"Praise for Soccer Coach"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tigercub, Aug 7, 2004.

1. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I didn't see any posts regarding this 8/6 USA Today article...anyway, forget getting a new WNT team coach after the Olympics. It says; "her contract, which runs through the Athens Games, likely will be renewed."

2. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    here's the link to that article...

Heinrichs' work draws praise
    By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

3. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    So is the problem that April is a crap coach or as Dr. Bob says "some who don't want to recognize that they may be past their value or contribution."?

4. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

who are they do you think ?

5. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, I don't know who he is talking about. But I would guess the vets that were recently cut from the WNT (MacMillan, L. Fair, Roberts.) And maybe he was taking a jab at the '91ers too.

6. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Well, Dr. Boob in essence has said that April does not have the gonads to cut players who are past their value. It's an indictment against her coaching, though it was meant as a backhanded slap at the players who embarrassed him during their efforts to get equal pay. Dr. Boob does not want the women to regain any strength or success. Old animosities die hard...memories of women bargaining from a position of strength still haunt him. Otherwise he would not be singing the praises of an inept coach.

7. j&bontherock

I guess you right, especially MacMillan who got really upset...but i think she'll be back to the team in the near future, when she is able put her injury behind....

8. Heartplay

Heartplay New Member

May 21, 2003
    Texas
    DW,

I agree with your assessment of Dr. Boob and his animosity toward the women's team, especially the 91ers who openly criticized him during the negotiations following the 99 WWC. They "defied" US Soccer by scheduling their own indoor victory tour (of course, US Soc cer waited until the last moment to schedule their own outdoor tour) and then held fast when faced with the possibility of being paid a pittance for their efforts in the contract offered to them in late 1999. Their "punishment" was, of course, the hiring of Ape. I can't wait for the elections this fall and hope that Sunil Gulati is selected as new head of US Soccer. Anyone is better than Dr. Boob.

9. j&bontherock

Suni Gulati ? i haven't heard of it...sounds like an Indian hockey player...

10. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    "Contiguglia, who has known Heinrichs since she was 15 when she was a standout player in Littleton, Colo., and he was the president of the Colorado State Youth Association, says Heinrichs has improved the technical level of the women's program at every age level and helped identify and develop younger players such as forward Abby Wambach, the USA's 2003 player of the year, and midfielder Shannon Boxx, who shined in last fall's World Cup in her first stint with the team."

Didn't know that connection.

I think we're in for more of the same. If it's more like the China match, maybe it will be OK. 5 goals in the run of play in the last two games - things are looking up.

11. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    One more thing.
    What do you think of this one:
    "Though the 1999 Women's World Cup championship team is viewed as the measuring stick, Contiguglia said the 2004 Olympic team is the best the USA has ever fielded. "If you look at the videos of the '99 team, there's no question this (2004 Olympic) team is a better team. Back then we won on athleticism. Now we're winning with skill, with tactics, we're able to shift formations, we can attack from the wings, use wall passes. We couldn't do these things in '99."

Me thinks that although some of that is valid, it might be a little optimistic.

12. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado

"Back then we won on athleticism. Now we're winning with skill, tactics....." WHAT? Seems opposite to me. Back then we won on superior tactics, skills, and possesion that resulted in goals and a beautiful style of play. Today we play a direct, athletic style of play. The reason we win now is because of our athleticism, and we wear other teams down.

"Now we can attack from the wings....which we couldn't do in '99" Remember Brandi and Joy sprinting down the wings all game long? Obviously he doesn't.

I'm not bashing this team by any means. They're still the best and deserve to win, which I'm confident they will. I just think Dr. Boob has it all wrong here. He's is such an Ape gusher its sickening.

Let's reserve commenting on which team was better until after the tournament.

13. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Right on-sunli would toss April-Dr. Boob's endorsement of her and unrealistic assessment is very disturbing.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the biggest pile of cow dung I have ever seen. Dr. Boob has shown beyond a reasonable doubt that he is a lost soul looking for a clue.
    :eek:

15. j&bontherock

in that case, Milbrett's soccer career will be ended.

16. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    She doesn't know when to make a starter a sub or when to cut lose an older player.

Even though the US won today their game is not good.

17. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Good post...They need to get someone in there who will combine the ability of maintaining accountability with the wisdom to realize that US Soccer will become a dominant force faster, and with a stonger foundation, if all programs are supported and viewed as valuable.

18. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.

He has been a major player in US Soccer for years behind the scenes. When MLS was formed, his connections and talent were given credit by many for luring Etcheverry, Valderrama and Donadoni to MLS for the inaugeral season. I don't know his opinions regarding the women's game but he has solid credentials regarding the men's side.

19. Heartplay

Heartplay New Member

May 21, 2003
    Texas
    Sorry, I misspelled his first name. It's Sunil, not Suni, and he's a professor of economics at Columbia right now. Anyone should be better than Dr. Boob.

20. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not bashing this team by any means. They're still the best and deserve to win, which I'm confident they will. I just think Dr. Boob has it all wrong here. He's is such an Ape gusher its sickening.

Let's reserve commenting on which team was better until after the tournament.[/QUOTE]

well I'm relieved to hear other, more dedicated US WNT fans than I feel the same in that we could do better for a coach than Heinrichs. I'm sorry, but "prinz is the most dangerous player in the world" !?!? she's a big, slow-but-strong german with merely a knack for being in the right place to shoot--certainly not the 'most skilled' or even better than our top 4-5 players. In my opinion anything less than gold in Athens is unsatisfactory (and disappointing for the team of course), especially considering the results since '99, and there's no reason NOT to fault the coach--not with the talent on this team. That being said and responding to '99 v '04, or skill v athleticsm question, we've had to play more physical, since that's how other great teams have responded to our level of play (sweden, norway, and of course germany 8-0 over china!?!?) and skill alone won't do you any good when you're outsized and don't push back or outhustle and fight for the 50-50 balls.

Go Ladies! Remind everybody who the best in the world are!!

21. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    And MacMillan's too. By the way, Milbrett will be the girls soccer coach at a Portland suburb HS (Tigard, nothing to do with 'tigercub'.)

22. j&bontherock

We were not supposed to disclose our strength when scouts from other teams were at their presents during the game. That shows how smart our team is.