Pre/pbp/post 7/13 WWC USA vs. France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 11, 2011.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Someone should launch this thread.

I'm curious as to what people think should be the starting lineup.

Keep in mind that the best players for the USA on Sunday were either over 30 years old (Wambach and Rampone) or the goalkeeper. Going on two days' rest on Wednesday is going to be a challenge. Of course, Wambach and Rampone need to play, but some other changes might be warranted.

Fire away!

2. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Several days ago there were some who thought Wambach should have been benched! ;)

3. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    FYI, ESPN is reporting Sundhage as saying that Sauerbrunn will start.

4. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Well this makes me very happy! The back line will stay the same other than bringing in Becky.

Given Pia's record I have a feeling both Abby and ARod will start up front again. Only change I really see Pia making is possibly starting Lindsey in place of Boxx. But I think that will depend on how Boxx feels. If she's up for it Pia may give her 45 min. Not that I necessarily agree with this starting lineup but I think this will be what Pia does. She doesn't like to change things.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic trap game feel to me.

6. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    If I'm Pia I change as little as possible among the starters, recognizing that either Cox or Sauerbrunn will have to go in somewhere. Gotta use the mojo from the Brasil match. As a fan I would start Becky in the center next to Kriegs on the right and leave Christie next to LB on the left, but a semifinal is a lot to ask someone for their first cap of the WC.

I'd think hard about how effective HAO really is, given the groin injury. I thought she was limited against Brasil. The 48 hours that are left are for recovery/travel/tactics, so it may be tough to evaluate her. It will have to be a "game-day decision" whether to play her and I hope she's OK. I'd start Cheney on the other flank with Pinoe as super-sub in the wings.

Wambach plays unless she can't play. I'd start ARod too, although she didn't play well against Brasil. I think she matches up better against France, as does Morgan as super-sub.

As usual, the central midfield is puzzling, but they've been that way for a long time. Boxxy had a wild, mercurial game against Brasil - forcing the own goal on Brasil but yielding Marta the mm of space she needed for the go-ahead goal in extra time. Lloyd is ... Lloyd, erratic but a big-game player. If Boxx and Lloyd are fit (and I'd double-check Boxxy), they should start.

And I don't think there's a keeper controversy.

7. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    I get that feeling too. Brasil was just a stepping stone - gotta focus on France. We've beaten a couple of minnows and had an emotional come-back over a huge rival. Can we handle a solid, well-organized team like France?

8. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    France is very well organized. Abily is a great creator and so is Necib. Thiney and Delie up top are quite a dynamic duo. These four move well off the ball and have great vision. Lloyd and Boxx will have a difficult time keeping up with them and tracking them all over the field. The size advantage goes to the US here, so if Boxx and Lloyd can put bodies on these women they can disrupt the French rhythm.

I think the US attack has the advantage over the French defense. Wambach, Arod/Morgan and Cheney have the speed, strength and skills to beat this foursome. A key will be applying pressure the French back-line so they can't connect with Abily and Necib in transition. Neither French GK is world class.

I think this game is going to be won in the central midfield. Who dominates? Boxx/Lloyd or Abily/Necib.

9. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    If it depends on those duos then we are in big trouble.

It is far from it, since I think we will lose that battle but win the war. :D

10. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think Boxx/Lloyd can do well against these two. Boxx knows Abily very well from their WPS days. Having a strong understanding of how another person plays in nothing to sniff at.

11. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002

I wonder how that cuts with Bompastor-Wambach from the Freedom.

12. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Another great match-up. The French are playing more confident, and better possession soccer, than any other team so far in the tournament. Bompastor has been one of the best players in the entire tournament but Wambach can more easily avoid her than can Boxx/Lloyd avoid Abily/Necib. The Wambach/Bompastor matchup might not happen as much and the duel in the central midfield.

This is going to be a great game.

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Knowing the player is good but it does not mean everything either.
    Boxx can stay with Abily if Boxx has a good day like the last game or one other group game, I don't remember which. If she plays like the others, no. In the WPS though, I don't think Abily showed everything she is capable of since she was always 2nd/ 3rd fiddle after someone else. For the France team, she is the leader and she applies herself much more.

Necib is another matter, we don't know her and skillwise, the only way Lloyd can stay with her is to use illegal methods. ;)
    Necib is a young player though, she may not have the mental toughness to impose herself.

14. AzNChicken

AzNChicken Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Necib also has free roam of the pitch. How that will be managed will be interesting. Even if she didn't, I don't really see Lloyd pressuring her in defense. Should be a tough battle for Boxxy.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short rest is scary. I'm glad France played OT too.

I wonder if there has been any studies about effect of an extra days rest in knockout FIFA tournys?

16. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Alright I'm going to be honest here and admit of the four final teams I think I know the least about France. Can somebody please give me an objective run down of what to expect from them? Who to watch? What style they play?

I'm about to watch the France- Germany game on my DVR so I will definitely be taking notes but I just needed a little cliff notes version of France before Wednesday!

17. AzNChicken

AzNChicken Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delie to watch up furthest up top with Thiney making supporting runs at forward. France has a very technical style, compared to Barcelona, with their play being mostly through Necib, who is very good on the ball but questionable in her strength on holding it, and Abily in the midfield. Necib has the benefit of freely roaming the pitch in attack, just to confirm that she's France's focal point. Defensively, Bompastor is the only one that stands out to me, but I have nothing much else there - other than that both keepers are questionable when coming off their line. Watching Germany - France will give you more on their defense, since it is the only time they were really challenged.

18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    First stage - Group A
    26 June Nigeria NGA 0:1 (0:0) FRA France
    30 June Canada CAN 0:4 (0:1) FRA France
    05 July France FRA 2:4 (0:2) GER Germany

Quarter-finals
    09 July England ENG 1:1 a.e.t. (1:1, 0:0) 3:4 PSO FRA France

The French have played very attractive attacking soccer and have speedy forwards but their D is not that great. I see the USA winning by the same score the Germans won... should be a terrific game...

The USA has been this far each of the last 6 cups but not the French and the USA came off a bigger win... This game reminds me a lot of the USA game vs Finland after the huge Miracle win over the Soviets in Hockey... I feel as if the USA is destined to win the Cup this time. Yes call me a fatalist but you can tell Abby, Boxx and Rampone want to win the title badly!

All time USA record vs France:
    History:
    1 French win
    1 Draw
    11 American wins
    9:38 goals
    You can read more about this here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23850001

19. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I think Sonia B and Camile A are good players...But, I think US will beat France 99 out of 100 times.

I wouldn't be surprised if US won by 2-0 or 3-0...

I am thinking that US-France game will lack the excitement of US-Brazil game...

20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initial reports (or rumors) have Kirsti Heikkinen of Finland as the center referee.

This seems odd to the refs in the Referee forum since she's the same federation (UEFA) as France.

21. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Honestly I think my heart would be okay with a little less excitement ;)

Thank you everyone for all the information about France. From what I have watched and read so far they seem to be a tactical team that has some flaws that the US can exploit. Hopefully our girls will be well rested. I'm sure like everyone else I'm hoping we can manage the game early on so we can rest some players.

22. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Those of you who've seen France play and describe their style of play here seem to be describing a style similar to that played by their men's team under Zinedane Zidane's leadership. While the French women have no player in women's soccer of similar caliber to Zidane, it appears. would this description of France's style be on target?

France is not going to be an easy game. Teams that control midfield have had success against the USA in the past decade.

I am sensing that a willingness to use change-of-direction plays may be able to open the USA offense and perhaps expose the French back line. Does anyone concur?

23. AzNChicken

AzNChicken Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're correct in pointing out that they lack the talent to compare with the men's side, but the French women are still aiming for it - which is why it is brought up. I think people are aware that France is not at a competent level just yet to make it to the final. I just hope I don't end up eating my own words later.

Anything to pull the keeper off her line is what I'd play for.

24. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    France has had the most attractive style of play in the WWC. Nice short passing possession game, good movement off the ball, lots of freedom and creativity.Bompastor, listed as a defender, but is up in the offense an awful lot, and Necib, who plays "in the hole" but goes everywhere, have been among the best in the tourney.

But they have not finished well, and often seek the shot too early. Solo is not gonna give up many on shots from well outside the area.

I would like to see Morgan over Rodriguez. The Germans used size and speed to good advantage in their game.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    No longer rumor.

France vs. United States
    Referee Kirsi HEIKKINEN (FIN)
    Assistant Referee 1 Tonja PAAVOLA (FIN)
    Assistant Referee 2 Anu JOKELA (FIN)
    4th Official Christina PEDERSEN (NOR)
    Reserve Assistant Referee TBA

Heikkinen Showed red to the Fr keeper two games ago.

There is apparently no non UEFA ref available:rolleyes: