Pound For Pound. BJ PENN OWNS

Discussion in 'MMA' started by K:thecore, Jul 20, 2007.

1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's opted to stay at the 155 class where he is slated to go at it with the ever so boring Sean Sherk.

I think Penn takes this cat with a gogo but I'd love to see him melt this fool like he did way back when he fought Caol Uno.

BJ Penn is the baddest MOFO in MMA.

I hope his next move is up to 180s where he can re-establish his authoratay (Cartman)

Id love to see him fight a guy like Anderson Silva but only if Silva moves down.

Honorable Mention (almost a tossup) definitely goes to Anderson Silva. This guy is scary

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Penn showed what he can do when he is healthy and focused when he dismantled Pulver in his last fight.

I'm a big fan of his and I'm actually glad he's staying at 155 for now. He can take out Sherk while getting a belt at the same time. There are a lot of up and coming at 155 and BJ could be at the forefront of that as the weight class gets better known.

I don't like BJ going up in weight. It looks to me like it affects his fitness in fights when he had to gain. I don't see a Penn/Silva match ever happening because Silva isn't going to drop pounds to fight someone like Penn and Penn can't gain that much and be an effective fighter against someone who didn't have to cut weight.

[​IMG]

One fight I would really like to see is Urijah Faber pick up some pounds and fight Penn at 155.

I think that would be an electric fight.

[​IMG]

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Strongly disagree with all of that.

Penn needs to go back to 170 and fight the two guys who just beat him: GSP and Hughes, or he is certainly not the "baddest MOFO in MMA."

And he'd have to move up to 185, not 180, and that isnt happening, he's fought at that weight how many times ever? once? twice?

Yeah he beat Uno once, big deal, he also drew against him in their last fight.

Hopefully the MMA section will be full of more intelligent posting and less fan boy stuff.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dana White stated there will be unifcation bouts starting with Dan Henderson vs. Rampage, so hopefully Penn takes the 155 belt and fights Gomi again.

Henderson holds both the UFC equivalent light heavyweight and Middleweight belts(called middleweight and welterweight there), very impressive.

5. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only fight I care to see where Gomi is concerned is with N. Diaz (another one of my favorites) only because I see Penn dismantling Gomi again.

Dont get me wrong, Gomi is a bull but there are too many holes in his game...the kind Penn will make a mockery of. He's closer to N. Diaz and Diaz to me is a bit of journeyman quite frankly. Awesome ground game though and tough all the way around though.

As shown against little Jens a fit Penn is a destroying Penn. Not that Penn or Uno are benchmarks in any way but definitely respected fighters. Penn LET Pulver out of two subs in the last match...just to beat on him a little while longer. I thought that was a truly creepy display of dominance.

Regarding GSP, that fight shouldve gone Penns way and I see it his way in his post match quote ("I mean look at us bra....hes going to the hospital afterwards, Im going to get a drink at the club.")

He beat Hughes once before, He'll beat him again. Watching Hughes face when he torched Pulver last was priceless. A fully fit Penn is something to behold. He'll destroy Hughes if he's in top notch shape.

Agree with you on Anderson though.

6. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And if you really think that your ode to anti-fanboyism is that much more intelligent than my post, you should really start another thread.

Im anxious to see how dumb you really are.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah making claims like Penn should move up and fight for the 185 title, that's real intelligent.

If BJ Penn only is dominant when he is fit, then we can chalk up his losses to laziness? That would also make him clearly NOT the baddest man in MMA.

Your whole argument is full of holes.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would I like to see Penn fight GSP and Hughes again? Yes. But I don't know how he'll react in the ring with more weight. Then again he does have the great skills to beat them both.

170 is the highest I can see him fighting and once again I don't think it's the best fit for him.

Stick around, join in the threads the way you have here and start some good threads on your own! Then we can make sure we have plenty of good threads about all things MMA related.

It took a month for us to convince them to start an MMA forum and now we have to prove it is warranted.

9. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Dude...I just said that was a wish. Hell, I think Penn could give anyone in UFC a run of for his money irregardless of weight divisions and he said it best with "In a street fight, there are no weight classes."

But I know that the more weight Penn gains the less likely he'll dominate...unless he's just a complete rock of fitness. His ideal weight obviously is 155s but theres no one here to fight. Sherks lay and pray does nothing for me.

The book on Penn has always been that he gasses. The fact that he had his way with a Pierre who was fireballing in momentum at the time and destroying Hughes were testaments to that. So, yeah, him correcting that and coming in nails shape would make him the baddest man in MMA pound for pound. The only other guy I find comparable is Anderson Silva.

So tell then...who do you qualify as the baddest pound for pound.

Im giddy with anticipation. :rolleyes:

10. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Diaz vs Sanchez (not me):) 2 would be good. Diego has impressed since I first saw him and Diaz is always a tough fight. Some of the TUF guys are starting to show promise. I know nick isn't one but Diego is a very good fighter. Has Sanchez fought Parisian I honestly can't recall.

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Diaz just doesnt get his shake. Well he'll be out of suspesion soon (smoking weed) so it'll be nice to see who he fights next for Pride.

Yeah I'd pay to see that fight. Everyone seems to shit on Sanchez but I think he's probably one of the best out there.

Would go nutz to see Penn vs Sanchez too, though Id think that would be a quick affair for Penn.

Dont think Karo and Sanchez have met.

12. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Karo and Sanchez have met. Was IMO the fight of the year in 2006. I have had the pleasure of seeing Diego roll training and his intensity is amazing. Goes 110% all of the time, which is why i dumbfounded as to why he fought like he did against Koscheck. It was later revealed that he had a staph infection which makes sense. Kosheck has come a long way as well.

Penn annoys me. He has more talent than anyone in the world but he has to choose division and stick to it instead of bouncing around every weight division possible. I think had they of met, Sherk vs. Penn would have been a very close encounter.

13. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont remember if Karo threw Sanchez (Im certain he did) and that was my way of remembering if they had fought. Karo has judo thrown every one of his opponents and thats the draw for me. His judo throws are amazing because of the dynamics and also because he does them without ggi's.

Sherk and Penn are slated to square off this fall in UFC 78.

14. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
  15. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't think they ever fought but Penn against Karo Parisyan would be a great great fight.

Penn can move to welterwight to fight Karo no problem.

16. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

17. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looks like the Sherk- Penn fight might be on indefinite hold since Sherk was found to have steroids in his system after the Franka fight. Loser.

Penn's quote after the discovery was hilarious..."Wasnt it obvious?!?"