Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest we should be thinking about adding at least one player this winter especially given the potential significance of this season.

Robertson and AA are going to be run into the ground - I would really like to see a FB that could cover both come in. I like Milner and all, but I don't think it's a feasible solution.

There is even a thought about bringing in another attacker to help rotate with Origi in the front 3. It would really have to be a quality player - and one we want for the long term for that to happen in my opinion.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree 100%. right now the backups are Millie and Gomez. Clyne looks like he won't be seen again, which is a shame.

that said I don't know who we'd go for .... but I rarely do. :)

we have Brewster in line behind Origi. don't think we'll bump him further down the list.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our stock should be pretty high at this point, so we can get most available players for the right price.

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There is lots of talk of Jadon Sancho being our next big target. He wants out of Dortmund, and Dortmund are ready to sell him, maybe as early as January.

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We have also been linked to Ryan Fraser from Bournemouth. I believe he is out of contract this summer. He could be solid cover for Mane on the left wing.

However, I think we may have an eye on him as cover for our fullbacks. The positions he takes up in Bournemouth’s 4-4-2 are probably very similar to the positions that our fullbacks occupy in Klopp’s system. He also has very impressive assist numbers.

I think that is the best way to find cover for our fullbacks is to look for midfielders who can be converted to fullbacks.

SamScouse repped this.
  6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got speed and a good work rate. If it was a sensible deal - 20m or under I'd take him. If B'mouth try to grab 30m+ = no thanks.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good thinking, suss.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If they want to keep Harry Wilson on a permanent basis, that could be part of the deal.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's been awful this season. Him and Callum Wilson have not matched previous seasons levels and are a big reason Bournemouth are struggling to win games.

In the summer I would have said yes, but now he looks a liability given the wage he is asking for and genuine question marks whether he can be as productive in any system that is not 4-4-2.

Spending 20 million on him makes no sense given we'd be better off cancelling Harry's loan and acquire a player who is not only better suited to our team but useful off the bench( 3 goals against Man City and Spurs this season coming off the bench) than Fraser who may have peaked.

He's out of contract because Bournemouth don't think he is worth what he is demanding. This is not an Erikson case where the player wants to move on for ambition, it is a player who has had one excellent season and is trying to cash in and get a contract similar to the one they gave Callum.

He is more of an old-fashioned winger, more than a modern day full back. He is very protected by (the excellent) Rico and Daniels in previous seasons on the flank. Him playing as a full back would be nowhere near as effective.

Consider the fact that he averages 25-30 passes a game for Bournemouth. TAA and Robertson average in the mid 60's for Liverpool. Now that is not entirely on Fraser, it is a feature of Bournemouth and Eddie Howe's rigid 4-4-2 tactics, but it seems a gamble to suggest that he would fit into our full back system that is high energy and constantly in the game. His tackling and interception stats are also nothing special. Even Harry Wilson averages more than double the amount of tackles a game that he does.

He also does not get as many assists as people think. Last season it was an awesome 14 assists in the league from 35 starts, in his 52 other league starts it has been 11. Last season may be the aberration, not the norm for him.

Last season 5 of his 14 assists were directly from corners. I suspect he would not be taking corners for Liverpool, which limits one of the reasons he is valuable. From a money ball perspective, we'd be paying for a skill we'd not be using. His wage makes sense to smaller clubs who would be utilizing his corner and free kick taking, it would be a waste of money for us.

I think there are better players to pick from than a Scottish winger who has played almost all of his career in a 4-4-2 and may well have fitness/stamina issues preventing him from playing in that role.

It is also kind of pointless buying him in the winter as even if we could convert him, it would take a preseason to do so. There simply would not be the game time to adapt him in a title challenging season mid way through.

I do agree that cover for the LB slot should be the main priority this window, but I disagree that Fraser is that player. He's out of form and potentially ill-suited to that role and would be asking for near parity with Robertson when it came to wages.

My outside the box suggestion is John Lundstrom. Excellent long balls and passing in general, has the engine and used to following direct orders and happens to be a scouser.

He's a player who started his career as an AM in the mould of Stevie G, dropped deep to play DM and is now used in Wilder's revolutionary overlapping tactics which see every player constantly switch position, from wide to centre depending on the overlap.

Red Bird, Suss, Serengeti_Boy and 2 others repped this.
  10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a note the last quote was Suss.

idreamofpikas repped this.
  11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mods are allowed to edit their post too ........... ;)

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brazil striker Gabriel Barbosa, 23, who has scored 43 goals in 56 games on loan at Flamengo from Inter Milan, has said he would like to play for Liverpool.

Wingtips1, Red Bird and idreamofpikas repped this.
  14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the money Dortmund will [rightly] want is too high for what we can afford to pay.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He looks good but wonder if Inter will make the same mistake it did with Coutinho?

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hopefully Lovren's injury yesterday turns out to be minor ... but in any event, with Matip and Fab both out for extended periods, we are looking damn thin at CB. maybe we should bring in an experienced guy who can fill in for a while?

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fair enough. You clearly watch way more Bournemouth than I do. I was just trying to make sense out why we would be linked to him. I think it makes more sense as a fullback than as an option in midfield or attack.

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s not Klopp’s style to sign someone as a temporary fix. Although he did sign Steven Caulker, and then used him mostly at centerforward.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's what I was thinking about. turned out we didn't need him as much as expected though.

20. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Joyce and Pearce reporting that were in to sign Minamino from RBS in January with his release clause extremely attractive at 8 mil.

Thoughts?

soccershaggy repped this.
  21. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For that price yes please

22. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can think of is that poor kid is going to be called 'Mini-me' from the moment he sets foot in an EPL pitch. :)

SamScouse repped this.
  23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sign him yesterday please

soccershaggy repped this.
  24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He was outstanding in both games against us and seems like a Klopp type player. He apparently covered more ground than any Liverpool player on Tuesday. He is older than you would expect. About to turn 25 in January.

At that price it seems like a no brainer. The role he plays at Salzburg at the tip of their diamond is not all that different than the areas Firmino plays in at Liverpool. Maybe Klopp thinks he can use him as a backup for Firmino.

jeffcoop, bayern is god and newterp repped this.
  25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or direct competition.

I like what I saw of him but that's just a sample of two matches.