Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

If a country is to small to host or can't logistically do it for some reason then don't pick them. The world cup is spoiled for choice and there are several countries that would be more then willing to host the world cup that could host it tomorrow if they needed to why give away 2 automatic spots 1 is enough. You actually have a viable host in every continent so you don't need cohosts

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Viable hosts in every continent, but sometimes these hosts don't come forward, so what do you do?

I never said FIFA or UEFA helped anyone, but hosts are always allocated a group, happens every tournament going, to suddenly change to system says what? To suddenly tell Poland that they have been drawn into a group hosted in Ukraine does what?

Don't know what your problem is really. You would be happy for one host allocated a berth but not two hosts. But then you would say this if you come from a big huge country.

But lets look at the WorldCup shall we, were are the dual hosts other than Korea-Japan? Did you hate that tournament so much with Japan making knock out stages and Korea making semi's?

3. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Well the host have come forward in the bidding process most bids for the recent world cups were made by single host countries I really don't see how that would be a problem for FIFA to get. There is an angry line of countries that could host the world cup by themselves that feel snubbed because their bids were better and they do have the infrastructure to host tomorrow if they had to.

4. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To sum up what he is saying. The host country should be a place that can host by itself and is competitive enough to be able to make the tournament even without an automatic berth. That way you aren't taking away spots from deserving countries.

slaminsams repped this.
  5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So all your really saying is that you don't think Qatar should be hosts?

Yet look back to 2002, everyone said the same and look what happened.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Countries that don't qualify, how could you say a spot has been taken away from a deserving country? If England missed out on 2018 because there is a European host, yet they fail to grab one of the 13 slots allocated, then surely they aren't deserving?

7. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I am not only saying Qatar shouldn't host which they shouldn't since their only qualification to host was having bags of money but I am also saying we shouldn't have cohost like 02.

8. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Poland and Ukraine would have qualified if they had to?

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Why not, they have qualfied for past competitions, so i couldn't see why not.

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Look back to 2002, and if they never co-hosted they probably wouldn't have any of the infrastructure and stadia they have now in one of those countries.

11. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    That was fine then but the sport is a lot more global now and by 2026 will be even more established globally. If a country needs to build its soccer infrastructure they can host their regional championship which are bigger now then 02 or one of the youth world cups they shouldn't be waiting until they potentially host a world cup. Besides there are single host countries that would get a boost to their soccer infrastructure by hosting as well like Australia if that is FIFA's goal. However I don't think the world cup should be used as a charity event to grow the game in a small country 14 years from now

12. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Qatar is not big enough to host it.

13. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I too agree with that. I also think that FIFA should have a behind closed doors agreement that no country should get to host who hasn't made it to one of the last 4 World Cups on the day the next host is selected. At least South Africa was there in 2002 even though they didn't qualify in 2006, or 20010. Even the USA had made it to the 1988 Olympics which was still a full team tournament, before they were selected as the 1994 host.

14. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except it isn't 120 degrees in japan and korea, they both have very sizeable populations, neither has problems like alcohol sales, prejudice, etc. and neither bribed FIFA to give them the world cup.

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Qatar doesn't have problems with alcohol sales. Qatar didn't bribe FIFA either. Qatar's a muslim country so must be bad then. 120 degrees, who cares? If Qatar and other Middle Eastern nations manage to play in it, then why not? It's a Qatari world cup afterall. Do nations complain when going to Bolivia, goign to freezing cold South Africa, no. So, get with it, the games not just about conditions to suit you.

16. Luichovivo

Luichovivo New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think Perú is going to win Fifa 2026!!! champions!!!

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Brazil almost had trouble with alcohol sales, FIFA hat to put pressure for them to pass legislation, I am sure Qatar would do the same and allow alcohol sales in and around the stadiums, I mean it is only for 1 month.

2. Everybody bribes FIFA; Qatar just paid the most, because they wanted it the most.

3. 120 degrees is bad, so many people care, that is why Blatter commented on maybe moving the WC to winter (January) I think that would be a good idea.

4. Well Qatar human rights record is about equal to say Belarus, I think most people would also have issues with Belarus holding the WC, then again Russia is no saint, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil all had issues, yet Mexico did a good job 2 times, SA was a pretty good WC after all, maybe Qatar will surprise and have a good WC. Shit maybe all the media exposure will help Qatar more liberal rulers fix some of the countries issues.

5. I would bitch about Bolivia holding the world cup and yes I bet many other countries would if they had to play at the La Paz altitude, yet Bolivia has every right to bid just like Qatar did.

6. Qatar being a small country may actually be a plus for holding the WC, not having to fly all over a huge country like say the USA or Russia could be very good for fans following particular teams.

18. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brasil alcohol issue I believe was only about selling alcohol in and around the stadium. Qatar there is no alcohol, except in certain hotels.

120 is bad for people who want to go enjoy the games and the players. I don't think FIFA should cater to Qatar and move the games though.

Nothing wrong with having the games in a big country. They did it alittle wacky in 94 though. Some teams went from Florida to NJ back to Florida, California to Detroit and back to California, or Mass to Chicago and back to Mass. That made no sense. The group that made the most sense was E, with all the games, but one being held in NJ and DC (one in Florida).

All they would have to do is stick groups in a certain area, within road trip distance for the group stages. Say something like this.

A+B in Northeast (NJ, Boston, Philly, DC, Baltimore)
    C + D in Southern California and Arizona
    E-North West (Seattle and Eugene, OR)
    F-Texas (Dallas and Houston)
    G-Florida (Miami and Tampa)
    H-Nashville and Indianapolis

1st and 2nd round of knockouts in NE, So Cal and Texas.
    Semi in NE and either So Cal or Texas.
    Final and 3rd place game in NE.

19. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that they're muslim, have you ever heard of israel? Poland and ukraine have problems with it. i'm just saying that Korea and Japan didn't. also homosexuality is illegal in Qatar. alcohol consumption is illegal for the most part in Qatar. South africa is not freezing cold WTF. Have you ever heard of heat stroke? And it's obvious that Qatar bribed UEFA, anyone who doesn't think they did is an idiot.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but Qatar, or Singapore or Hong Kong WC would have more like an Olympic game feeling than Brazil 2014 or Russia 2018.

I agree there are many bad issues with Qatar, but the smallness of the country is IMO a good point for Qatar.

Regarding Alcohol, I am confident that Qatar will temporarily suspend the restrictions on Alcohol or create "free" zones around the stadiums by the WC.

The heat is the biggest issue for me, but then again perhaps we should hold the June-July world cup in the southern hemisphere all the time since it is their winter. I mean 120 degree weather is bad, but 100 degree weather is also not so good.

Maybe a constant rotation between Chile, Argentina, South Africa and Australia.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think they bribed UEFA so I guess I am an idiot.

22. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, FIFA.

ceezmad repped this.
  23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    South Africa was a winter world cup, thats bloody freezing for people who play in 120. It's not just about conditions for you you know.

I've heard of Israel yes, and you'll probably find that Israel kick up more fuss than Qatarm, hell, Israel even sent a death squad into UAE, now with all these countries in and around Israel, wouldn't you have thought what your getting at would have kicked off by now. No, just Israel wh kick off.

I've heard of heat stroke, so tell me again, why do they play games in June/JulyAugust in Qatar as it stands? Surely they'd all be dead by now?

Anyway, if your really bothered, then take it to the Qatar thread rather than derail here.

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Qatar is not the topic of this thread. We've gone through this stuff over and over and over again and it need not be re-hashed in a thread that's dedicated to another topic.

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it is going to be the USA and a UEFA country. Oceania? They might not exist by 2026. I have a feeling that New Zealand might leave Oceania within the next two WC's. Besides, after Tahiti qualifies for the Confederation Cup, FIFA should rethink about Oceania's status. I do not see any other African countries getting it. Morocco, Egypt or any other North African country probably won't get it because the 2020 WC Finals will be in Qatar. Qatar is an AFC member so China will have to skip a turn. They will wait another 4 years for 2030 and South America will do the same thing. So North America and Europe are theonly two confederations remaining.
    At the time of writing, the USA is probably the only country that is probably going to have realistic chance of winning the bid from North America. Europe? Someone mentioned Turkey. At the time of writing, Turkey is trying to get the Olympics and the European Championship in 2020. They are favorite ob both bids, but they are only allowed to host one event.