Potential 2026 WC Hosts (Update: Morocco Sole Challenger to CONCACAF Bid)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm of the opinion he already has. Emoluments Clause one, but subverting the independence of the Court system is another.

Unak78 repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Donald just thinks he's still in a reality TV show, once he realizes it's not things should get better.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Trump is a true outsider. Many Republicans would have no problem impeaching him and getting Pence in office. There is a reason why Pence never backs the President. A fair number of voters even voted with the hope that this would happen.

Trump is really making it easy to happen. Avoids input from experts and tries to rule by decree. He's been in office a week and he's already skirting the law.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Alright folks, can we dial down the political talk until there are actual developments in regards to Trump not completing his full term. Until then it's all speculation better served by the politics forum. Back to football.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1030 Unak78, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    He's nearly in breach of separation of powers by trying to skirt Federal judicial rulings against his executive orders as it is. But... I'm actually thinking that the Democrats may not want to push too hard to get Trump out of office since he may be easier to beat than Pence in 4 years. Especially given the fact that the Electoral College vote is unpredictable for them despite their numerical advantage. What the country will look like in four years is another matter.

I'm becoming more and more Libertarian every day though. Trying to build broad coalitions that favor the public good across wide sectors of society who all want different things is like herding cats and the Dems have tried so hard for so long to be everything to everyone to the point that many of those groups refused to stand up for one another in the last election. The GOP's task is always easier, Christians, Nativists, and people with entrenched interests are easy to coalesce since they all hate any type of social change. To that end, it may be that if they're so easily willing to discount 3 million votes because land is more important than people, then we should all just divest the amount of power that has been concentrated in the Federal government domestically over the years and simply go to the Fed running little more than foreign policy. That way, I can simply go to the places in the country that are more progressive and live their without worrying that the hinterland minority will try to run my life.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Again, this has nothing to do with FIFA and belongs on the Trump thread in Politics.

unclesox repped this.
  7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Asians would vote for Australia. Americas would vote for United States.

Most Europeans would vote for United States, I guess.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Latin America and democratic stronghold Europe would vote for fascist led USA?

9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia is part of the Asian Football Confederation and is thus not eligible to bid for the 2026 World Cup.

zahzah repped this.
  10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Its a stupid rule, I wonder if they'll keep it.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well that basically leaves the Americas and Africa for 2026...

Given Nigeria's issues I would have to say they won't apply. Egypt will never get it. Morocco will probably apply ad they always do.

USA may win by default unless Chile or Argentina or Mexico or Canada apply.

Unak78 repped this.
  12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe South Africa? Too soon?

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Too soon. And politically too risky. That said... at least the stadiums are mostly still there...

Unak78 repped this.
  14. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Some of you guys really are willing to go to ridiculous lengths to indulge in your distaste for a World Cup on US soil. It's painfully obvious that you're just not very fond of the US for reasons that have very little to do with football.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am American, and love America (at least the bits that vote the same way I do); but the USA is not my first choice. My first choice would be England actually, or somewhere in Western Europe that is small geographically and easy to travel around. One of my problems with the USA is that NFL owners will use the WC as bait and leverage to get more money from tax payers for their stupid stadiums. But, yes, admittedly the USA is not a bad choice and better than bankrupting some country and/or pumping up an oppressive governmental regime. Although the USA's political environment is flux too. Anyway, I don't think the WC should be given away.

Unak78 repped this.
  16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadiums are not an issue. There are enough state of the art stadiums in this country that there would be no need for an owner to hold the city hostage for them to build a new stadium because they might get a few World Cup games. There are plenty to go around. Plus with newer stadiums in places like NYC, LA, San Fran, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Detroit no one is fleecing anyone. Only Miami and Chicago are cities that would get games with old stadiums and Soldier Field is not going to be replaced. Washington is the only city that is trying to get a new stadium currently. That looks like 13 stadiums when you only need 12.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well you have to admit that there are other countries that are due a turn before the US though. England, Spain, Italy to name 3 that have waited longer since last hosting. And of course China and Australia/NZ among those that have never hosted. All 5 of those options are good ones, IMO. Maybe only Italy from that list is a bit behind on infrastructure (stadiums) but this would provide a good opportunity for a much-needed upgrade.

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree that England is long over due and that China and Australia would both put on fantastic Cups but none of those countries can hold the 2026 World Cup because of rules.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Italy, like Mexico, have already hosted it twice. They are not long overdue.

Unak78 repped this.
  20. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugal/Spain joint bid would be sensational.

Should have won 2018 imho

The weather, atmosphere, history..beaches:D

verde-rubro repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Longer overdue compared to the US. By 4 years, to be precise. :geek:

Rules, mind you, that FIFA make-up as they go along. It's a pretty absurd rule too considering Oceania is literally on the opposite side of the world from Qatar (and pretty damn far from Russia and Brazil too).

The rotation policy of WC hosts always had an expiration date attached to it. Because, as we're clearly seeing, you reach a point where there is only 1 possible option for a host in a particular year. :laugh: With the WC being expanded that expiration date only comes nearer. Just a matter of time before they are forced to abolish the policy and say 'yeah, its ok to return to the same region within 8 years.'

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not saying it is needed or rational, but it will be used as an excuse. I can see Miami or Denver or whoever saying, "our stadium is 25 years old, give 500 million for upgrades and you'll keep your team, get a Super Bowl, and World Cup games, etc.... ". Hopefully the voters are wisening up, but...

Unak78 and NaBUru38 repped this.
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It's FIFA, enough bags of cash and the rules change.

BocaFan repped this.
  24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm in favor of a US hosted World Cup (together with Canada) just so that the likes of @HomietheClown stop coming here, for at least a few years, while armed to their teeth with diaspora data and NFL stadium lists. :D

Sandinista and AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA voters love authoritarian regimes.

AlbertCamus repped this.