Potential "Alt" 2018 World Cup tournament?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by mfw13, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is it because such a tournament is needed or is it because the United States didn't qualify?

You don't hear Italy, Chile or Netherlands demanding such a tournament.

MIGkiller repped this.
  2. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I question the motivation behind such a competition. It's not the job of the U.S. Soccer Federation to bail out a corporate media interest (in this case, Fox Sports) because it stands to lose money for an event that it won in a bidding process several years ago. At the same time, Fox Sports should be angry at the USSF for being so lax in its approach to qualifying for the World Cup. Did the U.S. higher-ups make the right decisions in hiring/firing head coaches? Did the USSF show any concern about results that didn't go their way as it pertains to in-game decisions the head coach made? The higher-ups at Fox Sports, as well as ESPN and other American sports-related corporations with a stake in the World Cup would be right to demand some accountability, rather than reward perceived incompetence at the USSF.

I have no doubt that viewership in the U.S. will take a hit for the 2018 World Cup since the United States won't be there. I would be interested to see what the numbers look like once the World Cup is over, compared to what they looked like in previous years when the United States participated in the event. I'd also be curious to see what the viewership numbers show for places like Netherlands, Italy, Cameroon, and Chile, for comparative purposes. As for me, I'll watch the World Cup next year, even though my home country won't be there for the first time in 32 years. I went too long growing up not being able to watch the World Cup (due to low interest from broadcasters in the U.S.).

Still, if such a tournament were played for a worthy cause, like helping a devastated soccer federation in a poorer country get back on its feet following a natural disaster, then, I'd be all for it.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    People need to be reminded that insisting on such a tournament against FIFA wishes is a sure way to hurt the 2026 World Cup bid

4. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Why not just have a Soccer world series ,Or a soccer world championship and not invite anyone from outside the USA. Proclaim the winner World Champion.

Like they do in baseball and basketball. .America first !!

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Teams love to play friendlies before the World Cup anyway. And Federations love making money in the USA. In 2006 I went to a friendly game here in Chicago between Romania and Colombia. There was about 14,000 people there and the fans were entertained and into it. And BOTH teams were not going to Germany for the World Cup. Both teams brought good squads that were almost considered "A" teams.
    So the demand is there for friendlies. I think it can work for a tournament too. It does not have to be a long tournament, I'd do maybe 4 groups of 3. Group winners play in the Semis and then a Final. Federations and players could get a monetary reward.

Would that be so horrible?

sitruc repped this.
  6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is it an American thing to refuse to accept defeat? What happens if you lose that tournament? A C list tournament?:)

MIGkiller repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't get your question. This is more about making money and looking to the future. Not winning and losing.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Making money how? The rest of the world won't watch it, FIFA won't sanction it, stars won't show up, let alone world class teams. Americans aren't already watching MLS, let alone a tournament that means nothing with B or C Squads.

Looking into the future? You have "friendlies" and the soon CONCACAF league of Nations for that and U World Cups.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am assuming FIFA would allow it as long at it is treated like the ICC for Clubs.

No more than 4 friendly games on USA soil for the teams that make it to the Final in my example And a couple of friendlies for the others that just make it to the Group stage (Big deal.)
    Money will be made because television Networks like ESPN and Univision would like to have soccer programming in May /June before the World Cup in 2018.

And as I alluded to in another post a monetary reward can be worked out with the top 4 teams of the tournament that take part and less money to the teams that don't advance.

sitruc repped this.
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No they won't sanction anything that close to the world cup

There's an international window before the world cup, why's that not good enough to try new players?

It's irrelevant if no one's watching. Seriously, who's gonna watch it?

Then you'll have B or C Squads at best. The top one's still won't go because everyone else except some people see the bad optics of paricipating in a "tournament because we don't accept defeat". The top stars don't need the pocket change of such tournament and won't risk injuries before the club season.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #61 HomietheClown, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    That is the point. The majority of the games would be during that FIFA window if not all the games in my scenario. So it would be difficult for FIFA to say no to it in my opinion.

sitruc repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #62 HomietheClown, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    A tournament involving a New USA squad of the future and possibly Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Honduras, El Salvador? I would venture to say more people would watch that on Univision than the Gold Cup (outside of Mexico games). Especially if marketed correctly.

sitruc repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. As I said in another post I could see Italy bringing young hungry kids who want to prove themselves and maybe guys like Balo and Gio or whoever has been ignored the last couple of years.

No one is saying that Top stars will be there so stop trying to focus on that.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Difficult? Why because the USSF says so? This isn't the IOC, this is FIFA. They run the show, or there's no show at all. Sorry to say ity again and I really don't mean to rub people the wrong way...

In the FIFA world, the USSF is a very small fish. If anything, FIFA would just laugh off that request and be done with it

The tournament means nothing. Soccer nations barely watch U World Cups, let alone a USSF/SUM tournament filled with B teams or C teams. I wouldn't hold my breath for Italy even bothering showing up

In the rest of the world...you prove yourself at club level. Then you're rewarded by a call up on the national team. So they don't need a useless tournament to try young kids.

MIGkiller repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming it’s against FIFAs wishes of course. Which there is no guarantee that it is...

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You seem to not understand my points Robert Borden.
    It would be a tournament of friendlies on USA soil. It is not that difficult for FIFA to allow something like it . In fact they allowed friendly tournaments on US soil like this on a smaller scale before. The US Cup used to have National teams from all over the world playing in USA stadiums.
    Yes, the main differences are it was not held during World Cup years and it was only 4 teams instead of 12.
    Those issues are not huge obstacles in my mind and I think there is a way for it to happen as long as it does not conflict with the World Cup and the matches are viewed as friendly games.

sitruc repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It means nothing to you. A Canadian. It may mean little to nothing to Billions of people. I concede that.

However, there are millions of Americans and immigrants in the United Stated who would be interested in it. Just like other friendlies that get decent crowds in stadiums and decent ratings on tv.
    Univision knows this. ESPN Knows this. Many Companies and possible sponsors know this too.

sitruc repped this.
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're missing the point but ok :)

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The point is there is a hypothetical tournament that may happen. And the rumors are there for a reason.

sitruc repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ok :)
    Still missing the bigger picture.

FYI, are you sure upsetting FIFA if they don't sanction it is a good idea when you're bidding to host a World Cup?

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The thread is not about the bigger picture. It is about a Cup that may happen in the USA with teams that did not make the World Cup. That should be the focus, at least in my opinion. And the rea$on$ are obvious.

FYI as long as it is treated like a bunch of friendlies that take place during the FIFA window then I don't think FIFA would have a problem with it.

sitruc repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's be blunt. The USSF wants this because they are out of the World Cup picture. Funny that such proposition was never put forward when the US kept qualifying.

Again, this notion that the USSF can pull something out of nowhere and that FIFA would just comply. You're just showing how little you understand how FIFA works.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have been blunt this whole time. The USA wants to host a tournament and invite the teams that did not make it to the World Cup. They were not interested before because they were focused on the World Cup itself. Why would they host something like this when they had to focus on the WC tournament? Duh.

I am not saying FIFA would just comply. I am saying that having a bunch of friendlies happens constantly on US Soil every single World Cup cycle during May and June.
    So labeling it The World Invitational Cup is not really going to make much of a difference as to what it really is. A bunch of Friendlies held in the USA before a World Cup. Why would FIFA say no to that?

sitruc repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They can try to organize it, but it will be a failure without a FIFA sanction and actually piss them off, really smart when you're trying to secure the 2026 World Cup rights.

And the other Associations would just prefer to go to the USA above having friendlies at home for what reason again? :rolleyes:

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Once again, if it is held during the FIFA window in may-June before the World Cup then why would FIFA say no?

Why would they do these friendlies in the USA instead of their own countries? The same reason they always come to the USA and have friendlies instead of their own countries. Federations can make more money in the USA.

sitruc repped this.