Post-Match USMNT vs. Cuba 10/11

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Winoman, Oct 11, 2019.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is just logic. I dont necessarily agree, but many people seem to think MLS is comparable to the Championship. There is a wide gulf in talent from top to bottom. When you remove all foreigners you are removing the top players, so the over all quality goes down. I actually think there have been a lot of MLSers who have played for usmnt that couldn't hack it in the Championship.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    It’s gotten beyond old.

NietzscheIsDead and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I believe Lletget was cap-tied. Not that anyone was worried.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Didn't he play in a WCQ in 2017?

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep, your right.

6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The problem is, if he makes an outraged post about the past, you'll just post the stupid chicken video. So what's the solution? Just be happy with egg in the present!

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Seriously? Is this going to be your MO? Attack the moral integrity of anyone that finds anything positive in the coach? What next? The guillotine?

HouseHead78, Craig P, Mahtzo1 and 2 others repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    give me a break.

the win was nice but to claim that it was proof that Berhalter’s system is working because we beat a minnow? The game was neither an opportunity to tar and feather nor to laud the coach and/or the team. The poster chose to say it was proof of Berhalter system - it wasn’t.

That’s why posters are responding “negatively” as the post I was responding to asked.

Namdynamo, nowherenova, manq360 and 9 others repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's fine to have your opinion and disagree with someone else. However, you immediately called him Gregg's Mom and finally called him a shill. This is N&A and there are standards here.

TrueCrew, striker, wsmaugham and 3 others repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time when a better U.S.A. side would witness players from MLS n D.C. United specifically playing in their own home stadium find a way to let a Caribbean team back into the match. This at old RFK. So to watch a Berhaulter coached team win 7-0 in D.C. To hell with the details, we won scoring when our boys linked up and looked sharp doing it! This match was a step in the right direction. Which I think many of us were just hoping on, a positive showing and a solid team effort.
    On to Canada in Toronto.

Pegasus and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    there have been a series of new posters who have come on here since Berhalter was hired (Office space, this poster, etc) whose sole intent appears to be to back Berhalter’s decisions.

Maybe they’re real posters but this comment is so beyond the pale given the circumstances, it’s ridiculous. There are plenty of posters, including yourself, who don’t either go to this extreme in dubious support of the Coach or subsequently get called out as a shill/related family member. @superdave doesnt ask every poster he disagrees with the chicken question, it’s the ones he finds extreme.

for you to characterize it as “anyone who has anything positive to say about coach” is total bullshit and you (should) know that.

Namdynamo, nbarbour and btlove repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Pretty much the exact type of win-and-move-on game I expected. Second half was a let off, but that's fairly common in games where the first half is obliteration level.

CP, though, a bit worrying if I'm being honest. I expected him to have a Morris/McKennie impact. Hopefully he looks more ready against Canada.

CeltTexan, wixson7, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Hard to raise ones stock in this game but the people who lowered it would be

- Pulisic
    - lovitz
    - Boyd
    - Lletget
    - roldan

And just for @Excellency, I’ll add McKennie.

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Its not just Cuba. We tried it against Mexico. Obviously not successfully, but this is a young group...there will be ups and downs.

No need for the hypercynicism. This is a time of program growth to be enjoyed. It is a significant period in US Soccer.

15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Hyperpolarized contraposed outragefests are the way of the world. Im just not interested in the outrage....it’s boring. I am interested in the possibility that the program mindset may finally be changing from reactive to proactive, however. That piques my interest no matter who the coach is.

wixson7 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify...i go to chicken fornication over Michael Bradley obsessives. Like, when a thread is named for another player, and Bradley comes up.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once upon a time, Cuba made Wondolowski look like a competent international player.

Any positive conclusions drawn from this game should keep that in mind...

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    On the surface that seems true but I wouldn't worry too much about Pulisic. As good as McKennie was, if the ball didn't fall to his feet 3 times we wouldn't be talking about him so much. The reality is almost that every US player was so much better than their Cuban counterpart that the law of diminishing returns kind of shows itself in Pulisic's performance.

It's kind of like if I was marking Tab Ramos (in his prime) and my brother was marking Messi...Ramos might just dribble by me all game and Messi wouldn't get a touch. (ok, I'm sure he would get a touch but you get my point I hope). Against better opposition Pulisic will probably be far more influential because we need him to be more influential.

(I hope that makes sense...it's kind of convoluted I think)

As for the first part, I agree 100%. Not much you can take away from it...just move on. About the only think that MIGHT be possible is to get some hints about what Berhalter is thinking. Has Yuell moved up in the pecking order past Trapp? Is Sargent closer (in Berhalter's mind) to challenging for Zardes' spot? How does Berhalter see Ream going forward? (primarily LB or CB?) How about Boyd? He didn't even start this throw away game...

That being said, about the only thing a game like that is actually good for is getting into bad habits that the good teams will punish you for.....

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would make many of us happy, I suspect, and certainly me, would be genuine progress in how we play against strong teams. I am sick and, yes, tired, of we being told to not worry about the crap we offer against anyone of quality because "Minnow X" or "Mite Y" or " Mote Z" made us look good by comparison.
    This is not "negativity", it is frustration at the lack of honesty as to where we are and the refusal to face what we need to do just to recapture the place held in the first decade of this millennium . We actually have a federation, and people on these boards, who are seriously [apparently] telling us to be happy because we can show we are a full cut above a Cuba. 16 years ago we fought Germany to a true standstill in the quarterfinals of the World Cup, and now we are kindergarten children encouraged to feel good because we can quaff a pint of Kool-Aid.

Enough of this merda.

Namdynamo, nowherenova, russ and 3 others repped this.
  21. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Lol

Acceptable responses:

This is NA and....

That was tame

Where are the nazi references.

You didn’t connect this topic to Trump somehow.

Etc.

[emoji3]. Just having fun

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  22. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Always happy to see an emphatic win. Fun to watch, more please. Of course, against Cuba this is expected so hard to make much out of it. And if we want to talk playing style; fine, it works when we have more talent at every position than our opponent but in those cases practically any playing style will get you a solid win if players execute at all. If it don't scale up, it's meaningless. When we've been against better teams it thus far has not worked. Beating up on Cuba does not change this.

TOAzer, Burr and DHC1 repped this.
  23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can you say in games like this? But, players looked engaged and in good spirit including post-match as pointed out by @wixson7. That is something I look for regardless of outcome.

Editor In Chimp and wixson7 repped this.
  24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It was a game against Cuba. It’s good they won but it’s not indicative of anything.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    sigh. this is the way our world is today.

1. a new poster makes a hyper-partisan statement that almost, but not entirely as we’ve seen, all Berhalter supporters don’t support.

2. when opposing posters rise to the bait due to the outrageously partisan post, the OP claim moral superiority and shock at the “outrage”.

SMH.

Namdynamo, btlove, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.