Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the candidates for the 2026 world cup are the US, who should've gotten 2022 and maybe still will. Canada and mexico could bid. Egypt and Morocco are the most likely candidates from africa. and new zealand is a distant possibility from oceania.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yep, way to early.

Although I would settle for North America.

I think a US world cup with a couple of Canadian supported groups would do mind. Let's face it, after '18 and '22 it has to go to a safe country.

3. Club Leon

Club Leon Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think FIFA hates the US or loves that Arab money to much IMHO :)

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Arab's only host in '22, US already hosted in '94. You telling me FIFA hates a country they bent over backwards for to give them '94 WC?

Hexa repped this.
  5. ag6858

ag6858 New Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know New Zealand have absolutely no chance of holding it, but to be honest, I think they'd do a fairly good job. It's a safe, stable country, they already have state of the art stadiums from the rugby world cup, it's in a good time zone for Asia, the country is absolutely sports mad, and it will be a huge boost for the somewhat 'forgotten' area of football.

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    IF Australia ever gets it maybe New Zealand can get a Group? Would be kind of weird since both countries are in different Confederations but I still think they can make it work.

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    But since it's called a World Cup, I can't see why that scenario wouldn't work. Would bring AFC and OFC together aswell to make one.

8. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Surely NZ could handle more than a group though. How about 2 groups, plus a few knockout games; what would that need, 4 stadiums?

9. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    New Zealand is far larger and has a much bigger population and is much more "sports mad" than Qatar. Auckland by itself probably would be. So really they should be able to handle the full WC on their own. The only thing they are lacking is the Oil Money.

10. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    ^
    Being a more suitable host than Qatar is not, in itself, enough to make a country suitable!
    If I'm interpreting the stats available here properly, there is accommodation for about 140,000 visitors (4.4 million "stay unit nights" in January, divided by 31 days).

11. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada isn't going to happen in the next 30 years. Local and provincial governments in Canada simply don't have the mandate to build stadiums with public funds. And that political climate isn't going to change anytime soon for FIFA or anyone else. Canada is one of the hardest nations in the world to get new arenas and stadiums built in, and a World Cup would need upwards of 5 new ones and 3 renovations. Its not going to happen.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about 2026, bit I think China will go for 2030.

13. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    USA is too big to host a World Cup and I don't want it here if they are going to make teams and fans fly all over the place just to watch their teams. Way too expensive. I'd much rather see it in New Zealand or a small European/African country instead - so that you only need one flight and then you're good. Qatar is going to be great, almost all of the stadiums are within a 20 mile radius!

Mr Globe, Hexa, Rickdog and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hm, Qatar's bound to be more expensive a WC for fans than any in the US. Despite the travel. Accomodation in Qatar is lacking and I expect ripoff prices.

15. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    by 2026 there will not have been a wc in europe proper (russia is not, and will never be 'part of europe') since 2006. there is no goddamn way that the wc can go this long and stay outside of europe. it is englands turn to get a second wc, they are the most justifiable of candidates for this. germany has had 2, italy, france, mexico, brazil by this time (uness they f it up again like 86), no way can usa get a second wc before england. hopefully blatter will be in prison or worse by this time and justice can be done. i am not anti a usa second wc, far from it, but it is gross to put them ahead of england for this.

Hexa and ShaRule repped this.
  16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    USA too big? Did I really read that correctly?

You was obviously born after 94 then?

Interested to hear where in Africa you think it should be hosted? Morocco?

17. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. Russia isn't a true part of Europe.

England's due one. No question.

And considering Blatter's shameful ill-treatment of England, it almost also becomes a moral imperative. And I say that as someone who generally finds English football culture suspect (especially the EPL).

18. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry bros but Russia is Europe and South Africa is Africa.
    I go for a USA 2026 because I guess there gonna be a China 2030, the century of WC must be celebrate in Uruguay or in the exactly other side of the world, China; and Uruguay is funny and China Strong.
    USA have enough natives and immigrants with money to sell-buy ticket to whatever national team playing there.
    But if FIFA become a democrazy, maybe 50 euro vote and 50 african votes can move it again to Europe.
    Yo Argento.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The FIFA congress will award the WC going forward, so everybody gets a vote - all 209 member associations. The question is do they keep the "can't host for the next two" clause for confederations.

I could see it hosted in Egypt.

20. guynice_101

guynice_101 Member

Mar 24, 2005
    GTA (Toronto)
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It is 14 years away but what the heck,I'll bite.
    I would put my money on 2026 going to Western Europe.
    I can also see FIFA continuing their trek to boldly bring the World Cup where noone has gone before,namely the Benalux Region.They can't be denied forever
    They may even wish to take it to Iberia
    Britannia also has a chance,IMHO
    I think co-hosting will be the new strategy for bidding nations,(why spend $100M when you can spend $50M,Why wait 100 years for a World Cup when you can wait 60 ;) )it could only help England

With the reach of soccer becoming evermore global,I think first timers have the advantage now especially with the new voting format

Of course when the bids are being considered (2018?) who knows what the economies and security situations will be like in those relevant nations,still lotsa time left.

now as for 2030......Can-Am bid or Arg-Uru/Arg-Chi.....
    we can start that one in 2018

LGRod repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia West of the Ural mountain is part of Europe, just like the European part of Turkey.

England (other Islands) are not part of continental Europe. (but they are culturally European).

1986 was Colombia and I believe it was due to fear of the guerrillas.

22. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think Turkey is one of the few countries that can host a World Cup that rarely gets talked about. Now Qatar probably spoils this from happening, but I think they are more prepared than a lot of countries in the discussion, including ordained hosts Russia and Qatar. If Qatar gets their hosting rights pulled for whatever reason, sending them the WC Turkey wouldn't be too bad and would keep it in that part of the world.

They have a variety of large cities, they're in Europe, they're in Asia, they have beaches, historical and world heritage attractions, they have awesome food, they tolerate alcohol, and they love football...And they are doing all kinds of infrastructure modernizing projects - including high speed rail links between large cities and they have a bunch of new stadiums.

In fact, they can pretty much do a decent WC four years from now based on the existing and planned stadiums they have:

Istanbul - 13.3 mil - Ataturk Olympic Stadium - 76,000 (2001)
    Istanbul -13.3 mil - Turk Telekom Arena - 52,000 (2006)
    Izmir - 2.7 mil - Izmir Ataturk Stadium - 51,000 (1971)
    Bursa - 1.7 mil - Timsah Arena - 45,000 (2013)
    Antalya - 0.9 mil - Planned Stadium - 44,000 (2014)
    Ankara - 4.3 mil - Planned Stadium - 43,000 (2014)
    Trabzon - 0.3 mil - Planned Stadium - 42,000 (2015)
    Konya - 1.0 mil - Planned Stadium - 38,000 (2013)
    Gaziantep - 1.3 mil - Planned Stadium - 35,000 (2014)
    Kayseri - 0.8 mil - Kadir Has Stadium - 33,000 (2009)

The distance between Istanbul and the farthest city straight east, Trabzon, is about 580 miles, Istanbul and Gaziantep (farthest to the southeast) is about 540 miles. For comparison, Johannesburg to Cape Town is about 780 miles.

The are also other cities to choose from, which may be more suitable host cities but don't currently have suitable WC stadiums.

High speed rail plans:

[​IMG]

6 of the 9 venue cities I propose would be connected, if the entire network is built to plan.

The google earth map attachment shows the location of the proposed host cities

Attached Files:

Qdog, JoseEmidio, Dage and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well Turkey is getting a U-20 World Cup. Let's see how that goes.
    It can be a good litmus test.

24. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to FIFA's rules that have been in play a few times now Europe can't even bid on 2026. There isn't rotation anymore, but host confederation of a tournament still can't bid for the following two tournaments. So UEFA can't bid for 2026, and AFC can't bid on 2026 or 2030. FIFA kind of changes the rules whenever they see fit, but not sure the Congress will have the political climate to change that one.

25. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. if they change to rotation rules or if New Zealand can qualify them as not an AFC bid, or if Australia switches back to the OFC they could make great co-hosts. 1-2 stadiums in auckland, a stadium in wellington, and one in christchurch they could have 3-4 stadiums (as much or more than portugal had on the spain-portugal 2018 bid) and australia could have the other 8-9. 2 groups in NZ the rest in australia, NZ could host a couple of RO16 games and a quarter final, maybe the 3rd place match. Eden Park (60,000-70,000 w/temp seating), possibly a new waterfront stadium or an expanded north harbor stadium (put in new end seats and a 2nd deck on the small side with a new roof). Wellington westpac stadium (40,000 w/ temp seating) or a new stadium (40,000-50,000 used for wellington pheonix matches, super rugby , new NRL team, some national team games for rugby or soccer) Christchurch rebuilt AMI stadium, it has to be rebuilt somewhat after the earth quake 40,000 plus 5,000-10,000 temp seats.