Post-Season 2018/2019

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Deadtigers, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am gonna quote Woody as he touches on stuff to work on for 2019

Personally the team is in a bit of trouble. Parker will looking at Europe, so too will Lawrence. Adams is already gone. Ratzkowski is gonna go and so to Ivan. Time to look at RBII and see who is available in free agency. We also have to decide who to leave unprotected for the expansion draft.

To me this team needs a proper RW to space the field as Muil is not a threat. Etienne is our back-up to Royer, we have no back up to BWP. We need to go swimming again in the English Championship or German Bundi 2 and find another striker to start easing BWP's minutes. We also need to find Kaku, he vanished the second half of the season so we need to be more creative in sitting him or working him out of a funk. We are gonna need possibly new FBs and one new CB, plus 1 new 8 middie.

Woodrow repped this.
  2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expensive DP attacking midfielder. Doesn’t matter what kind since Kaku can play out wide. Just go get the very best player that can press, assist, and score.

Starting quality outside back. Murillo/Duncan level player.

Try to keep almost everyone (as money allows) and promote some guys.

Off the books: Collin, Ivan, Abang, Redding, Keita, and Rivas.

If you can put together a sensible salary for Rzatkowski keep him. If not, see ya.

GK: Robles, Meara, Louro

D: NEW STARTING QUALITY OUTSIDE BACK, Long, Parker, Escobar, Ndam, Taxi, Murillo, Duncan, Lade, Kutler, Yanes

M: NEW ATTACKING DP, Davis, Casseres, Rza, Royer, Muyl, Valot, Bezecourt, Etienne, Kaku, Mines, Kofi, Stroud

F: BWP, White, Moreno

...Give or take. If any of these guys leave you replace them like for like. Lots of salary coming off the roster plus the funny money with Adams sale. Should be easy.

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    https://www.onceametro.com/2018/12/...ms-transfer-fee-new-york-red-bulls-rb-leipzig

Personally, I think that above some kind of Kaku remittance, there will be money earmarked for 1-2 high profile players (depending on who's on the radar), and the GAM can go towards acquiring the 1-2 other new starter-quality players, a couple of defenders would be good, and $375K could probably acquire a decent Concacaf type defender. A little cash to splash on the club infrastructure, Academy programs would be nice. Maybe some cash for buying the training facility property, I just heard it's leased.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Collin, Rivas and Redding are at the top of the list of departures, and probably more to come.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they didn’t screw up the obvious so that’s a good start to the off season!

Ivan needs to go too though. He showed literally nothing. Even all the euro guys that took time to adjust here showed SOMETHING in their first half season. Plus we have other depth guys at the position he plays. Cut ties with this guy now. We are going to regret it if we don’t. Especially if he stays on a stupid salary.

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #7 Woodrow, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    They took a flyer on Ivan, but he's not talented enough or young enough to be worth keeping. And I'd frankly rather the club kept the fringe 1st team slots available for RBII guys to move up. Etienne will need some more seasoning, and Amando Moreno has been showing some flashes, and will need at least the hint of 1st team playing time. Up or out is the only question that matters at Red Bull.

FWIW, the full list of departing players is Aurelien Collin, Ethan Kutler, and Kevin Politz, and forward Carlos Rivas, plus loanees Fidel Escobar and Carlos Rivas.

What this means is Ivan is still a RBNY player for now, as is Abang. There are 23 total rostered players.

Red Bulls Announce End of Season Roster Updates

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    May have been mentioned elsewhere, but still a chance for Champions League. Atlanta needs to win MLS Cup for it to happen.
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/concacaf...n-concacaf-champions-league-last-16-opponents

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we really want CCL next year? Just would sap our energy/focus away from the league. And it's not like an MLS team has every won that trophy, at least not in the last 10 years since it was rebranded.

Deadtigers and Woodrow repped this.
  10. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Selfishly I do, as I can generally only make weekday matches. So I like long US Open Cup/CCL runs! ; )

Deadtigers and NorthBank repped this.
  11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be the first modern MLS team to win the damn thing would be...glorious.

And as our previous performances prove it’s not always the best team that wins a tournament. So...as long as we qualify the chance is always there.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got as far in the last CCL as in the playoffs, and we lost the aggregate by 1 in the CCL and by 2 in the playoffs. At worst, we should beat Atletico Pantoja and reach the Quarterfinals for the third consecutive time. We got an easier opponent than Atlanta. According to Wikipedia's table for the CCL era, Herediano has more points and goals than any MLS club.

Zamphyr repped this.
  13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe last year's CCL games were a great tune up for the MLS season. We came out smoking in the beginning of the season. It's a lot better than playing your USL team or whomever is available. It also gave some RBll players exposure. Mines' first goal in an upset victory was made possible by us being involved.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. But if we advance in CCL, then it overlaps with our regular season, and that was the point I was making about it stretching us thin and potentially eating into our big goal of MLS Cup?

That said, if somehow a miracle were to happy and NYRB, an MLS club, were to win the CCL trophy, that would be hot damn!

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I’d rather put all our eggs in the CCL basket then just forfit 2-3 months worth of games, start actually playing in the summer and then make the playoffs fresh and healthy.

16. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone explain Abang ??
    I have trouble keeping him around even if they were riding out a contract but somebody actually CHOSE to exercise the option and keep him.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys on Seeing Red were conspiracy theorying that they may have resigned him as expansion draft bait. It’s possible a gentlemen’s agreement was reached.

I still think he has the ability to play as a half decent target man in this league, but the nonsense at the end of the season for RB2 sealed it for me. You can’t put your team in that kind of situation. Especially considering your already tenuous position at the club. I think it’s time to move on.

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What "nonsense at RB2"?

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodrow repped this.
  20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well with ATL winning, looks like we will be in the CCL. ******** all this drain us for the season. Winning the season doesn't mean anything and has not done anything for us. Play to win the CCL and finish 4th in the east! Also try to win the USOC.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw everything into CCL then forfeit the next 2 months and rest up. I’m not even kidding.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    How do I subscribe to your newsletter? Cause I fully agree.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my newsletter? ;)

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    One defender out, and one defender in.

The Red Bulls lost Hassan Ndam in the expansion draft to FC Cincinnati today. In return, the club gets a bump of $50K in GAM. In Ndam they lose a hulking physical specimen, just 20 years old, one they had scouted and signed right out of high school. He was still pretty raw but developing, the question is whether FCC can actually keep that going and turn him into a useful MLS center back.

Within no time Hamlet had pulled the trigger trading a 2019 fourth round pick for Orlando defender, 26 year-old Amro Tarek. I'm not crazy about this pick-up, as he's a tweener from a pretty lousy club, but he's probably pretty cheap.

They probably need at least one credible stand-in, maybe go for one on the older side, and at least one to develop.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ndam will be an picked by FCC, I can see it. As for Tarek maybe he will be a better fit in our system. He is 26 an still hasn't broken through is more of a concern.