Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat Phillips is returning from his loan at Stuggart. He gives us another option at centerback if Matip and Lovren continue to be injured. He was impressive in preseason, but it doesn’t seem to have worked out at Stuggart.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wonder if he's pencilled in for the FAC game on 5th?

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It has. He's not been recalled because he was not playing well, but because he was needed. He was rested for the last game due to 'angina', but he had started the 3 games before that.

At Stuttgart he was always meant to be part of the squad. Their other CB's were 24 year old Kempf, their captain, 30 year old Badstuber, capped 31 times for Germany and won the league multiple times with Bayern and Polish international Kaminski. He's up against good players and the way Klopp talked about the loan in the summer it was as much to learn from the way they play as it was to play every game.

Phillips has forced himself into the team, missed a few through injuries, but 11 games, 9 of them starts, is pretty good for the players he is competing with.

To add to that he averages 75.7 passes a game(their second highest in the squad which is impressive given two of his games he was a sub), with a 87.8% completion rate.

• VVD 76.7 passes a game; 87.7% completion rate

• Matip 70.1 passes a game; 83.1% completion rate

• Gomez 38.7 passes a game (most of his games have been from the bench); 87.6% completion rate
    So we can assume he is comfortable on the ball.

Before Samscouse starts accusing me of being related to another player to try to end all conversation, I am only making this post to add context to the player. Sorry if Sam does not like it.

Kawklee, newterp and ewibe repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ???

wtf is your problem? go screw yerself you idiot.

5. mwake

mwake Member

May 6, 2018
    Great comments agreed....looking forward to see what type of fine wine Klopp will make ftom Wilson. This season has proved that we need a bigger squad. People get injuries and form drops off sometimes do the more good players in the squad the better.

However I wouldn't be upset some prime Edward-nomics where we sell Wilson for 25m+ and use that money to get Wolves' Adama Traore for 60m+

idreamofpikas repped this.
  6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp talks about bringing Nat Phillips back

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fi...cslnbBaYWqLnTIIFd9sp1lRup-AEJdXzXVNUMEkZ_CceM

• Jürgen Klopp has explained Liverpool’s rationale behind the decision to end Nathaniel Phillips’ loan spell with Stuttgart.

• Centre-back Phillips has returned to Merseyside after spending the first half of 2019-20 in Germany with the promotion-chasing 2. Bundesliga side.
    • The 22-year-old will now bolster the defensive options available to the boss, who is currently without the injured Dejan Lovren, Joel Matip and Fabinho.
    • “He’s our boy, he’s on loan at Stuttgart and is doing really well there,” Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com.
    • “For people who don’t know, Stuttgart pretty much should be, together with Hamburg, the best team in the second division. They are third in the moment, they want to get promoted obviously, and they unfortunately sacked the manager because they are not happy with third place so you see how ambitious they are.
    • “They are a football-playing side and Nat is doing there really, really well. He played, I think, 11 games.
    • “Now we have the situation that we have and we thought ‘what can we do to help us a little bit?’ and we asked Stuttgart if they would be ready to give him back to us for a while and they said ‘OK’.
    • “I don’t think we asked Nat, actually, but he looked really happy yesterday [Friday] when he was in the dressing room so it’s just a nice story that we can do something like this. I hope that from Everton he will be available.”
    • Phillips missed Stuttgart’s final outing prior to the German winter break, but Klopp stated that his absence for that game was down to illness, not injury.
    • “He was ill, that’s how it is,” the manager said.
    • “And the two guys who play if Nat is not playing: one is [Marc-Oliver] Kempf, who is a big prospect in Germany, and the other one is Holger Badstuber, a former German international for plenty of years, so he has to fight for his place there.
    • “But how I said, when he was playing he was really good and hopefully we can see that here as well.”

newterp repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense to me. I think Phillips went on one of the US tours and looked pretty good.

This gives us a CB that will allow VVD or Gomez to be rested during the Everton FA Cup game and one that has professional games under his belt. It's supposed to be a short term return if I read it right.

idreamofpikas repped this.
  8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Lallana was like Milner. Unless he signed a new contract before January 1st, he could talk to any team in the new year and be gone on a free at season’s end. Milner signed an extension, but Lallana hasn’t.

Word is that Klopp wanted him to sign a 1 year extension, but that Lallana wanted a longer one or a new challenge where he was going to start more often. Whatever the intricacies, it would appear he’s gone in May/June.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This from the "Fail" how could it be wrong? II don't know anything about him but if Klopp does want him, well.

There's already a song about him!!!!!! Oh wait, that was the Diego who retired this year. That SARN wouldn't sell to us.

Liverpool 'in talks over £65m deal for Sevilla defender Diego Carlos' as Jurgen Klopp looks to sign long-term partner for Virgil van Dijk

Liverpool are locked in talks over a stunning £65million move for Sevilla defender Diego Carlos as Jurgen Klopp looks to sign a long-term partner for Virgil van Dijk.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-65m-deal-Sevilla-defender-Diego-Carlos.html

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't see why Gomez isn't seen as Virgil's long term partner, myself ....

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing I can think of is it must be some kind of behind the scenes, attitude thing that comes up from time to time; because he's the best option we have. Maybe Matip (when he's not injured) is right up there but Joe is top class.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah could be. there's been rumblings about him being unhappy - hopefully that will go away completely. I'd hate to see him go to a competitor.

13. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Nate is going to be with us until 1/29 when the BL returns to action. Matip and Lovern should be healthy by then

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not going to happen.
    We're not spending 65m on another defender unless it is to replace VvD in the event of a career ending injury in the next two years.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp all but confirms that he is in this article:

https://www.football365.com/news/klopp-makes-gomez-liverpool-admission-that-was-the-only-reason

The emphasis is mine as Klopp is saying that the others 'stepped' up to cover for the absence of the first choice CB.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We have a a lot of good investments in the business of Liverpool FC.
    Keep showing them in cup game shop windows or on tours. This is prolly the only chance they'll get to play first team for most of them.
    Good kids all. Good investments. I hope it doesn't sour them for the game.

18. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some reports said Swansea deal was already agreed after the game yesterday.

21. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their friend Nancy is a pretty good detective too. But I do wonder if there was a weird love triangle going on there.

el-capitano and CB-West repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow... given that the two hardy boys were brothers, that would be one weird triangle...

CB-West repped this.
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly