Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top options for 2026 are:

Usa or mex or Canada
    NZ
    Morocco

But this assumes FIFA get a legit bid from any of the 5. USA has not said much about it, but they may pass in favor of Canada.

If none of the above work out, FIFA would look to CONMEBOL, and I would say Uruguay or Argentina would bid, 100 years issue be damned, we saw how Athens was passed over by the IOC in 1996.

If all that fails then I think FIFA would drop their rotation rules for Australia or a European country

2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, New Zealand is not even a viable host, let alone a top option. They are remote, which would be terrible for TV times, and lack the population and stadiums. Unlike Qatar, they wouldn't be willing to waste billions for a one off event.

If Australia could only manage 1 vote for their 2022 bid, no way New Zealand could get it.

3. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the midst of fifa's lack of options, NZ is more than viable. And let's cut the bs about kick off times. The 2002 World Cup went fine

4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be no lack of options. New Zealand is not viable. They wouldn't even think of bidding either.

5. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    That's true.

6. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think I saw it posted in here or an article about it some place. I know it wouldn't happen, but it would be really cool if they did it in the Caribbean and just built a stadium on each island and island hop to the games. Cruise lines could have WC packages. It would be pretty cool. Much more cool than what we get after Brazil for sure.

7. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    No...

8. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah cause those would be so much better with all the trouble out there. Dodging bullets would be so much fun.

9. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    I've got a useful site for you:

en.wikipedia.org

;)

Really, have you ever been there, I mean; in one of those countries?

10. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No desire to go to such places. Wiki the only legit place for info. I guess they could use that 7 billion that Obama said he will give them to make stadiums.

11. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    A painful truth...

But Ghana (at least) does have some of the requirements to host the World Cup. Fact.

12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What the hell are you talking about? Obama never said he'd give 7 billion to anyone to "make stadiums."

13. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Obama didn't say it, of course (he's fantastic), but it's up to the governments to decide how to use it...

14. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, but he did say we will give African countries 7 billion the other day. There is nothing "fantastic" about Obama. Except if that is a way of describing what a mess he is, but that's not for this thread.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's take the politics elsewhere, please.

16. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way New Zealand gets a World cup! The US is favorites for 2026 and Mexico needs to work on their drug cartel war situation for them to be even considered. Canada is not a strong enough national team or domestic league to even be considered. I don't like that Russia has been given a WC but I do like a Qatar WC unlike other people on this board. I wouldn't mind another European WC in Italy or France.

17. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But Qatar has a better team than Canada? Their domestic league would be MLS. Why do you like Qatar more than Russia?

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it is great for the Middle East to host one in a sane nation or city and I think Doha is that Dubai would have been great as well. I think they will get everybody fears under control and pull of a great tournament.

Russia on the other hand is dealing with a lot of problems length and width of the nation, shoddy transportation, mafia-like state, rampant corruption, xenophobia of foreigners and travelers, problems with racism.

19. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And Qatar is innocent of all those civil rights things? However this isn't for Russia or Qatar talk and what's his name will pop in to remind us of that. I have no interest in a Mid East or African WC, but that is me. I don't think countries who don't have things ready to go should be hosting and blowing their money for a one off event. It's just plain dumb. Especially playing in the summer with 110 degree heat which is a given in certain areas.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The size of the country is not a disadvantage, its an advantage. The WC is supposed to be played in a country that has more than 1 city. It's not like fans are forced to visit every host stadium. It's better if they don't, that way more fans get the chance to go to a match.

If you are in, say, Moscow, you are within some 600 miles of 7 match venues. So the distances aren't that crazy.

21. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes and it's not like people will be traveling out to the far ends of the country. Isn't much out there.

22. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2030 is China because it is contrary to Uruguay to the 100 aniversary, around the world, and China is awesome in many ways (stadiums, population that can fill stadiums, infrastructure, money, football love, sports love).
    That minds 2026 must be in USA because USA is awesome in the same way that China, you must be a G20 country to host the World Cup or pay a lot of lots of briberies; NZ is not G20 and not rich enough to the briberies.
    Or Qatar can fail and 2022 turn to USA land, then I dont know what do in 2026.

23. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was already done for the 2007 Cricket World Cup. But, the largest venue was the 31,000 seat Kensington Oval in Barbados, which hosted the final.

24. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stadium infrastructure is not a federal issue in the United States. With a few exceptions it isn't a state government issue either, the main exception being potential final host MetLife Stadium which is run by the state of New Jersey and the new Vikings stadium being built in Minnesota. Stadium building and funding in the U.S. is almost always done at the municipal government level. When it comes to stadiums or hosting the World Cup Obama is just a fan. The office of the President of the United States has no power when it comes to governing on local issues.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  25. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd love to have the final here in NJ if the WC came back here. What is going on with the Vikings stadium? Does it have a date? I haven't been paying attention to it.
    I don't watch cricket, but that's cool. So they could pull it off then. I'm sure they could make renovations to existing stadiums and add seats. Qatar didn't really have anything within the requirements from what I remember. Just enough money to buy the WC.