Post Mortem: The FCD 2017 Post Season Thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a hot sports opinion. I kind of see where you're coming from though. Do you build your team around such a breakable player that leaves you adrift when he's unavailable? If they keep him (and I think he will be much improved next year with more time to recover from his achilles injury) then they must do a much, much better job of having a real like for like backup. The problem is Pomykol should also play that spot and bringing in another player will keep him from playing. I would roll the dice and let Pomykol back up Diaz so he's ready sooner. If the team doesn't make the playoffs then at least it will be better than this year where they lost with a lot of older guys.

2. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually open to the idea of getting rid of Diaz. It's almost like he's too magical for the real world. :)

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need to give him one more season to see if he can get into 2016 form. I agree that having a kid back him up is good because we'll never get a "like-for-like" type backup or he wouldn't be a backup.

4. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tesho seems like a guy who might benefit from a change in scenery. Let him go.
    If this were hockey, I'd advocate acquiring an enforcer to protect Diaz. What are Willi Plett, and Dave Semenko up to? I see Brett Severyn lives in the area.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shane Churla was in town yesterday. Gruezo has the role where typically players are enforcers and while he's good at what he does he's pretty small to be an enforcrer. Of course the alternative view would point to one pint sized Diego Chara.

6. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo was always the player that no MLS defender could handle. When he was the focus of the offense, Barrios and then Diaz could shine. Castillo also made it possible for the other impact players to fly under the radar. They never got game planned like Castillo. Once Castillo permanently left, all the other guys got figured out.

EricSunRa and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  7. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think this was going to be the case when it first happened, but in retrospect this seems right on.

EricSunRa and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason it took other teams time to figure this out. I still think it could have been mitigated had they more speed elsewhere and especially at left back. Probably they knew that and that was the reasoning for Chala who was more raw than they thought and then injured. If he's advanced while loaned out this year and they add Cannon to the right FCD should have the two fastest fullbacks in MLS. Sometimes it's not what the speed burners actually do but the threat of what they could and like SRS says above that provides a lot of room for others to operate in.

9. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I was about to add that this was IMO the slowest overall team during Oscar's 4 years. I'm not saying the team was slow, but it was certainly devoid of "Burners".

The fastest player on the team, Barrios, looked slower than previous seasons. The revelation that Barrios is having foot surgery, helps explain why there appeared to be a drop off.

SeventhRowScreamer repped this.
  10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A good move. We all know that Zim didn't have a future in Frisco.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not assuming that he didn't have a future in Frisco, but I am of the general mindset that you generally gotta give up something to get something, and I don't think that FCD got the #1 allocation spot just for funsies.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Let the speculation begin.

All I know is we've got a ton of work to do on the backline now. So there are guys like Jorge Villafana and Omar Gonzalez on that allocation list.

Just to throw it out there................Fabian Castillo is on the allocation list. It sure seemed like there were bridges burned there, though.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this obviously portends that they are after a returning national team player. Ideas?

15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Abel Hernandez & Eric Lichaj are both rumoured to have MLS interest.

16. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The allocation list is for 2017 and will probably be updated for 2018. I'm hoping that we can somehow snag Emerson Hyndman from Bournemouth's playground and get him back on the field in Frisco.

He looked so good with Rangers on loan and, I think that MLS will offer him a chance to get back into the national team picture. Bournemouth haven't even let him dress for the PL. He's table sitting, signing balls, and training with the U-23s.

He looks like he's on the Sebastian Lletget path, but he could be starting on the national team next year if he plays well at FC Dallas.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villafana, Lichaj and Hyndman seem the best fits from the names listed so far. Castillo would be unexpected but could be a case of both sides making up. Don't know how happy he is in Turkey but I doubt that's what he left for. I imagine he thought he'd quickly go somewhere better. They only thing is none of these are home run picks which is what you think you'd be getting with that 1st spot on the list.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll play Club America in the quarterfinals (with the return leg at Toyota) if we both make it through this round. Would be a high profile game and (what should be) a sellout.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to beat the Panamanian side first. We'll be in pre-season form. Didn't we lose a series to a Panamanian side once?

21. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #46 EricSunRa, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    They felt sorry for the George John own goal and let us play Concachampions in 2011-2012.

We lost 4-6 in aggregate to Tauro FC.
    We also went 0-4 against Toronto FC, but went 3-0 against UNAM.

Monterrey won their second time that year - those were the Chupete years. That guy was unstoppable.

22. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies if any of your are related to or friends of Omar Gonzalez but I must say that he sucks. Are there worse defenders out there? Sure. Would he start in front of Zimmerman and Hedges if they were both here? No. If Gonzalez is starting for you, you're team is weak in the back.
    So did we burn our #1 allocation spot on the THIRD DIVISION keeper?
    HSG is showing true Hunt colors. They may scare Oscar off soon.
    In all honesty, FCD could be looking at a bottom three finish in the league next season.
    Someone correct me if I've missed some great signings.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clark's quote of "we didn't have anyone specific in mind" was enough to make me want to punch him but Dan said that they're looking at a few options. I'll just assume that Dan is more in tune with the club and Clark just looks at the bank account on occasion.

That being said, don't hold your breath on calling anyone a "great signing" until at least halfway through the season. Diamonds in the rough are our target signings.

24. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet our best "signings" will be homegrowns we've already seen play.
    Now that I think about it, that's not so bad. A lot of us asked for it last year.

25. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, we lost 5-3 to Tauro down there in group play after the 2010 season. We beat them 1-0 here. I went to the game down there with a bunch of other STHs on the team plane. It was a fun trip even though we sucked. Saw the canal!