Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, it's true they don't have the futbol tradition but for sure they know how to host a major event. Look at the all the massive boxing fights they've hosted. LV knows how to host large groups, a handful of group stage matches wouldn't be difficult.

I personally was surprised as I thought adding Vegas would be a good selling point for the bid. LV offers something that no other bid city has in terms of the other "attractions".

As @jesta said I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of some other reason, probably financial, that we will never know about. The other venues may have put together a more financially lucrative deal for the organizers, and in the end we know it all comes down to money. US Soccer just lost a massive amount of money by not qualifying, and their budgets for the next few years probably assumed that money was going to be there. And now that it's a lot less, the profit motive is greater.

Also, this a bid committee decision, probably 99% by US Soccer. FIFA may have some pre-bid influence as to which cities get included in the final list but probably not at this point.

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    There's shows to, but I don't really want to go to a show during the World Cup.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When it comes to logistics of traffic and transportation and infrastructure it is nice to have a general idea of how all those things will play out.

Not hosting any major soccer matches or even NFL football matches until 2020 does seem to be a wrinkle in the plans of predicting things and planning things out. I am not saying it is the only reason just a simple reason why I can think Las Vegas may not be suitable when there's so many other cities that basically know what they are going to do and have done it in the various soccer tournaments I have mentioned.

4. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
  5. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Did USSF really put out that bad of a map?

majspike repped this.
  7. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    they only forgot DC, that is not going to host anyway due to the worst stadium among candidates, and they put orlando onto atlantic coast, the rest is more or less fine :D

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I'm not aware of any modern, large capacity stadiums in Canada. I remember going to an Expos game at the "Big O" nearly 30 years ago and even back then the stadium felt dated.

Are they planning to build new stadiums in Canada? (Sorry if this has been asked and answered 20 times already in this thread)

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Big O is never getting demolished but will be updated with a brand new roof.

Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina have new stadiums

Thanks to the Canadian Premier League, new stadiums are expected in Calgary, Surrey, Halifax and Saskatoon.

Unofficially, new stadiums in Waterloo, Quebec City, Vaughan should follow

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Washington DC was on there. I hate that new is a requirement. Where are they playing in Minneapolis? Indoors? They'd have to put grass in that NFL stadium.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if that's not the NFL stadium in 2026.

12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many of the NFL stadiums have turf now and will need grass to be laid down for the World Cup. They're getting much better at it and by 2026 I hope it'll be a non-issue as they will hopefully get it installed well in advance and their level of expertise will be improved..

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is this an American thing where turf and grass are two different things?

themanlarry repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    To many, "turf" has become synonymous with artificial grass. It still is not.

15. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    yepp, it goes fast in the NFL, 4-5 from the announcement to the first game recently.

anyone knows when redskins lease expires at landover? I recall reading somewhere they have 10 years left or so ....

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    2027, but the team is already looking and there is no real penalty since they own the stadium.

17. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grass is grass, then there is "artificial turf" which many NFL stadiums use, including many on The List. I think a lot of them are FieldTurf, which has the little rubber pieces in it.

I'm a season ticket holder for the Tijuana Xolos in Liga MX who play on artificial turf in Estadio Caliente, the only artificial surface in Liga MX.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I didn't know they owned the stadium, but nonetheless I'm pretty sure the Maryland taxpayers paid for a lot of it. It is only like 20 years old. I hope that the area taxpayers in Maryland and DC have wizened up and tell NFL that they can either pay for their own stadiums or expect the public ones to last much longer - say 75 years - before the taxpayers provide a new one. But I'm probably hoping in vain. Regardless, I'd think the stadium in Maryland will good enough for 4 World Cup games.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Several rows were installed in front of the original first rows so it's no longer ideal for soccer.

Regarding the initial deal for the stadium in Maryland; some infrastructure improvements were made to the area including an entrance/exit ramp from 495, but those were requests prior to the stadium going in the area. Cooke wanted a stadium built before he died. He wanted it in DC, but things went south there for a variety of reasons and NIMBY took over in the Old Town and Delray area of Alexandria/Arlington so he went to Maryland and put up something quick. The team even built a sports and learning complex for the community right next to the stadium that has nice indoor pools, a great indoor 200m track, weight rooms and all of that. Dematha Catholic plays their home football games at the stadium that's part of that complex. The stadium was privately financed unlike the Ravens (M&T Bank) Stadium in Baltimore which was state money. The taxpayers got a good deal out of the stadium. Most expect the next venue to be privately financed as well. The general consensus is that it will be a land and infrastructure deal and that it likely won't be just a stadium. A lot of signs point to it being in Virginia out near one of the upcoming Silver line Metro stations and not far from Dulles, but it could still return to DC or even be built on the current site.

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting. Maybe they can uninstall those rows. Regarding an NFL stadium in DC, I'm skeptical that is a good idea in an area with such housing affordability and traffic issues. NFL stadiums are so rarely used, and mostly used on the weekkends; so being out in the sticks with a big parking lot is fine. Urban space better used for parks, housing, and infrastructure. Glad to hear they paid for themselves. Not sure why they need a new one.

A good blog for stadium things is Field of Schemes.
    http://www.fieldofschemes.com/ .

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure DC said the only way the team will ever play inside DC city limits is if they change their name. That's not going to happen so I'm sure the new stadium will be in VA.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The council had a vote, but things could change on either side if it came down to it. Loudoun is still the leader unfortunately.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If that's true its so stubborn its almost funny.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  26. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FIFA seems to be giving a clear signal on their preference regarding hosts. I wouldn't be surprised if the bidding rules allow Gulati to offer a percentage of the profits that a North American WC would surely generate.