Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Europe is out unless they change things. You forgot about Russia. They can't bid for 2026.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I did not forget about Russia.

I was influenced by events in early 2000's. Before Germany got 2006, I told myself that power behind soccer would not allow South Africa to get 2006. "The WC Finals has always alternated between Europe and South/North America. Soccer is eurocentric and all the powers are based in Europe. I do not believe that UEFA will surrender its status quo," I told myself in 200X. Suddenly, it happened. Germany got 2006 and it was back to UEFA alternating WC Finals. I did not think it was accidental that a New Zealander changed his mind at the last minute. "I told you so," I kept saying to my friends after Germany got 2006. Of course, the world has changed since 2000's and the UEFA is not hosting every other WC Finals. But given there will likely be just one realistic candidate in 2026, namely the US, the UEFA will try to produce an alternative candidate.

3. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brazil was the only option for 2014.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I know, but it shouldn't repeat again. Besides, the year 2014 was different because UEFA knew that they would get 2018. For 2026, Uruguay/Argentina will likely to get 2030 and then, perhaps, China/Asia in 2034. I doubt the WC Finals will be out of Europe from 2018 to 2038. If I am running UEFA, I won't sit there while Europe waits 20 years. I will go for 2026 against the lone candidate. I will consider 2030 a much more difficult task because the WC Finals will be centenial and Uruguay will be the sentimental favorite. For 2034, Asia can come up with at least 4 strong candidates(Korea, Japan, Australia and China) and numerous alternative bids such as India, another Middle Eastern country, etc. Besides, if i am running UEFA, I don't think I want to wait 16 years for a WC Finals in Europe. The year 2034 is actually too long. I will at least try for 2026.

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Being a President of a confederation isn't always about getting the best for your confederation. If it was the case, then UEFA Presidents have been so bad in not having every World Cup. It's a political game, you have to give and take.

They shouldn't be in in any official running for a finals that they aren't meant under current rules to have. But nothing wrong in making noises. Assuming like 2014 only one nation comes forward, it's not wrong to get into the minds of people and say such and so can host at short notice.

Anyway, if you was in UEFA, would you except waiting 20 years for a finals? If you did, you'd be kicked out on day one.

At this moment, we do have a lot of emerging nations in Asia, but thats not to say they are ready in 10-20 years to host. In Africa, there's no real challenge with a 32 team world cup, a smaller world cup then yes.

In SA, football mad yes, infrastructure inept, yes. Europe will always get the call more often than anyone else and before their turn, only USA will get the call before, but why? I don't know, we been there and done it in recent memory. UK would be different from '66 and for a new generation. US wouldn't be a new generation of people as such, but maybe a new generation of people who watch the game.

For me personally, i like to see someone different. Therefore it's Asia for me, but if not Asia, where? And that where, isn't different, there's no one, its the usual crowd.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think that will be 2030 or 2034. Australia/New Zealand can do a joint-host or Australia as the lone host. I do believe that Oceania will become AFC sooner or later. Then, there is China. Japan and Korea might try again as they had done for 2022. Perhaps, I can see a joint-host by Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand too, but very unlikely. India will be far off.... may be 2040's or beyond, depending on a lot of things. I might be dead by then. Asia can offer a lot of options.

For 2026, I do see it as USA and a possible European bid for reasons I stated. I do not need to go into the USA.

7. Pedro Ramos

Pedro Ramos New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I see it as a much safer bid then the next 3 world cups they have the financial backing and the consistant safety were Fifa probably won't even need to check up on them every couple of months like whats going on now with Brazil

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, stadiums are the problem here. It may be a rich country but when it comes to football stadiums they can rival the poorest countries in Africa.

They really only have 2 stadiums worth mentioning: Vancouver and Edmonton. And even those are barely adequate to host a women's WC match never mind being a men's WC venue. God only knows why they built a roof on the stadium in the one city in Canada that has nice weather.
    But I digress...

I don't think the other stadiums are even upgradable. Fourteen years is a long time, but the task at hand is huge: build 6-8 future white elephants from scratch and upgrade the 2 I mentioned above.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't be white elephants when the follow the Qatar model and make them modular and then promise them to various nations which, coincidentally, have reps on the executive committee.

Unak78 and redinthemorning repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://cfldb.ca/stadium-status/

They do not have that big stadium that would be needed for the WC first match and or final.

Also only 3 stadiums of 50K+

8 others between 20K to 35K.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And 2 out of the 3 that are 50k+ are the wrong shape (made for baseball). Also 3 of the top 4 have roofs so its not like you can just add another tier of seats at the top (or can you?).

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah, I would Imagine they would need a few new stadiums, not sure how old the Toronto stadium is, or if they could blow it up and build a new one, make it open with temporary 80K capacity, then after the cup they can tear down the temp seating and put a dome on the 50K stadium.

Maybe do that with Montreal stadium, I think that is the oldest one.

Now Edmonton, Alberta is their Houston, maybe if you give them the final they can get some of the oil money to build a newer stadium with 60K+ capacity.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, would have to be Montreal. Toronto stadium is pretty new. But only seems worth it if Montreal can lure a baseball team or something to fill it afterwards. Not sure if the people give a toss about baseball though ...

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Qatar model has about as much substance as the last 3 GOP jobs bills

Jay510 repped this.
  15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Bring out the bribe checkbooks Canada......you're gonna need 'em.....

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I know, battling against Amercia, they certainly will. Who's got the bigger book though?

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Some ahole in the middle east probably.....

18. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    When other countries do it, its called bribery.

When America does it, its called lobbying by job creators.

19. BurrowsTheGreat

BurrowsTheGreat New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    This would be great.. I think by 2026 Canada will definitely be a worthy country to host the World Cup... The game here is already make lots of improvements...

Queeg repped this.
  20. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    World Cup 2026 will either go to Dubai or Bahrain.

21. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Why?

22. SamKyon

SamKyon New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    UAE is possible if Qatar lose the 2022 world cup though they will have to build a lot of stadiums and final would probably be in Abu Dhabi.

Bahrain surely isn't possible.

23. kats26

kats26 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    pffft Canada

Club Leon repped this.
  24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France