Pre/pbp/post 7/10 WWC USA vs. Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Namdynamo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Nice try. But now you are not only misrepresenting Rapinoe did, you are misrepresenting what I said.

I challenge you to tell me to find the words "fine match" or anything like it. All I asked you to do was end your cynicism and one side review of her game.

Here, for example, are some reviews from other sources.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/42863/us-player-ratings.html

Only Rampone and Solo received higher marks for the USA, BTW. They got 8's

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/42861/tenacity-trumps-tactics-for-astounding-usa-win.html

Just why is it that the tone of these folks is a tad, um different than your one sided " honest assessment".

I just don't see assessments of " awful all night" from anybody but you. I see " precision and guile" and " overridden by excellent attacking play" instead.

As to your stats, they are yours. I offerrred stats of 5/10 into the box for Rapinoe and nobody else passing into the box from a third party. You returned 4/9 - close, so I give you credit for at least looking this time. Did you forget the cross to ABBY? Bet you did.
    Did you find a different player who connected in the box as I claimed?

As to losing challenges, I guess that depends on what you count as 50-50 ball, and I'm betting you didn't exactly go into that with a neutral eye.

You still haven't acknowledged she beat Marta, or that she made a great cross to Lloyd, or that without her play the USA players would be back in the WPS right now. He best you could muster was " she made a difference". Well, yeah, I guess Bobby Thompsons home run to win the pennant made a difference, too. As you so eloquently put it, "DUH".
    ( I think he was 0-4 before the play that put HIM in history)

It's over. Give it up. She won that game for the USA with Abby. Now we are seeing her being called the game changer against France and for the USA. Coaches and students of the game are wondering why she isn't in there all the time. She is called along with Cheney, the most creative player on the team. If you want creativity, you have to accept risk and the missed attempts at creative play. People accept great failures it all the time with Marta.

I have reviewed and assessed your critique of her game with Brasil and found it wanting, if I haven't made that clear.

Please don't bother with a review of her game against France. I'm going with game changer, creative player, and difference in the game.

And for the record, I never called you stooopid as you put it. I called you a cynic. I stick with that assessment.

Open your eyes. It's a wonderfull game even when the perfect standard isn't reached. Sometimes even just trying for greatness is pretty awesome. You seem so caught up in a standard I'm sure you don't meet in your involvement in the game. I really can't see how you could enjoy it.

2. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    more Rapinoe stats from five aside

Midfielder Megan Rapinoe, who entered Wednesday's match in the 65th minute with the score level, continued to make an impact for the United States despite starting only one match. Rapinoe has made the most of the 219 minutes she has played, and the United States has been better in attack with her on the field. Of the Americans' 29 shots in the penalty area through five matches, 20 of them have come with Rapinoe on the pitch. Rapinoe's contributions, averaged out over 90 minutes, show how much more dangerous the U.S. attack is with her in the lineup. Goals per 90 minutes (2.5.) and passes completed in the attacking third per 90 minutes (55.9) are dramatically higher than when she is on the bench (1.7, 43.8).

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. People criticize the US for direct play and too much predictability yet they harp on the unpredictable, skilled players. The US unfortunately has very few unpredictable players and Rapinoe brings that to the team. Has everyone forgotten the sweet move she pulled on the Italian defender right before Rodriguez's goal in the second Italy playoff game? We need more of that.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently The Goal won the espy for Best Play last night.

5. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please please please STOP... Rapinoe's strength is not absorbing the "attack" from the opposing team. The USWNT will need her to be fresh at the end of the game (e.g., last 30+ minutes).

6. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Stop what? I never said she should start or she absorbs the "attack". I was pointing out that she is playing well and both personal and team stats back that up. I guess I am missing your point.

7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry ... my mistake. I thought you were making a case for Rapinoe to start in the Finals.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really follow the espys but I think Donovan's goal won last year too. But ESPN hates soccer....

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN and espnW have had great coverage of this WWC. And I'm not just talking about having every game available for viewing.

10. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    fyp.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, their coverage both on air and on the website has been great.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah, for the most part they are.

But I think the public is demanding it. Don't forget that last year the USA WC games outdrew the NBA finals when they were on at the same time.

13. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lloyd heilbrunn View Post
    i don't really follow the espys but i think donovan's goal won last year too. But espn hate Non-WC soccer....

back at you .. fyp.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Secrets out.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You certainly got defensive about her too. Nuff said.

16. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    That was the case at one time. Now, golazos from EPL, LaLiga, and even MLS are featured on top ten plays of the day. ESPN is now hawking MLS Game of the week. They are actually putting more cameras into covering the games than ever before. ESPN has conditioned me to not watch SportsCenter since they haven't covered much soccer in the past, but my glimpses of it at car wash and barber shop show that the coverage is increasing and improving.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The MLS contact is frustrating. They show a certain number of games. For the next month or so no MLS on espn. Instead there will be a bunch of exhibitions. There were 3 games the July 4th weekend.

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Big props to Bob Ley who is absolutely fabulous as the host for the prematch, halftime and post match shows. Totally professional, asks the right questions. Just a joy to listen to.

19. backheelscorer

backheelscorer New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    Abbotsford Mariners
    I was accused of trolling, but really, if it weren't for our achlethicism, we'd be a mediocre team. Vedry similar to our men, we genreally only score on set pieces. Don't get me wrong, I want to marry half this team, but as sopccer -players, there is too much "push the ball 8 meters and beat the oppopnent, then get pushed away from the goal. Repeated again and again. so if you can't beat a player down the wing, cut in and deliver a cross from there,.,.,. however, the USA TEAM never DOES THAT.
    If we win, we are lucky.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    We score three times against France. One was on a set piece.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    We score three times against France. One was on a set piece.

If you can't defend set pieces, you are playing bad soccer. In this case, with France not putting a player on the back post against a woman who has made her carreer off back post shots, it's dereliction on the part of the team or coach.

That's where to look for mediocre play.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I should have stopped there.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paid another visit to the referee's forum and noted that their thread about this game is the second-longest in that forum's history and is still going strong. (The longest is a chat thread that was started over two years ago.)

24. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBvRFNeMKc"]‪The USA's Reaction to Abby Wambach's Equalizer & Ali Krieger's Penalty Winner‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    EPIC :D