Pre-Gold Cup friendlies [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by mcruic, Mar 4, 2007.

1. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Cuba was replaced by St. Vincent & the Grenadines

2. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Shouldn't Haiti send their U-20s or u-23s?

3. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    LOL, getting a little full of yourselves now are ya? :p :D

4. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well, this tournament will help improve or worsen the FIFA rankings of the teams who participate. Of the four games in this tournament, two will count as FIFA internationals, and therefore count towards the ranking. Mexico's two games will not be counted, as they are not playing with their full team. Haiti and Trinidad have the opportunity of playing two full internationals depending on how the games work out.

5. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    May 25:

Venezuela 2-1 Honduras

Vielma 20'[1-0]
    Arizmendi 39'[2-0]
    Pavón 44'[2-1]

6. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    pavon still playing:p

7. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    How old is he, btw? He was once the terror of concacaf. Apparently, he is still a dangerous player.

8. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Not really. Mexico is not sending their senior team. I have been told Cuba withdrew from the tournament and will be replaced by SVG. What kind of preparation is that? Why do you think Cuba withdrew? Haiti needs to play teams that are better than them or at least teams ranked higher. No disrespect to SVG, but playing them won't help us. T&T also probably isn't bringing their best available team. Sorry I don't see the point.

9. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Why shouldn't we? Teams we have badly beaten at youth and senior levels are full of themselves, does that bother you at all?

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don't think the Pavon that scored is Pavon Plummer.
    Any catracho that could corroborate this?

Metro

11. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Because you're still playing the senior T&T squad the first game, a team with young up and comers like Daryl Roberts of Sparta Rotterdam and a few MLS guys...if you bring a "U23" team like the one that lost to the US U20's then you'll get your butts kicked.

12. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Why do you care then? Haiti would be beaten, not Canada:eek: Why don't you just wait until that happens?

You probably think Haiti is Canada who failed to qualify for the WC in a group where 3 out of 5 teams qualified directly to the WC? You definitely have more to worry about than wasting your time in wishing that we lose.

13. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    WTF? why is everyone in this thread turning into defensive douches?

Dude, you're talking about blowing off a mini-tournament right before the GC! Where your opposition is bringing their senior team (or what's left of it) to the GC.

Geez, a few friendly wins and all of a sudden you guys are smack talking. Seriously, chill, there's a perfectly good tournament coming up in a few weeks for everyone to gauge themselves against the rest of the region...

14. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    So you'r telling me that if Canada were to win a tournament like the Digicel Cup, beat Panama, El Salvador and Honduras outscoring those 3 teams 7-1,tying Chile, you wouldn't feel just a little more confident then before? I don't see what the big deal is. Some of us just don't think it's a good idea to risk injuries or anything of that nature right before the gold cup. We already lost a couple players due to injuries. If we were playin like a Mexican B or even C team maybe it would be worth it, but we don't have anything to prove against SVG and even T&T ( neither do they).

15. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you're worried about injuries then why didn't you say so? The way you said it made it sound like you were above the other teams in your mini-tourney and disrespecting T&T, SVG and/or the Mex U23's.

16. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Well no, it's no disrespect to SVG, T&T or Mexico's U-23, it's just that before a major tournament, you should prepare by playing teams that are better than you or at least at your level. Inuries do worry me but thats not the only reason why I still think Haiti should not bring their full senior squad. Mexico is sending their U-23s because they don't see Haiti, Cuba ( at the time) and T&T as being good preparation for them. Cuba withdrew for the same reasons. Again, i'm not disrespecting SVG or T&T. Both those teams can beat us. However, a loss would hurt Haiti's confidence which is relatively high right now. Not necessary.

17. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    well i know it's kinda pointless to mention this before the Gold Cup kicks off but you do remember Haiti's ranked higher then Canada, right? i personally think it never hurts to come into big competitions like this 1 with a bit of swagger, as long as you're respecting your opponents.

I think the REAL point of the Digicel Shield is to allow the soca warriors to get their shot at Haiti again and to avenge their loss in the Caribbean Cup final because originally the match format wasn't setup like this.

Haiti should just rest their senior squad and just send their U-23 squad in preparation for the Olympic qualifiers.

18. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're right it is pointless. We play on June 9th, good luck.

So do you guys really want to duck the Soca Warriors?

19. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

Would Mexico play the US right before the gold cup? Again, there is no point in playing Trinidad. This goes both ways. Trinidad doesn't need that tournament either. A win would do nothing for Haiti, and a loss would be bad for the confidence.

20. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pavon is having a good time right now. The goal he score yesterday was a beauty. He also was the top goal scorer of Clausura 2007 with 15 goals.

He's not as fast or agile as he used to be but he's finishing shot still intact. He's still one of the most dangerous strikers in CONCACAF just like Blanco. They're not young, but you can't underestimate them.

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I stand corrected then. :eek: Good stuff: I loved him when he played for Morelia. It's nice to see amongst the goals again.

Metro

22. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    we won't need any luck, we got what it takes to go far. but good luck to you guys. speaking of pointless shouldn't the maple leafs' federation be busy right now setting up some more friendlies with Bermuda, Barbados, and anymore countries you know you can beat.

the Haitians aren't trying to duck the soca warriors, on the contrary it would be a good preparation match before the gold cup but it's not that hard to smell a setup here

23. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We play Venezuala on Friday..thanks for the sarcasm.

24. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    Well seeing as its pretty much the same team u guys beat to win the digicel cup I wouldn't be too worried playing T&T if I were u. It will probably be a similar match hopefully not a similar result for us.

25. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    setup by who, Jack Warner? The only ones getting setup here are the TRUE socawarriors and their fans.