Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh it will only last 4 years (if that). If anything his tenure is likely to be such a disaster that no one like him ever gets elected again.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Are you sure? Canada has remarkably few adequate stadiums for a country of its population. The best one is way up north in Edmonton. After that most stadiums are configured for baseball or are under 30,000 capacity.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The proposal I read about regarding Uruguay and the centennial tournament included Argentina as a joint host.

On another topic, the rotation policy which says that a Confederation that has just hosted is not eligible for the next two World Cups is a mistake by FIFA. One reason is that Confederations are big, and borders are somewhat artificial. For instance, Qatar and China are in different parts for the world culturally and geographically, even if they are the same continent, so China should be eligible to compete for hosting a world cup 8 years later. Same Australia and Qatar, obviously. The same concept applies, although admittedly less starkly, for Russia and, say, England or Spain. Whereas, Qatar and Egypt, or, to an extent, Russia and China; although different confederations, are physical neighbors (or near neighbors). I suspect this whole system has been revitalized to engineer the expanded World Cup for the USA; and then FIFA will abandon it. But I think excluding Europe from bidding for 2026 is a mistake.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I generally agree, but China is not only in the same confederation as Qatar they also share a border with Russia. So in this particular case I think China is rightly excluded from consideration for 2026.
    Russia-Qatar-China is basically Asia 3 times in-a-row. That wouldn't be the end of the world but seems logical to break-up that "streak" and go west before having the WC in China.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, if Russia were hosting most of the games in Vladivostok then maybe I'd agree with you. But all the games are going to take place in the European part of the country, thousands of miles from China.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sure but "thousands of miles" is not that much when talking about the entire world. For e.g. it would have been odd to have the WC in Colombia right after it was in Brasil. Thousands of miles away but if there exist other nations able and wanting to host, might as well spread it around a bit more than that.

fwiw, I also tend to consider anything east of Turkey to be Asia, as do some maps, which would put most Russian WC host cities in Asia.

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You would be in a small minority with this. Most consider the boundary runs through the Dardenelles and Bosphourus, cuts across the Black Sea to the Caucasus Mountains, turns north at the Caspian Sea and then follows the Ural River and the Ural Mountains. There is a bit of debate at times and the boundary has shifted a bit as well but I've never known of it to be as far west as you consider.

ceezmad repped this.
  8. 1Hughjarse

1Hughjarse New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Club:
    --other--
    Will the ban of citizens from 7 countries scupper the chances of WC 2026 in the USA?
    What about LA's hope of the 2024 Olympics?

zahzah repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably kills both as it should. The US doesn't deserve it.

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not saying the US deserves it, but FIFA and the IOC like strong-men regimes. Build things, damn the consequences. Brazil, China, Qatar, Russia, etc...

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand, Trump will be long out of office by the time the World Cup comes along.

On the other hand, it is hard to imagine the US getting the World Cup at a time when its leader is busy alienating as many countries as possible.

deejay repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #987 Nico Limmat, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    As much as we would like sports to be completely independent from politics the two will always overlap when it comes to the travel of private persons. No host will ever be truly "open to the world" so to speak. So unless a country deviates significantly from the norm ease of travel can't really be a consideration in the bidding process. Even before Trump's executive orders it was very tough for an Iranian citizen without family connections inside the US (who would vouch for him/her) to get a tourist visa. People kept asking what would happen if Israel qualifies to Qatar 2022. Well, Iran qualifying to a US hosted World Cup is a much more likely scenario.

Some people will always be shut out of the World Cup experience. That's why it's important to keep the tournament moving around and while much is wrong with the Qatar decision it will allow citizens of some countries to attend that otherwise would struggle to do so.

deejay repped this.
  13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I can't imagine the US winning either as long as the ban is active. Say what you want about Qatar or Russia, but they are not blanket banning nationals from select countries from passing through their borders.

The ban has far reaching consequences that Trump isn't even aware of.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don't think that Trump really cares anything about Football/soccer

Not by the time, the whole bidding process will happen.

The whole bidding process for 2026, is set to take place during the next 3-4 years (the final decission will happen by May-2020, with Trump still at office).

15. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    #990 Blondo, Jan 29, 2017
    Qatar's visa policy is more relaxed for some and less so for others ... the US and a lot of other countries aren't that bad ... citizens from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Libya, Iran, etc. have to deal with the most travel restrictions ... it isn't only the US ... still, I do hope Trump will let his order expire in April ... he has had his symbolic "victory"/advertisement.

Also, I heard about a couple of German clubs that couldn't get a visa for Israeli players on their squads when going to a training camp in the Middle East ... it's odd that Israel is a Uefa member (blatant antisemitism is definitely one of the reasons why they aren't an AFC member):

[​IMG]

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nazi Germany hosted a summer Olympics just before WWII. Anything is possible.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Different era, countries being blocked from attending is a major deal.

Plus Berlin won the bid for the Olympics BEFORE Hitler came to power. Chances our they would not have received the Olympics had the selection been made 1-2 years later.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If Iran qualifies for a USA World Cup there's a lot of Persians in California and New York who will probably buy up the tickets anyway so it is pretty much moot. :p

19. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That would be weird since many AFC members have a mostly semite population

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Not "would be" ... it IS weird (and disgusting).

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #996 Nico Limmat, Jan 29, 2017
    I knew you would make that comment but it's not the same thing and you know it. :D
    As usual, let's keep political morality away from the FIFA forum. High level discussion please.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #997 HomietheClown, Jan 29, 2017
    "Same thing" or not, it is pretty much the truth.
    A World Cup in the USA would pretty much sellout relatively fast compared to other regions because of the diversity in the USA. I remember years back there were 50,0000 Iranians in the Rose Bowl for a freaking friendly game.

World Cup matches would sell out like hot cakes.

ESPECIALLY with the new format of only two guaranteed matches in the Group stage.
    Scarcity would make the tickets go faster.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And I don't disagree.

We are arguing about ease of travel. A number of football fans see traveling to and attending a World Cup as some kind of right. It's not that simple and politics will always create hurdles for that idealistic notion no matter where it is hosted. The various diaspora populations in the US are not really relevant.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I am saying it may be a moot point if all the tickets are purchased domestically by people who already travel easily within the USA.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How is it a moot point? Irani fans in Iran like to watch their team too.

We get it. You think the US is the "bestest host" ever.