Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Allison is 27 - provided he wants to be here, it's at least 4 years (more likely 5-7 years left at near peak) before we need to think of replacing him.

2. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Klopp could form an effective 3 out of 4 rotation that would give plenty of games to Timo as well as the current front three. You'd think that smart players would see the long term benefit to not having to play in so many games.

soccershaggy and delaynomo repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  4. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Yes, but I'm sure players of that level also have plenty of individual performance incentives in there contracts that mean more money if they accomplish them. Which requires play time to accomplish.

imasyko repped this.
  5. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I wonder if that isn't something that may fade away. If I have a clause in my contract that rewards me for scoring a specific number of goals, might not that cause me to take on that last defender myself rather than passing to a better placed teammate? I wonder how most of these incentive clauses are worded, and just what they reward?

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby used to have a goal-scoring clause... 75k a goal.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems like we are ready to pay 125 mil EUR for Kai Havertz in summer. Also in the mix: Bayern

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #184 White/Blue_since1860, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    125 mil "EUR". Let's not use a monopoly currency when talking about transfers ;-)

But yes, I'm not sure he's worth it

10. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is? On the other hand, Klopp's other two huge purchases, VvD and Becker, have worked out ok, I guess? :)

And as a club, we're at a point when we can be selective about who we bring into the squad - getting quality replacements for our aging players. It's not only Lallana I'm thinking about - how long can Hendo run 10 miles/game for 50+ games a season? Plus, Ox and Keita seem unable to stay injury free for any length of time.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jones.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Havertz is not a CM. He's am AM/winger. So he would be a backup for Mane/ Salah and perhaps even Firminho

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  14. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, but the post above said 'midfielder' so I just assumed...

I stand corrected.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could play out of midfield too, probably.

I don't know how much cost matters, he would be a great versatile addition and in time could probably play anywhere across the front line.
    This is the kind of signing a huge club makes when they are on top of the world and still want to press the advantage.

16. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this happens it is because we are likely moving Salah along. It could happen... I mean he’s really good, but his interplay with other attackers is not the same as Firmino or Mane. And while his goals to games ratio is really good, it has tailed off from when he was on fire.

I’m not saying I want to see him go, I don’t. But if there were one of the front three that I think was moveable, it’d be him. And if he does move, then Havertz would seem to be a natural replacement.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's any indication that a 20 year old attacker spells the end of Salah!

Do you think City cares about buying expensive backups? What's so scary about rotating with real quality, I don't really get this mindset. City did it for years with their strikers. If anything, it seems like it could prolong the life of a Salah or a Firmino at Liverpool.

CB-West repped this.
  18. Navieko

Navieko Member

Jun 23, 2006
    QLD Aus
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I'd like think Liverpool are thinking ahead to next season, knowing that City will spend BIG to reinforce their squad in order to compete, and therefore are willing to dish out some coin to provide real quality options/competition to our front three. If this is their mindset I can see them pulling off a big money signing like Havertz. He definitely looks to tick the right boxes.

19. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Consider it protection because the AFCON is moving back to January next year and our attack could be neutered for a month.

imasyko and EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buying a 20 yo attacker for 100 million euros likely does mean someone will be spending significantly more time on the bench - and that person won't be the expensive new player. Maybe City is fine doing this, but I doubt we do it. So yeah, if we do actually buy Havertz I do think that this likely means one of the established front three are moving on (for a handsome profit).

But ultimately this is all just a bit of useless banter at this point, since this is just rumors...

21. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This...:thumbsup:

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club: