Pre/In game/Post - Rapids v SKC - Sat. 5/27/17

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 25, 2017.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    No need to say "Pablo, never change," because he won't:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...vs-skc-rapids-talk-special-rookie-kortne-ford

Kortne Ford: he's going to be good, isn't he?

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the article. Great catch! You had one of the "brave" Pablo-isms in your post, but he used the word "brave" twice more in the other quote:

“I think set pieces had been eluding us a bit heading into this game, whether it was delivery or really being brave,” Mastroeni explained. “For me that goal was huge, especially when it came from a young man who was brave in that moment.”​

Apparently "brave" doesn't mean what I was taught that it means (especially on Memorial Day). Apparently just heading a ball is now "brave." Ford's shot was good. He headed the ball down and toward the far post. I don't minimize his shot a bit. It was a solid goal, but . . . brave??? Apparently "brave" is this year's mysterious all-purpose Pablo-ism.

Also, set pieces haven't "been eluding us a bit" and not just "this year." They've been non-existent.

Maybe Pablo has earned a new nickname?
    Be brave and click . . . (open)
    BraveFart!

3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Low hanging fruit is the best fruit!

4. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    First game I attended this year. Ford was excellent defensively. Badji was awful.

The Rapids were horrible, but I thoroughly enjoyed the win. I think back to two years ago when Pablo said winning and losing didn't matter, it was how they played the game. Don't tell that to the paying public. I was surprised at how happy I was at the win.

But the priceless moment was when Tim Howard walked over to the KC fans after the game and taunted them, pointing to his name on the back of his jersey. KC fans booing and jeering. Damn, that was beautiful and my takeaway from the game.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  5. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inconceivable?
    R

Paranoid Coyote and jayd8888 repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    For much of the match, particularly after the goal, it seemed that the Rapids were playing with 10 men, or sometimes even 9.

In the first half it took SKC about three passes to break the Rapids' lines and get the ball into the box. Particularly effective at doing this were Latif Blessing and Jimmy Medranda. And When they got going it made it real easy for the Graham Zuzi to get done the wing and get into the attack. It was astounding that they didn't score numerous goals.

In the second half the Sporks were reduced to taking long range shots, most of which weren't really close. They had a ton of possession again, but weren't able to break down the Rapids to the point of getting the ball into the box to get a shot off. Certainly this played into the hands of the Rapids.

On the other hand the Rapids had almost no possession. About 90% of the time the ball seemed to stay in the half of the pitch the Burgundy Boys were defending. With nine men behind the ball there simply wasn't any outlet.

Random thoughts:
    • All of Gashi's free kicks were very well taken. They were hit with pace, purpose and curve. Interestingly he saw almost none of the ball when there wasn't a set piece. Perhaps the Rapids should try him up top with Doyle or Calvert?

• Pablo spent time giving very direct and precise direction to Eric Miller about who to get himself in good position to defend Zuzi during a break for injury.

• Vermes pointed to the ref as soon as the final whistle blew as if to say it was his fault that the Sporks lost.

• Pablo and his coaching staff rejoiced as if they had won the MLS Cup.

7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But enough about Pablo's coaching methods!
    :D

8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I didn't go to nor did I watch this game. A home win in the preseason is just that.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I saw the same thing. Don't get me wrong, the officiating was poor. But I thought in general the calls favored SKC rather than the Rapids. I'm not sure exactly what calls they thought cost them the game. But that's what coaches do--their team kicks a dozen balls onto the concourse, then complain about the call that supposedly cost them the game.

wormhole and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It sounds like I'm joking. I am not. Its dangerous to have a team out there in preseason form. There are crazy elbows to the face, running people over, the speed of people that care is actually a half step faster.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, fortcollins and 2 others repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blow to the head, easy call by the DisCo. Somewhat lucky it wasn't a red in-game.

14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree with you on this one. I always hated playing against inferior competition as they would tend to be rough. Of course more often than not I was the inferior version who was hacking up forwards....

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Looks like the SKC player sold it as much as Burling hacked him. I get that Burling's arm was near the face, so foul/yellow makes sense in the heat of the moment. I didn't see Burling push his arm out in a hacking motion (which is what I would see as a red/suspension), more just sort of held it up while running by. Not saying it was smart giving people the option of making a choice.

rod.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can we get PM suspended so someone else can give us a break from his Dalai Lama routine?

22SteveD and jimijam28 repped this.
  17. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes is a whiner. I hate the way he coaches.

jayd8888 repped this.
  18. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally by now as a player he'd have planty yellow and red......Also, maybe Vermes will talk to his team about hitting shots on goal, not to the crowd (zero points for the "crowd goals").

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    22SteveD and kucsdat repped this.
  21. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Centennial, Rod1916, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.