Pre-Gold Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, don't want to disturb players in the middle of earning spots in preseason over in Europe, besides a few who I don't think it really matters if their preseason is disturbed.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't particularly agree. I think he's very good technically, but thats pretty much it, IMO. Very small, weak, poor positional sense, bad defensively, not athletic enough to get around the field.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    No, you're right. Hyndman is good technically. He's also smart. But I don't think he's extraordinary.

My opinion is shaped greatly by the game in Frisco for Olympic qualifying, which I attended. He just didn't compare to the opponents. So in fairness, it's drawn from a relatively

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that's fair to Hyndman. He may not turn out to be a long serving national team player but the US got manhandled by Colombia mainly because the players we had who were the oldest eligible players weren't very good and younger players played up. Hyndman must have 3-4 years younger than some of his competitors. that's a lot at that age. I'm looking forward to the next U23 group as that could be a golden generation. Of course it could be shot down with all the best players not being released for qualifying and the US not making it with an all backups qualifying campaign.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Exactly. Other MLS players to consider for the outside CB positions in a GC are Orozco, Farrell, Josh Williams, and Morrow.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't use that game against him, but I do think the evidence against him is unfortunately most of the games he plays.

He can't really help his size, and thats understandable, but he can get stronger, he can get around the field better, he can go into tackles harder, and he can make better decisions when defending. If he improves those aspects, he could be a National Teamer. Right now, I don't think so.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I"d trust Arena's judgment as much as my own :) when it comes to other positions but in midfield I worry that he'll call Acosta to GC.

With Acosta playing Trinidad and Mexico in Jones' spot on senior team, we will get a very good gauge of his ability to run with the big dogs and we will not have to worry about his screwing up the midfield in GC.

Vanney can let go of Bradley for quali''s and Delgado for GC.

Seattle can give us Dempsey or Morris for quali's and Roldan for GC.

It would have been great to see Polster but we need Dax in lieu of Bradley for GC.

It would be interesting to see who could play double 8's in front of Dax out of: Trapp, Roldan, Delgado or Polster. The only one being used optimally at club imo is Delgado.

I had a lot negative response when I last asked if Shea should be in the squad. Second thoughts? (Somewhere, Jurgen is nodding sagely)

8. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Gold Cup should be 25 and under.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #134 IndividualEleven, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Brooks, Wood, Morris, and Johnson are pretty banged up; perhaps they get the Summer off.

The Revs and FCD only have matches on July 22.

Toronto play on july 17 and july 23; given TFC's depth and ranking, maybe Altidore and Bradly also play in the GC

The Union and Vancouver play through the GC; the players should stay with their teams, both of which need the stability.

If Zardes regains form then he'll make at least one roster.

Is Saief serious about switching?

WCQing; an over-sized roster will allow for more flexibility on the gameday roster at Azteca.
    FB: Yedlin, Chandler, Villafana, Orozco
    CB: Ream, Besler, Cameron, Gonzalez
    CM: McCarty, Bradley, D-Will, Acosta, Feilhaber, Roldan
    WM: Nagbe, Shea, Pulisic, Bedoya, Arriola
    FWD/Amid: Dempsey, Altidore, Agudelo, Sapong,

GC: up to 6 players can be changed out after group stages.
    FB: Lichaj, Morrow, Rowe, Villafana, Saief
    CB: Zimmerman, Hedges, Gonzalez, Orozco
    CM: Bradley, Feilhaber, Roldan, McCarty, Morales, Acosta
    WM: Arriola, Nagbe
    FWD: Altidore, Agudelo, Nguyen Dwyer Ramirez

Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena can change out 6 players this time after the group? I thought it was 4 last time... did they make a change or did JK just not use all 6?

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

AMENDMENT OF THE 23 PLAYER ROSTER a. Teams qualifying for the Quarterfinal of the Final Competition will be permitted to amend the 23 player roster and replace up to 6 players with 6 new players. Such replacements must be announced officially within 24 hours following completion of their final group stage match. b. The new players must be selected from the Provisional List of Players. Only these players will (except in the case of force majeure recognized by the Gold Cup Committee)

http://www.concacaf.com/category/gold-cup/regulations

page 21

schrutebuck and Footsatt repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think folks forget that Hyndman is still only 21 years old.

What is the age difference between Emerson Hyndman and a current member of our U20 national team? Not much. Emerson Hyndman is about a year older than a kid like Eryk WIlliamson, who's never played a professional first team match.

He's still developing and growing. Based on his performances with Rangers this season, I'd have no problem if Arena called up to the Gold Cup squad.

It kinda depends what his status is with Bournemouth. If he's in pre-season training fighting for a job at Bournemouth, then we should leave him there.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hyndman is out injured.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood is very obviously carrying an injury. That dude needs some time off. He gave his all in the survival effort, im not sure he has anything left. Im not sure hes gonna be good to go vs TT

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think the quali's group should play in Gold cup at all. Obviously there can always be an exception here and there that makes good sense. Hwvr, we really need to use the last bona fide tournament set up before WC Russia 2018 to plumb the depths of the pool for developing talent that will give us just the right depth in Russia.

so here are the guys that I call the Big Soccer best xi none of whom should be in Gold Cup. At least one of those xi, maybe two, will be unable to play for some reason in Russia just going by rule of thumb. We need find out who the replacements are.

BigSoccer best xi - natch 2 blob forward with Puli playing centrally and 2 diamond mids with a 6

---------------wood----Altidore
    -------------------puli----
    -----nagbe---------------------Acosta
    ------------------Bradley(C)
    --fab----Besler--------Cam------Yedlin
    --------------------GK: ?

I assume Brooks and Jones are out.

For Gold Cup I would leave all the above out.

For qualis's I'd leave out guys whom we really want to test in GC. So, a guy like Dax would be good at GC. I'd much rather see Arriola play a bunch at GC than sit on the bench in Mexico. How good would Morris be ? Agudelo? Dwyer ? At some stage, we will be making tough choices before heading to Russia. It would be nice to have some data on these guys.

With the depth in the pool right now I'm quite sure we can pick a GC squad that serves as a preparation for Russia and still feel like it is a squad that can win the off year GC.

17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but i think Wood is going to be too hurt to play and i would add Acosta to the GC roster. He just started playing for the NT, not a veteran that has earned time off.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wood is hurt, and even when he's not, he's not a starting caliber striker for us.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Bradley and Altidore don't participate in the GC then I would like to see a knockout round team of:

---------------Agudelo--------
    --------Rowe---Feilhaber---Nagbe---
    -------------Acosta----McCarty----
    --Villafana----------------------------Lichaj
    -----------Hedges---Zimmerman---

Feilhaber would play slightly more forward than he normally does; it's a guess as to whether he'll make the adjustment.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has to do something about Boswell. He was a phenomenal story for MLS 1.0, but hes been caught up in broken offsides traps often this year.

21. DeRo4Life

DeRo4Life Red Card

May 12, 2017
    Who do you have in front of him? Only arguments I could think of would be altidore or Dempsey

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I like two kids from U-20:

Josh Sargent and Derrick Jones.

Vios repped this.
  23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd add CCV, EPB, and Adams as guys to start integrating in silly tournaments like this and friendlies. Not sure how close any of them are to helping at this point, but we played Ream and Gonzalez CBs in recent qualifiers, haven't had a dmid without limitations in years, and Wood is our only true #9.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    ACC is contributing to a top 10 club in the world a little already and I built like a brick house.

Plus he still needs to be cap tied. I am 99% sure he is red, white and blue through and through but never trust those sneaky English.

25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Corona is a name I'd throw out. From what I've read he's been having a fine season in Liga MX as a CM. That's a position that's starting to get pretty old for us