Pre/In/Post: Revs @ Red Bull, Match 7

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that's what we had Tierney for?

2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets faked out of his jock strap by Pontius, I'm sacred at the thought of what Henry would do to him

3. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That was McCarthy (if you're talking about the Pontius goal) and he made the initial mistake of first watching Soares instead of Pontius in addition to getting faked 1-on-1. I do think McCarthy has exceeded expectations at CB and is developing well, and I'm fine with him potentially playing against crap offenses like Columbus or Chivas - but he'll get burned bad in this one and I hope Heaps agrees. Lozano hasn't seen real game action since the opener either, so I'm afraid of his potential for PKs/cards.

4. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His original post was about McCarthy, so you're both talking about the same player and the same goal, though I don't think he (McCarthy) was watching Soares. I think SM (correctly, as he has the time to) looks over his shoulder to see if Pontius has any passing options but then for some reason I can't figure out, he lets him come back inside, versus playing him wide for a very savable strike.

5. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DCU can beat RB 4-1..then Revs can, at the very least pull off a 2-1 or better victory. Time is now to put all of those offseason moves the FO has been touting and make it pay off. Show RBNY, that you can spend all the millions you want on a beautiful stadium, star players and incredible marketing. But, that's nothing on Bob Kraft's tenacity as a "Sanford & Son's" style scrounger of diamond's in the rough in the worldwide "transfer station" of talent!!

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on the trade, I could accept Benny being shopped. I thought the discussion was dropping him from the starting lineup...

I will say that, based upon his supporting cast so far with the REVs, I could easily see us saying, "Why can't we get players like that," down the road.

7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, when I bash the Krafts, it's all fact! ;)

8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. There is little reason to go see them play now and trading one of the only interesting players on the team would do nothing but keep me away.

Besides, when have we ever ended up better when we've lost players for one reason or another? We always replace them with prospects that dont work out while the ones we've lost play for years for other teams

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, hence:
    But we have to learn to successfully trade someday.

10. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't need facts to know that Bob Kraft has made a mockery of the MLS brand in the Boston market...!

From Eurosnobs, USASnobs to plain old soccer bashers, MLS and the Revs are a joke..and in MY "un-Factual" opinion, it's all his fault..!

But, I still expect an emphatic win over the Burgundy Bovines! I mean all of this incredible work the FO did in the offseason is going to start paying off..!!

11. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily, trades barely happen anymore, we have to learn how to game the international market better. This season looks like we're heading in the right direction compared to the likes of Osei, Niouky, EJ, DomiDabo, etc.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if we lose, we are 0-for-April.

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey guys, just letting your know what to expect from NY on Saturday as far as the expected lineup, tactics, and how the two teams look to match up. Judging from last week's lineup and comments from Backe, NY should go out with something similar to the following, although with all of our injuries there might be some changes by Saturday:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Henry,Cooper,Ballouchy/Lindpere,McCarty,Palsson,Richards,Lade,Ruthven,Holgersson,Solli/Borrajo,Meara[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Where you may have an advantage:

• Our current defense consists of a converted midfielder at RB (who may also have to sit due to injury), a Swedish import with lead in his boots, our 4th string CB straight out of USL, a rookie LB, and our young 3rd string DM. Unsurprisingly, the communication and organizing was abysmal last week in DC and there's nothing to suggest it will get any better this weekend. The key for you offensively will be to play the same gameplan that you used to beat LA, counter quickly with numbers and send late runners into the box.
    • Our central midfield is prone to turnovers when under pressure, and lack the quick short passing skills to work their way out of tight spots. Again, I would go with a similar tactic that you used against LA which was having Simms play higher up the field and provide some defensive grit closer to our half, although I can understand why he hasn't been as aggressive lately without Joseph next to him to provide cover. If you do manage to force a turnover on our side of the field, you can bet on our makeshift defense will be tripping over each other trying to find their shape.
    Where you may be at a disadvantage:

• If you don't get enough pressure on our midfield and allow McCarty to move the ball forward and find Henry and Cooper, like Columbus did when we crushed them 4-1, its almost a certainty that those two will find a way to score. Henry is in the best shape he has been in since joining our team thanks to his preseason loan. He has been the most efficient player in the league when taking on defenders 1v1 and he and Cooper have converted a higher percent of their shots than any other strike tandem in the league (thanks OPTA!). The only thing that may hinder their performance is if Cooper falls into his usual habits of forgetting that he's a striker and trying to create instead of finish, which is exactly what he did last week against DC.
    Hope your traveling fans enjoy their time at RBA, should be an interesting game at the very least.

14. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick! Someone email this to Jay! We know their weakness!

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather shouldn't affect this game, highs in the mid 50s during the day.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably see this
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Sene,Moreno,Fielhaber, Joseph, Simms, Rowe, Tierney, Soares, McCarthy, Alston, Reis[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

But I'd like to see
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Sene ,Moreno, Nguyen, Fielhaber, Simms, Rowe, Tierney, Soares, Joseph, Alston, Reis[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, these boards are dead.

First game of three in eight days ... would love to take three points from this. I think Revs fans, having seen the DC/RBNY game, are pretty confident. I think most RBNY fans are pretty confident about this matchup. Should be fun.

18. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think there's also a possibility of this lineup, since Benny isn't as effective on the left and I doubt Nguyen doesn't start:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Sene, Moreno, Nguyen, Feilhaber, Joseph, Rowe, Tierney, Soares, McCarthy/Lozano, Alston, Reis[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Due to the FIXTURE CONGESTION~! Heaps mentioned rotating players in and out of staring positions to avoid exhaustion. Possibly guys like Simms, Rowe, Lozano, Guy, McCarthy, and Moreno are on the bench for some games and starting for others.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Heaps could use rest as the deciding factor in a tough personnel decision and give Simms a day off.

Certainly Nguyen shouldn't sit, Joseph is rested, Benny needs minutes to round into form and Rowe needs minutes to continue developing his confidence. Simms has been very good, but I think he's probably played every minute of the season so far.

Maybe sit Simms in favor of a more attacking lineup against a makeshift defense and then bring him back mid-week, when you can use Benny, Rowe or Nguyen off the bench.

The other lineup factor is that most coaches won't want to start many players who aren't fully match-fit, because that could end up tying their hands w/ regard to tactical substitutions. Benny isn't proven 90 minutes fit, neither is Moreno or Lozano.

20. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points are there for the taking in this one, as NYRB's back line is a disaster right now and they don't have the personnel to press the Revs with success. As mentioned by a few posters earlier in this thread, the Revs need to stymie the service to Henry and force him to drop deep and become frustrated, while Cooper continues to be the only person to think that he's a winger and/or play maker. The Revs should be able to play the ball out of the back, hopefully playing more of the possession game that we saw glimpses of in LA, which should expose some of the issues in that back line. The Tierney/Richards match up is intriguing - Chris needs to continue pushing up high, forcing Richards to defend and hopefully he cannot exploit CT on the other end of the pitch. According to the latest injury report, the Revs should be able to field a strong squad and should be the better side.

I'm quite jealous of those of you who are making the trek down to NJ and I expect that you'll be happy with the results.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read somewhere that the projected back four for RBNY has started less than 10 games in total.

22. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it seems that Lindpere is going to start on the left side of the midfield, so that inexperienced back line plus a central midfield of Dax and Palsson means the Revs need to come out VERY aggressive in this one.

23. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points. Wish I was making the trip.

24. Brian Gockley

Brian Gockley Member

May 20, 2004
    Lewisburg PA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could get posters like this ;)

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs Injury Report is out.