Pre-Game Thread -- MLS Cup 2006 -- 11/12

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool ,we outta work on that during the off season. :rolleyes: 'Course, I wonder what it sounds like in Spanish?? :eek:

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I don't see why your boss would be upset, those are all valid points.

3. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    no spanish needed int this case.We have to sing SOME chants in english , to get the whole crowd going . Spanish chants will not do that !
    Just my 2 cents , I sat the first 12 games in 204 , and NOBODY was singing ,when chants were in spanish .Most people just DO NOT know the words !

4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Stadium info for Sunday -- PLEASE READ IF YOU'RE IN SECTS. 122/123

I'll be sure to wear a hat and dark sunglasses.

5. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Don't need to work at it...every Texan knows that song...and the clapping. :D

6. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two days 'til game time. See you in Frisco. Going to Dallas tonight. Might as well start drinking already and start the victory celebration. I hope the Revs know what they are getting into. Basically a long trip back home with a big L on their foreheads.

Go DYNAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Paint Frisco Orange!!!

I think my boss should let me go home and get ready for Sunday.

8. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can i still proverbally 'hang out with my wang out,' or 'rock out with my cock out' or will that get me in jail?

9. RedsFan46

RedsFan46 New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Not sure if I did the link right (first time). But there is a good article on Paul Daglish that was recently posted on the BBC website. If the link is no good, just go to the BBC Sport website and it is one of the featured articles in the Football section. Sorry if someone else already posted it but I did not see it yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/6136726.stm

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The stars at night, are big and bright,
    deep in the heart of Texas,
    The prairie sky is wide and high,
    deep in the heart of Texas.
    The sage in bloom is like perfume,
    Reminds me of, the one I love,

The coyotes wail, along the trail,
    The rabbits rush, around the brush,
    The cowboys cry, "Ki-yip-pee-yi,"
    The dogies bawl, and bawl and bawl,

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a gringo I can attest that this is true. Not that I mind the spanish -- I think it is cool. I just can't tell what you guys are singing let alone remember it for next time.

12. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, guys. I speak english and some spanish. I love the spanish language. When spoken correctly it is a beautiful language..
    Having said that, "I would like to hear a few more ENGLISH songs and chants".
    The sole reason is to get more of the stadium involved in the game. Solomente.
    No es un racista. I am not racist or prejudiced in any way. How could I be ? I am a houston soccer fan. I bleed Orange.:rolleyes:

13. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the simpler the better. Crowd favorites seem to be "ole ole ole" and "Let's go Dynamo!". But something they already know like Deep in the Heart of Texas would work, too.

English, Spanish, German, etc. - doesn't really matter to me so long as they are easy to learn/pick up on.

14. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blecch! Here's my guess why you've never heard that from 213 this season - it's corny crapola!

And let's see, by my count,

Ohh ohh oh oh, Go Dynamo

[clap clap
    clap clap clap
    clap clap clap clap]
    Houston!

Let's go Dynamo!
    [clap clap
    clap clap clap]
    Let's go Dynamo!

Ole ole ole ole
    Houston
    Texas (or Tejas)

are all in English. And two of our most used Spanish chants,

Yo si le voy, le voy a naranja

and

Vamos, vamos Houston
    Esta noche
    Tenemos que ganar

don't exactly require two years of college Spanish to understand or get the hang of. Admittedly, some of the other songs like "Queremos la copa" have words a little harder to pick up, but they've still been fun!

I sure didn't grow up speaking Spanish, but in Texas, especially in Houston 2006, you can pick up stuff practically by osmosis.

It's up to the English-speaking members of the TA to come up w/catchy chants that can work w/EB's drums, and hopefully we will next yr. To return to what started me on this rant, "Deep in the Heart of Texas" ain't it.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Re: Ching's a man on a mission

Freudian?

16. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zolafan,Glad you have an opinion on the subject. We will have some time in the off season to work on something. Anything but "We are the Champions". Way over used.

17. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been busy on the computer at my job so I have yet to read this entire thread but I will do some catching up soon. If any of you care.... I'm confident that Houston will win the 2006 MLS cup. Your team can overcome a two goal deficit and New England won't score more than two goals. I have nothing against either team but I would prefer to see your deserving team win.

18. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deep in the Heart of Texas is used at Astros games. Can't we just stick to more soccer-related songs and chants?

And here's a look at the weather for tomorrow: Frisco, TX

19. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RED lots are on the WEST side, but there are 3, and we are going to be in the northern most lot.

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Well, while "Deep in the Heart of Texas" may be corny and for the Astros, the simple fact is that most people in that stadium will know the words. Since they are estimating 5,000 Dynamo fans, what better way to get most of the stadium to sing along? I'm not suggesting that it becomes part of the TA/EB rotation, but for this game if you can get neutral fans to sing along, well then corny does have its uses...just ask Britney. :D

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the last update on the bus/car convoy:

Please check the convoy thread for the latest updates -- see changes posted Saturday 11/11 in RED BOLD.

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck!

I just wanted to thank the Houston fans for all the support they have given the team this year. As a Quakes fan, seeing the team in the MLS Cup is kind of a bittersweet experience, but I still wish them the best. Cheer and sing extra loud for us! Good luck!!!!

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I have to agree with both sides. the most popular spanish chants are easy. I learned them and I speak English and French. However, the point is if you are not right next to someone who knows the few words, you cannot make out what anyone is saying (if you do not speak spanish) so it is hard to get the whole crowd to pick it up. I like keeping to our roots and singing the spanish songs but one big english song every twenty mnutes is good to get eveyrone involved. Remember, we are going ot have a big presence but it will still only be a few thousand as opposed to 20. We want everyone there to be involved on a few key chants. Lets make it sound like they are at home!

25. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    My whole point is that if you want 15,000+ people who are not familiar with the Dynamo songs to sing along, you have to sing something they know. That's "IF" you want them to sing along. I speak English, Spanish and Portuguese fluently and honestly, many times I don't know what's being sung. I think the TA/EB do an incredible job at adding atmosphere, but I don't think Frisco kids are going to know their chants. My 0.02. Go orange!!!