Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe Chet was involved somehow?

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Triangle? Pah!

In England we have the Famous Five and the Secret Seven. Way more permutations.

el-capitano and CB-West repped this.
  3. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all those guys spent too much time "waxing their jalopies" ;)

CB-West repped this.
  4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow Ryan Giggs is involved isn't he!

delaynomo and el-capitano repped this.
  5. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    #155 Menace2Sobriety, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Whoa! I’ll show myself out.

newterp repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gonna be a problem going forward... granted it's a good problem to have, but with a clear first choice 11 and, eventually, a clear first choice back 6 (with Fabinho), will be interesting to see where Liverpool can strengthen.

Minamino seems like a good buy, I'm all for it... but surely at some point a splash of the cash will be necessary? Will we have to wait for one of the clear first choice players to leave to see it happen, would be my question.

7. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you are not ready to fight against the best for a place in the team you are not worthy of a place in the team

augie, Wingtips1, Crooked and 2 others repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that may be true... but that's not a compelling pitch for players entering their primes who want to play matches, and frankly need to play matches to keep up with their national teams.

9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've said it before...but it is worth repeating (IMO)...
    I'd much rather have Mane, Firmino, and/or Salah be replaced with a young sprog in the next five years, than buy a "finished player" to replace them next year...and that goes for just about anyone...if Brewster makes it back in a year or two, or if Origi continues to improve, to the point he becomes a choice over one of our current front three - that'd be great...

We've got a great group of youngin's including:

Kelleher 21
    TAA 21
    Gomez 22
    Jones 18
    Hoever 17
    VanDen Berg 18
    Elliot 16
    The list goes on...

ewibe repped this.
  10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, that's a nice plan, in reality youth doesn't pop at a high enough rate or reach the level of players that you have to pay expensive transfer fees for.

It's a great problem to have... but there needs to be ambition in the market for every single replacement brought in. The talented youth, they can cover in the cases where things just don't materialize, but major clubs deal with this problem. They still aim to spend in the market, even when they have strong sides and de factor starters in multiple positions.

CB-West repped this.
  11. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    We were discussing succession planning at the local during the derby. It’s really interesting the various viewpoints fans have of what they would do vs. predicting what Klopp and team might do.

If we win the league this year, I think we have one more season with this core team and try to defend, with difficult decisions summer of 2021.

Front 3: With no basis whatsoever :) I believe Mo will be first to leave. Elliot IMO will be better as a “10” and I have high expectations. I think we’ll spend on someone approaching their prime...summer 2021 maybe(?) but wouldn’t be surprised with an investment in a wide forward this summer.

High hopes for Minamino. Brewster is still TBD for me.

Midfield: Hendo and Gini are 30, but they’ll be impactful for a few more years. After that, Gini’s contract is a legit question. I love Gini and would hope both he and Hendo take Milner’s path.

Naby - Fab - Ox - Jones + Elliot + the geezers is still very strong, but we’ll likely need investment in 2 years or so.

Defensively, Joe is the natural heir to VVD and hopefully Hoever steps in as the 2nd/3rd center half. I do think Dejan will leave this summer. Will Klopp look for a replacement? :whistling:

Impressed with Williams as backup for Trent. We’re sorted. Unsure still about Larouci and maybe why rumors in the press about a LB.

So happy with the state of the club. Amazing.

soccershaggy, Suss, CB-West and 2 others repped this.
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Mo will go first as well.

13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll leave it at your last statement, Menace...

Not that I disagree with any of your analysis/discussion, but more that the thought of players leaving at this point, in this season...just not gonna do it...:thumbsup:

delaynomo repped this.
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Seriously?
    How many players have joined barca/bayern/madrid/etc over the years with no clear place in the team for themselves? granted, they were likely also swayed by the huge pay packets on offer, but being a member of a 23 man squad shouldn't bother most players.

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    News has it that Götzes transfer to Bayern in 2013 happened against the clear will of his agent because the agent thought it was too early for him. In 2016, his agent had him convinced after his rather unsuccessful years at Bayern that he needed to move.

Through the first half of 2016 his agent was negotiating a transfer to either Liverpool or Dortmund. The talks got really far. It was Klopp's first year. But Götze declined and announced publicly he wanted to stay. Liverpool and Dortmund revoked their offers. His agent quit after this and his father became his agent. Bayern then told him he should leave but in summer 2016 Liverpool werent interested anymore. Instead Gini and Mane were transferred. Götze had to go to Dortmund and accept a less paid contract.

So, the rumors at the time were true and not much was missing for him coming to Anfield

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He hasn't really fulfilled his early promise, has he?

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because of his own doing. He got injured (pubic bone) and was out for 3 months in summer 2013. He went into the gym for that time and also for most of his time at Bayern. His flat in Munich was a gym with bed. He really overdid it. He couldnt stop. That birthed two things: He lost his explosiveness, his acceleration. It also birthed his metabolic disorder.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And beyond, too.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you're joking, right? :)

20. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're saying he worked out excessively? He never looked like that to me, but I'll take your word for it since you know bundesliga more than I ever will

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is what is reported now that his 2nd time at Dortmund comes to an end. At the time, I didnt realize it. During WC 2014 I noticed he got "fatter" though

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    surprising after the way Adrian has been able to step in.

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree.

However, don't know anything about him, so maybe they see him as a potential long term successor to Alisson?

SamScouse repped this.
  25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    First glance I thought you said Beyonce!