Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #1326 Rickdog, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Lets get things straight here (yeah, unfortunately, this is political).

Chile has no issues with any of them. For us, the past is in the past, and we pretend to leave it there.

It's them (specially Bolivia), the ones whom still believe that they have issues with us.

About reaching some sort of agreement, this specific year.
    First, elephants will colonize the moon.

2. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Rickdog thanks for your input, it's more or less what I expected. And it's not just reaching agreement this year, but the 3 countries would need to come to agreement in the next few weeks as they'd need a least a few additional weeks to at least put together a high level proposal to present to FIFA before the early August deadline.

So the next question I have is, why is the Chile federation president Arturo Salah stating that Chile "is considering a bid to host the cup with some of its South American neighbors"? To get his own name in the news? To take a poke at the rumored Uruguay-Argentina bid or maybe to get Chile a place in that bid?

Or maybe this journalist just took something innocuous that Salah said and turned it into this story. It wouldn't be the first time. Looking back at the title of his article, "USA's World Cup bid to host in 2026 could soon face stiff competition", it's difficult to see how this, or any other bid, could be thought of as "stiff competition".

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ask Salah yourself

How do you expect me to know what is going on in his mind ?
    :p

Besides, if it helps you for anything, our FA is currently almost broke. And most of our politicians are more worried in getting money into their own pockets, not in spending it. :ROFLMAO:

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  4. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...nited-states-official-for-2026-fifa-world-cup

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The 2026 bid director for Mexico is Yon De Luisa, vicepresident of Televisa. That's some heavyweight.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morocco would be a fantastic country to host and probably the only other country that could in Africa. However I don't think they will get the chance going up against all of North America. One day hopefully.

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At least they don't have a blonde "duck" as president, whom likes to extend bans to traveling citizens "to or from" some specific countries .....
    :rolleyes:

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow thank for your political opinion, I care so much.

Even if he gets re-elected somehow he will have been out of office for 2 years by the time the World Cup is held so it doesn't matter.

athletics68 and HomietheClown repped this.
  10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Probably so, but the ones whom elected him, might get their next candidate with his same ideas or even worse (if possible), to become the next president, as his replacement for the office.

If it already happened once, nothing can save you from happening again.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said plenty of times Tickets for Iran would be sold out in minutes with all the locals from Persia in California or New York so it is kind of a moot point,

Keep politics out of this.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Having a historical election that elected a black president did not help the US bid even gain one vote. Meanwhile Putin had no issues winning 2018. I think Trump is not a factor.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The ability to fill a stadium with "Iran fans" (where a large number can no longer read or speak Farsi fluently) is not the same as rewarding Iran's core fans, those that have been supporting Iran every step of the qualifying phase, with an opportunity of witnessing their team in the World Cup. Travel bans are a fact of life around the world (and not a deal-breaker in my opinion) but let's not pretend that apples are oranges.

Fully agree.

@Rickdog - there was no need to bring up Trump at this point.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #1339 Rickdog, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    I don't agree, as it will be during Trump's term as president of one of the bidding countries, that FIFA will finally decide whom will get to host for the 2026 WC.

As you might perfectly know, one of FIFA's main requirements for any potential host, is to have full government support which also includes the figure of whom is the president, and with a man as such, anything can happen. Specially considering how fast the man changes his mind over diferent issues. At some point he might give his full support, but the next day, he might take it back.

As long as he is in office, he is going to be a factor over deciding the potential host for 2026, if his country pretends to host the WC.

Oh and btw, @deejay , skin color isn't what really gets you FIFA votes. Most of the times, the best for that is "green paper" in the pockets of those taking those votes (not a beautiful thing maybe, but that's how most of the hosts from past WC's, including among them the one played for 1994, got the votes to be elected as such):rolleyes:

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1340 Nico Limmat, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Fair enough about the government support, in particular any financial guarantees. As for the travel ban, there are many years to go and there is no point in getting overly excited about it now from a football perspective. Just like there isn't much purpose in discussing a "Israel in Qatar" scenario at this stage.

Blanket travel bans are unfortunate but not a deal-breaker as long as the players and delegation are let in and it doesn't affect more than a couple of participants. At least in my opinion. I imagine FIFA would take a similar stance.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And as I have alluded to before there is no evidence that Iran's core fans would be denied travel in the USA due to special circumstances that were written in the first bill. It does not get any bigger or special than the World Cup.
    Since that discussion the legislation has been to court and adjustments have been made.
    The main point is with tickets being sold and with special exceptions it will all be moot and a meaningless argument.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I saw the USA-Iran game in the 98 World Cup, and the whole city of Lyon, France was full of Iranian immigrants who lived in Europe and were totally psyched to support their team. Interestingly, they were also banned from having a certain type of flag that represented the Iranian resistance, those flags were confiscated at the stadium entrance, and, it was, said, it public places in the city. The point, though, is that immigrants can be the most vocal supporters because they have less opportunities to celebrate their heritage. See the Mexican support in the USA as another example.

I agree that if the WC were held today in the USA, there would be a vocal immigrant community supporting Iran. Also, I agree, Trump won't be president in 2026. A fair question, though unanswerable, will be if in 2026 the USA is still the sort of country where expatriots from Iran (and other places) feel safe celebrating their heritage at a public event. This is assuming we don't have to consider (an admittedly unlikely) darker scenerio, is if people of Iranian heritage (and others) still reside in the USA in large numbers.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I meant to say executive order not legislation and bill by the way.
    Whatever.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We'll I know that. You were the one to go that route. But you were also never the one to admit you are wrong so this is as good as it gets.

Talking about green, I'll tell you right now why the US bid has this in the bag.

First:
    FIFA finances show loss of $369 million US last year

Then:
    US Soccer Has $100M Budget Surplus, Made Profit Of $46M Off 2016 Copa

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I simply don't see a country like the US changing its national security policies in any way for a sports event but we are going in circles in a very hypothetical argument. Let's see how Russia treats Ukrainian fans next year should 1) Ukraine qualify and 2) decide to participate instead of boycott.

I don't doubt the passion of the diaspora. But they don't represent a "moral fix" for a travel ban. That is my point.

Pipiolo and AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    And you think that FIFA cares about the US finances ?

For FIFA the only ones that matter is for FIFA itself. If the hosts win or loses money, or end with huge debts, they don't give a damn about it. And this is not only about FIFA, but also about those who hold high positions in FIFA, whom also want to have their share of the profits (a share that of course must not have them imprisioned or prosecuted a few years later).

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Shouldn't that issue related to Russia or bettter yet related to the 2018 WC, be an issue for another thread ?

I thought this thread was about potential hosts for 2026.....:rolleyes:

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There's always exceptions and loopholes.
    And Hosting the biggest tournament in the World as long as a proper vetting process is applied.

Politics over.
    Let's talk Bids.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think his point is a host likely to make loads of money off the tournament would bid higher for it, thus enriching FIFA.

25. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This also applied for the 2022 tournament, but they went for the country that made suited the FIFA execs better than FIFA itself.