Post-match: Post-Post-match: PL Match 8: Manchester United vs Newcastle United, Oct 6

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Oct 27, 2019.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League
    Sunday October 6th, 11:30 AM
    St. James' Park, Newcastle

Injured: Ritchie, Lejeuene, Shelvey (NUFC), Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Bailly, Jones (MUFC)
    Suspended: Hayden (NUFC)

Referee: Mike Dean

Well, this is late, but as there's nobody left to read them, who'll be bothered? It has a good chance of being our highlight of the season. Not solely for beating that team that announcers call just United, even when they're playing a real United in our park, but also because of the added drama of Matty Longstaff's debut game winner while playing alongside his brother. He had a beautiful, curling shot in the first half that went off the frame. The winner was more routine - a "hit and hope" as he said in the post match interview. It had plenty of power, if maybe a little closer to the keeper than he would have liked. With the number of goals we're scoring this year, I'm happy with anything on target. We'll done.

We weren't the better side overall - just 32% possession, but we had the same number of shots. Honestly, they barely looked a threat most of the time. There may have been one that they should have scored, but the memory is already fading. Saint-Maximin looked a handful for defenders whenever he had the ball. He's not come up with a shot or lethal pass at the end of it all yet, but a positive start for him. Yedlin's back, but his crossing is even worse than before. It may take him a few matches to get back to below-average, but I still think he should beat out Krafth and Manquillo. Not much potential there, but at least Manquillo's become consistent. Almiron's lost even more confidence. He's still taking bad touches when in position to shoot, and he fell over at the slightest touch to get booked for diving. I think he's frustrated with the physical play of the PL. Lucky for him he's not still our record signing. People would be ripping him more than they are. Instead our current record signing is getting some heat. Joelinton looks good on occasion, but if he can't score in this league, we're looking at 18th place, when it's all over.

So, for a brief moment, we have this win to enjoy. Thank you, M. Longstaff!

2. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it!

el americano repped this.