive shell, cause that's when the opponents just seem to pounce on us.

Lots of room for improvement, keep it going. The players and particularly Olsen were just absolutely amped after the game, it was great to see. Carry that forward.

There's only one United indeed!

Those Atlanta away uniforms were some of the worst I have ever seen, looked like the players spent the entire day climbing through an industrial chimney.

2. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    It was a great win, but we're a horrible team to watch. The speed of thought is so slow, the lack of creativity so galling. I was talking to someone during the game -- you know exactly where the next ball will be and you have time to have an espresso between passes often.

Ortiz is a mystery. He seems to have little touch, doesn't run much, isn't great in the air. I'm looking for the part of his game that is, well, special... what am I missing?

Anyway, wins > losses, though there's about zero chance we make the playoffs with this lineup...

grumpydcu, NicktheGreek and JRHokie repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I thought Ortiz showed better last night than before. His pressure on the keeper led to our first goal, and he had some crosses that might have been assists with better, or luckier, finishing. Maybe he was just auditioning for his next club.

big spaniel and Winoman repped this.
  4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I thought the defense was great pretty much all game. Their passes were consistently cut off and their dribblers were easily stopped most of the time.

I hope some one can figure out what's wrong with Neagle and fix it.

I liked that Acosta's goal came right after the chant asking (politely) for it. I don't understand why you guys don't try that more often.

And I loved that everyone booed #5 every time he had the ball after he yelled at the ballkid.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  5. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    politeness, after 688 minutes, is an inadequate response.

on the other hand, scoring a goal for this club is clearly not so "fcking simple"

Neagle is somewhere else. he's not focused on the team, so far as I can see... sad.

6. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    What should I hate most about Atlanta United:
    1) they chose a black and red color scheme to go with their "United" moniker
    2) their home kits look like AC Milan
    3) their away kits look like the NY/NJ Laughing Cows

Murrdcu repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Brown nearly cost us 2 points. Lots of hustle to try to catch up with the ball to help,on defense. Lots of idiocy to foul the player from behind and give away a dangerous free kick.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 roadkit, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    I think he also might've been a little relieved there was no PK called. At about 13" on this recap:

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2017/06/22/wells-fargo-saves-dc-scores-week-17-0?autoplay=true

Hamid still made a world-class save, but boy, I think we got very lucky.

10. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
  11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree we were very lucky. And I presume that's why Atl was so upset at the final whistle.

12. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Mean, green, uckingfay, Bill Hamid's 90+ minute fingertip save was not luck.
    Just sayin'

NicktheGreek and Real Mobile repped this.
  13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The shot was still on goal, and the deflection actually made it more difficult to save. I would consider that a "trifling" infraction, to use the referee's terminology.

Boloni86 repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Wonder if the folks in a far away village called Manchester feel as strongly about someone pirating a name?

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Housewives of Atlanta are trashier than Housewives of Potomac????

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I would also like to point out that the Atlanta broadcast team featured Dan Gargan, who was surprisingly good. He was generally cogent and fair.

It also featured some other person named Alan Moore, I think. He doesn't know even the most basic salient shit about the league or it's players or its fans or its stadia and whose only quality, such as it is, is that he was born in noted soccer hotbed Northern Ireland and so he sounds vaguely British. He rightfully deserves to be thrown in a peat bog.

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Alan Moore was terrible. Kept insulting DC fans. "There's only a few hundred people here" and "this is certainly not Bobby Dodd"

Go die in a fire you tool. This league has existed before Atlanta showed up. Anyone that's ever watched MLS would know that was a very typical crowd for a Wednesday night in DC, and most other MLS markets. Certainly nothing to be surprised by.

roadkit, Winoman, dcu n bntwn and 6 others repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Easy man, it wasn't Walter Cronkite reading the 6:00 news, If people threw the BS flag for everything broadcast lately the world would look like one huge ticker tape parade. Things are tough back over in Ireland again and all the good bar locations in the states are taken so what to do, what to do?

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and he still has not gotten over that whole potato famine thing.

roadkit repped this.
  20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Agree with you on Neagle in terms of lack of speed and energy at times. However, I COMPLETELY disagree with you on the 2-on-1 that got botched. I put 80% of the blame on DeShorn Brown - if he busts his ass and gets to the six-yard box (not unlike what Gressel did for the ATL goal), then it is an easy pass across the box - in fact he may have been able to lead Brown without the goalkeeper coming off his line

Brown gave a half-assed effort and presented no angle for Neagle to cross to him. In fact, he would have had to go behind Parkhurst to complete the pass.

that one was on Brown

Winoman and John L repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So at the beginning of the Atlanta broadcast tonight Malone was still dissing DC fans. Seriously, if I ever see that guy on the street ...

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't wait to see how noted sporting city Atlanta looks like on a Wednesday night in 20 years with the team in last place.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It will be an empty stadium. The team will have moved to Phoenix that with Qatari technology developed for the WC, it makes Phoenix viable.