Post match - USA vs. Chile - March 26, 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by lmorin, Mar 26, 2019.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The highlight for me: Zardes's assist for the goal. It was Donovanesque.

ipass, majspike, juveeer and 5 others repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Disappointing for the most part ...

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since we're starting the likes of Miazga, Lovitz and Ream, expect us to do a lot of defending-with-10 this cycle.

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I am not confident in Baird’s ability to play at this level

ipass, stucknutah, tomásbernal and 5 others repped this.
  6. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's weird to even watch this squad right now. Not altogether bad and context is key. But just had to see what Berhalter is gunning for exactly besides religiously preaching shape.

Also weird (or maybe not) to watch this broadcast that 1) made no attempt to locate footage of Pulisic's injury or comment on it much until well after it happened and 2) spent the vast majority acting as if it's completely normal that Michael Bradley is pulling 90 as a 6 out there. That's not even ragging on Bradley -- low-hanging fruit to do that, although he can still dime it, gotta give him credit there -- but just ... why is soccer media just OK with everything that exemplifies?

Finally: Baird went from the most anonymous to outright worst USMNT performance I've seen in some time. Hate Zardes all you want; at least you understand why he's there and he shows up in the game. Baird looked like Berhalter actively regretted the call-up.

7. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once Pulisic went down, we amounted to a B team, and one which didn't entirely disgrace itself. Useful in evaluating who can play a reserve role going forward.

jnielsen, wsmaugham, swedust and 13 others repped this.
  8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame we had to move Roldan back and sub in Trapp to help MB. But, at least GB recognized the problem and tried to adjust.

Fantastic play by Zardes to set up Pulisic for the goal.

BTW, what happened to GB’s system?

Patrick167 repped this.
  9. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I thought it was a disappointing game in several ways--pretty boring, not many US players showing well, and the US demonstrating that they can't deal with a high press.

Now since I agree others will have the negatives covered, here are the potential positive takeaways for me:

1) Arriola and Zardes were serviceable. We all know that they're limited technically, but they work hard, make good runs, and can be good complements to better players around them.

2) The US generally did well to bend, but not break, even when Chile really had them rattled with their pressing in the latter part of the 1st half. Chile still didn't get many good looks at goal.

3) Berhalter's switch to more of a 5-3-2/3-5-2 partway through the 2nd half seemed to allow the US to solidify things and get back in the game a bit. 'Twas a good adjustment to at least preserve a draw.

orcrist, juveeer, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.
  10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one player disappointed me: Roldan. The rest were more or less at expected levels. Roldan seemed just out of it a lot of the time. Pretty positive team play, especially given who the team was missing and who GB chose to start. The defense continued its nice run of games despite the substantial change in players from game to game. Speaks to a generally good organizational understanding among whoever plays.

tomásbernal and Footsatt repped this.
  11. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was better than Trapp today and Adams was unavailable. I mean yeah I'd like to think we have progressed to the point where a 30+ year old Bradley wouldn't be getting 90 minutes but he's arguably our 3rd best #6 and we needed both him and Trapp out there at the same time to step Chile's attack.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly, not a lot from either game. The players who most suspected weren't ready for this level showed that they aren't.

Good on Zardes to get a goal and assist in the two games, but his first touch means he's a top-5 American forward at his absolute best.

Horvath was a nightmare distributing the ball today. Hope he can improve that.

Ream can't play for this team at any serious level. He can't stay switched on for a full 90.

Miazga didn't do anything to suggest that he's more than Brooks's backup.

Baird tries hard, but he doesn't have the technical skills to play at the international level yet. If he puts up numbers in MLS this season like he did in 2018, he has to move abroad.

Bradley can ping a nice pass, but he doesn't have the legs to play as a 6 or the accuracy to play as an 8 or a 10.

Jonathan Lewis shouldn't be called up at all unless he can lock down a place at club level.

Berhalter's system is intriguing, but his player selection gets a D- so far.

Deadtigers, CU soccer, majspike and 5 others repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better hope the U23's and U20's take a big leap as this squad today was full of non-international talent.

jnielsen, CU soccer, majspike and 14 others repped this.
  14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Halfway decent for in essence our our 2nd XI against a team that actually committed to the press, but we need a plan B. I think it's silly to commit to playing out of the back do-or-die. Our goal came from direct play. A bunch of our better players are probably best served by playing somewhat direct, Pulisic in particular.

We were very sloppy with the ball in the back under pressure. None of these guys in the back that played today and didn't play on Thursday particularly made a strong case for themselves, even though they were under pressure.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Only saw the 2nd half close up. There's an upper limit to a team of MLS Talent Rappers. We hit it.

Midas Mulligan and SteelyTom repped this.
  16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bad is Pulisic's injury? Now that both he and McKennie are out, this is a major problem for the senior team.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right now we don't have any tested difference maker. The team vs. Ecuador was pretty much our A-team.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He'll be fine.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For me it was watching Horvath on the reply of that goal. That was no accident. He saw Zardes and Pulisic bunching forward and sent the kind of ball to Zardes which he cold handle and lay off to a teammate who in this instance happened to be Pulisic. Horvath came off his line early with good anticipation. I don't think Johnson makes that play.

2in10, zlatan_but_a_car and Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This is a major problem for their clubs. I rather these players rest well and show up for their clubs, than these meaningless and garbage friendlies.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Watching the results of these friendlies, Mexico is hitting peak too early and South America needs a serious rebuild because right now they're looking worse than the AFC second-tier.

Even El Salvador looked scary today. We need a striker. Pronto.

SteelyTom repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    But....integration.Experience.Learning the system. How will they soak up Lion level knowledge at clubs like Chelsea?

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Zardes donkey-touches aren't doing it for you?

Naaah, GGG had him in CBus, so he's not allowed to look at any other strikers. Better have Sargent, Weah, any everyone else who's young and talented, play YNT games so we never know how good they are! Yay!

CU soccer, Midas Mulligan and CeltTexan repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Replace Adams, Brooks and Trapp with Yedlin, Gonzo and Bradley and the passing game that put Ecuador on their heels is not there anymore.

For all the ragging on Ream, how many goals do Antoneee and Yedlin have to give up from the fullback position before we say enough?

CU soccer repped this.
  25. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    The US wasn't good tonight. But if we are honest neither was Chile. Chile had several opportunities to run up the score and couldn't execute. Several of us have pointed out that pressing the ball would be a huge problem for the system GB wants to play. It was pretty evident tonight what a strong team that could finish would have done to us.

Also, I think it is pretty evident that it is time to move on from Bradley. Yes, he played two nice balls. But he was largely an orange traffic cone tonight. This is becoming a Mandoza line or more accurately a Ralston line conversation. Do those two balls justify his inability to run or pass under pressure? I don't think they do. The problem is Will Trapp isn't much better.

I want to give GB the benefit of the doubt that he is more than just platitudes about the shape of the team and systems of play. But I also am not sure I have a lot of hope that isn't the case.

UncagedGorilla, DHC1, russ and 2 others repped this.