Pre/pbp/post 7/6 WWC USA vs. Sweden

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Cville K C, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre/pbp/post 7/6 USA vs. Sweden

Well, I try to avoid the looks issue here out of respect for the women on the forum.

Besides, I have socks older than most these "girls".:eek:

2. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read the reviews and found them to be quite accurate. What myself and other posters tried to tell you weeks ago but it just refuse to grasp is that Lloyd is a moments player. She might do something to confound you but them make a game changing positive play. And that's reflected in those grades. But someone like yourself who is looking at it through a jaded prism of negativity refuses to grasp that.

Carslile has not praised Lloyd much so not sure what you are talking about. I just looked and that post was July 2 and I linked to the Carslile grades for the second game so everyone could read them. But did not offer any opinion about his grades (just offered my own thoughts on the game) let alone say "See, Carslile said Lloyd played a good game" So you calling me a hypocrite is baseless but not surprising considering the source.

If it is so easy to find "experts" who think she played as poorly as you now think she did in those first two games then DO IT. Don't ask me to do it for you. Again, I've got no problem with people criticizing Lloyd -- just be fair, which you are not. If you check out the game grade thread for Sweden, you will see that I point out several things I thought she did poorly. I've told you time and time again that she's a flawed player but the positive outweighs the negative IMO. You, on the other hand, could not find it in yourself to offer one morsel of praise for her, even when she deserves it. That's called intellectual dishonesty.

I'l tell you what, if she lays an egg in the Brazil game, I will be the first to admit it. And I won't hide under a rock like you and wait to pounce when/if she plays well.

3. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009

1) You are such a hypocrite. Did you not quote Carslise on game 2 and now say find some other experts when I offer his critique on game 1 and 3?

2) You are so dishonest. I said she under-performed, she was below average. How did you equate that to no single morsel of praise for her.

3) Hide under a rock? I am around here a lot, I had chosen not to criticize Lloyd for all these games, it just goes to show you I have been actually easy on her. I commented on your post only because I hate dishonest people like yourself to show up and call everyone haters when they offer their opinions.

4) Read your own quote of the AWK folks again, read all the words if you want. If you think that is a good review then you are truly hopeless.

4. soccershark

soccershark New Member

Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, Christen Press, who probably has more speed and skill than some of the starting 11, is not even on the 36-player National Team pool...

5. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

She will be soon.

Is it bad I'm almost hoping we don't do well in the Brazil game to FORCE USSF to fire Pia and bring in a coach that will bring in new players like Press, Edwards, Klingenberg, Nairn, Mewis, etc. Not all of them may work out but its ridiculous we are relying on Boxx and dont have a single person prepared to step in for her. Lindsey doesn't count since she is almost just as old.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

/newsouth bait....

7. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is my post from 7/2 in its entirety -- my apologies to others for this making this post long.

1) Now where in there do I quote Carslile? Nowhere. I offered my own opinions about the game and simply provided a link for people to read as a courtesy like others here do for their fellow BS posters. Hence your accusation was BASELESS. Note that I simply said this is the first review of the game. I didn't say the best or most accurate or offer any opinion about it's credibility whatsoever. You are a like a contortionist without flexibility. You back yourself into a corner by saying baseless things like this and then try and twist your way out but just wind up digging a deeper hole for yourself. And this is a prime example.

2) Name one positive thing you have ever said about Lloyd. I certainly have not read every single Fire123 post -- thank heavens for my own sanity— so I could have missed it. But I have personally not read one positive thing you have said about her.

3) Note that I didn't call everyone haters— just folks like you who cannot seem to admit when Lloyd does something well. I certainly admit when she screws up. Read up thread today and see my conversation with Katie. She criticized Lloyd and I agreed with her thoughts because, aside from being 100 percent correct, they don't come with an agenda like yours. You, like anyone else, are welcome to offer all the opinions you want about Lloyd or anything else. That's what BS is all about. But if I think they come with an anti-Lloyd agenda or I just disagree with them, I'm going to challenge those opinions sometimes.

4) Again, if you look at the key words in the first two AWK reviews and the overarching themes, they are positive, especially when taken in context with what was said about other players in those games. I would tell you to read the entire reviews of all the players for yourself but I now realize you don't like doing your own research.

5) If it was almost anyone else I might not have assumed you were not posting about Lloyd after the first two games because she actually played well and then chose to pounce when she underperformed in the third game. But you have so little intellectual honesty that's it's the first conclusion I drew. So I could be wrong about that but I doubt it. One man's "going easy" is another man's "not admitting that she played well." Of course you are entitled to your opinion on that but again, I think it comes with a serious anti-Lloyd agenda

8. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009

A link to Carslise is not a quote?
    If I am baseless to say that than I guess I am ...
    I can go on and answer all of your points but it's useless when this is how you "think".

9. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, a quote is actually quoting him. I just linked to the article I wanted to share with others. You are right about one thing — we are at an impasse on this topic.

10. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't remember where/when I heard Pia's interview but she said that she had to wait until after the Olympics to change the team's style of play.
    In the interview, Pia mentioned that she wanted to change to more short passes e.g., Barca. I think it was a USSF Youtube video.

Anyone know of this interview?

11. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Shouldn't this have been something that happened during the past 3 years she was coach? I feel like 3 years is enough time to bring in players to change the system.

And Pia first you should focus on winning this world cup. If the team loses Sunday Pia is pretty much done (may stick around for the Olympics but I don't think she will stay around much longer than that.)

12. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yay .. that is my point. it has been 3 years so did she ever try to change the team's
    play style? it doesn't appear that she tried .. but she may have tried but realized she didn't have the players e.g., Abbie, Carli etc.

13. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Is Pia a possum or a mole?

The loss to Sweden can be laid directly at Pia's feet. Going with that starting lineup hamstrung when it came to making the necessary adjustments to overcome Sweden. She should have played Lindsay (rested Boxx or Lloyd or both for a half each), started O'Hara and Cox (LePeilbet has been a weakness from the first kick off) and Rapinoe has been a very effective super-sub and finally, she should have bled Saurbrunn in WWC play by starting her for Buehler. But, by not shaking up Pia's starting line-up, she was limited with the changes that could be made. Pia looked like she had no idea what Sweden would throw at her. Maybe she's a mole.

Or, maybe she's a possum. Maybe she didn't want to show what she will put on the field against Germany or Brazil. The US did not play disciplined ball when trying to come back on Sweden. Maybe they were told to play Route 1 against Sweden so they could Barcelona Brazil and Germany at a later date.

I think US has the talent and teamwork to win the WWC. Both Brazil and Germany have not looked invincible. Maybe its the USWNT is going to pull a rope-a-dope-a.