Pre/During/Post Match Thread | Supercopa de España 2L | FC Barcelona v Sevilla FC | 21 Aug 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Re: Pre/During/Post Match Thread | Supercopa de España 2L | FC Barcelona v Sevilla FC | 21 Aug 2010

Under. Not because his skills or ability are down, but Villa will score 30+, and Pedro, Ibra and Bojan will score 20+, not enough games I am afraid. His assists though will skyrocket this season.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Re: Pre/During/Post Match Thread | Supercopa de España 2L | FC Barcelona v Sevilla FC | 21 Aug 2010

It will be hard to hit 40 but I think he can hit the high 30's.

3. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

I'm taking the over. He's spent the past 18 months or so in a zone where goals come looking for him. I don't know that his goal-scoring opportunities will decrease significantly (let's face it, he was assisting most of his own goals anyway), and if they do, he'll just get more clinical. I notice he's ruthless when the result is still in the balance, but when we get to 3 or 4 nil, he'll sometimes try something a bit more difficult rather than just routinely (for him anyway) putting the ball in the net. He could quite easily have gotten close to 60 last season if he really wanted to.

4. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008

Did anyone else see Del Nido's face after the 4th goal, he was pissed of and seemed to argue with Rossell about something, what that about?

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm all in with over 40. Still the best finisher on the team, there is going to be plenty of chances like that Villa/Iniesta/Messi combo for his third today. He'll have about 25 - 30 like that, about 5 - 10 Superman runs like he did against Valencia/Arsenal/Zaragosa last year, and then 10+ assorted goals (free kicks, lucky strikes, etc.)

Also, I spent the rest of the day after today's game drinking in the sun, so I might not be the best prognosticator right now. :D

Season's off to a fabulous start!

6. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Fantastic play by the team yesterday. Completely ran over Sevilla!
    Messi was on his game yesterday, scoring with his left and right leg. But IMO, the key was Xavi. He was on fire, controlling the tempo and handing out those trademark milimetric passes. He deserves the Ballon d'Or so much, it's sad he won't get it.

An interesting thing to ponder. Pep has won 8 out of the 10 trophies he has played for (and it took 2 ref mistakes and a volcano to keep him out of the final for the 9th).He has an 80% winning pct. :eek:

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also, David Villa's trophy to game ratio for Barça is 1. :D

(Adriano also)

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I don't see Villa and Ibra combining for 50+ goals. Unless Villa and Ibra are on the field at the same time often, which I doubt. If they stick with 4-5-1 then the "1" isn't likely to score 50 goals, especially with a finisher like Messi among the "5".

On the supercup...
    I know its a glorified preseason friendly but Messi was ridiculous on Saturday! If he doesn't win WPOTY that award loses any shred of credibility it might currently have.

9. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

Why wouldn't Ibra and Villa play together? Villa is outstanding from the LW spot.

I disagree on you with WPOTY. He is up there, but I would understand if Xavi, Iniesta, Sneijder got it. Winners trump all, and they were the main winners this year.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Scoring is still the toughest thing in this business. (As Ibrahimovic reminds us on a weekly basis. :p)

But yah, I just assumed the main purpose behind getting Villa is to play him up-front instead of Ibra. No sense having Pedro on the bench at this point in his career.

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

If we are talking about performances than Messi should win it. But of course since it was a World Cup year it's different. However this year was also abnormal because Forlan won the best player in the cup and he wasn't part of the finalists which isn't common. Plus I can't recall the last WC year that a player had a club performance as impressive as Messi's.

So overall it's a weird year in terms of voting.

12. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

The Forlan thing is true, he also won the Europa league. Nonetheless, Messi was the best player, but WC weighs so much (deservedly so IMO) that he probably won't win it.

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

I think Messi wins it, deservedly. Last time a player reached those heights was Ronaldinho in '05. Alternatively I guess Sneijder or Xavi or even Iniesta might end up winning. I would have said they might steal it, but I'd be happy for Xavi or Iniesta obviously. If one of them won they'd both point to Messi and say he deserved it more.

14. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008

Couple this with there is only one award this year, the FIFA Balon D'Or, therefore with coaches,captains and journalists voting the outcome may be different from a normal year.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I think if someone had a stand-out WC it would be deserved over Messi. But nobody really carried a team deep into this WC like we've seen in some past world cups. Not even Forlan.

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

if the award were given right now, it would be given to one of xavi or sneijder, maybe iniesta. but between now and december, messi is going to blow everyone out of the water ... again:cool:

back to the game. i was really impressed by pedro, i think the world cup has done wonders for his confidence and it's amazing watching him grow. last season, i don't think he would have made that run for that first goal. he would usually turn and pass back rather than take on his defender, but he seems to have really grown in confidence, and this might be something we start seeing more and more of from him. we still haven't seen the best of pedro, and that is really exciting! the way pep has man-managed and developed pedro, from subbing him on in stoppage time in the CL final to repeatedly rejecting the offered robinho, should be turned into a text book.

abidal was also a surprise in this game having a solid game at CB. he wasn't challenged much admittedly, but i was surprised by how comfortable he did look there after watching some comical defending from him playing that position for france. but i think he showed that he could grow into that position if given the chance and the coaching . and maybe it's not too crazy to think that his performances in that position may have had more to do with domenech than his own ability? if pep was undecided about recruiting another CB before the game, abidal may have changed his mind with this performance. if he can have a game like that against one of the best teams in la liga, then he has a place as the fourth choice CB, as well as the first choice LB, in the squad.

bojan, pressure is on kid! it was great to see pep showing his faith in bojan, especially after his breakthrough performances at the end of last season. i want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's still just regaining his fitness after the break. he will get a lot of playing time this season, if he earns it.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good post, and yeah we haven't talked a lot about Bojan lately around here. I don't know. He didn't impress much in these Supercopa matches. If I was him I'd really hope Ibra is on his way out because it's mighty crowded up front.