Pottytraining

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by flowergirl, Apr 24, 2011.

1. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, my beautiful 2 1/2 year old boy is going to pre-school in the fall (about 3 weeks after he turns 3) and he has to be potty trained!

Please tell me any tips, what worked for you, etc. We already have a potty for him, and he will sit on it occasionally, but no actual pottying yet.

Thanks for your input!

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    for me 2.5 is quite early!

Some kids get in to it sooner than others - our nearly 3 yr old is only just starting to get in to the idea

Also summer is a much easier time to do this. I would not bother in the winter - too much work.

3. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, we weren't even going to bother really working on it til june or july. just trying to get other people's input. is anything in particular working for you?

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well for us the big advantage is that she is in the Kindy and so gets the example of the big kids

But there, and at home, we tend to focus on just one time of day

Kindy it is after lunch/before the day sleep
    At home it is right after dinner

We focus on getting her to take clothes off (she often does this herself anyway) and we ask her to get the potty out

What is helpful in summer is you can go without the nappy and have the potty out all the time - so I might start doing that in the weekends soon

It obviously helps a great deal if you can remember when she last went so you can then anticipate when is a good time to try

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You've got 4 months, that should be plenty of time. Summer is the best time to do it, as Jitty said, just less clothes to get on and off and less to wash. And the age is fine, so you should be good.

We had started out with both of our kids in cloth diapers for the first 6-8 months, got tired of changing so many diapers and eventually went to disposables. Once we got the kids acclimated to the idea of potty training -- potty out, going to the bathroom with the kids in the bathroom, seeing older kids use the potty, etc etc etc -- we would put the kids in cloth diapers during the day when we were going to be home for the day. Kids and you get instant feedback that they went to the bathroom. And at that age, wet cloth diaper, you'll get feedback. We would put cloth diapers on for a week, so how it went, take them off for a week or two, then try again for another week. My wife remembers better than I, even though I was the stay-at-home parent, but within two months say, the kids were ready to work on their self control. At that point we put them back into disposables (because they could tell us when they'd had an accident) so it was less stressful on both parents and kids, and both of my kids took only about 3 weeks to get fully potty trained.

6. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, it's already going well without trying. he's peed in the the potty 2 nights in a row! yay! we figured if we keep asking enough and he sits on the potty enough eventually something will come out, and it has!

baby steps... :)

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Great news!

We are doing the same at the moment - focussing on right after dinner

i second what Val says - taking the nappy off and letting them get wet is important

because we have an old house with wooden floors, this isn't so dangerous!