Post-match: United States v Jamaica Gold Cup Final 7/26

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid game except for the continuing defensive dead ball weakness.

Flipside is that we are punishing fouls by putting FKs into the net.

Winoman and dcpohl repped this.
  2. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won!!! Wooooo!

Berks, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    No criticisms yet. It'll wait. Congratulations guys!!

4. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Dear Mexico Fans,

Chanting ******** on goal kicks makes you a bunch of jerk offs.

Chanting ******** on goal kicks in a final your team wasn't good enough to get to makes you the greatest jerk offs in the history of the world.

IHSSOC, napper, Redmen Rule and 48 others repped this.
  5. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or how about chanting "Mexico, Mexico!" when Blake is clearly down and seriously injured.

6. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Only took 4 posts to get negative. LOL.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce has done a very good job. Hopefully he got to see what he wanted during this tournament. That was always the most important thing. Lifting the trophy is the icing on the cake.

napper, um_chili, deuteronomy and 4 others repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm afraid Blake saves that though...

sXeWesley repped this.
  9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica impressed against Mex and US. Hope that new manager sticks around and the Jamaican program flowers.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't like that it took until late in the game to beat Jamaica.

Lets not have a minnow mentality about this tournament. We are the best team in the region, we should've expected to win this tournament. We did so, and we didn't even play our best. Still a lot to improve on, this team needs to get better. We are not yet ready to play at the WC. What changes to the main group will Arena make after this Gold Cup? He's mostly done his job though. Now we need to qualify for the WC, and make necessary changes to the best 23.

ipass and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've fallen back in love with this team again. The whole Klinsmann era feels like a bad dream.

napper, eric_appleby, Galaxian and 40 others repped this.
  12. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Uni Deportes crew - I have to switch over when Fox is missing half the action by showing close-ups or whenever Strong says "reset" three times in ten seconds - wondered how impressed Infantino, who was there, would be by the chants.

justinpaul10 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good tactics by Bruce. Immediate strong pressing when we lose the ball to stop Jamaica's transition game. However, once again our combination game lacked the final pass. We never quite got our strikers with a good ball in good position.

freisland and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You know, I liked Villafaña. He can be a decent cover at LB for when Fabian is not feeling the game is important enough.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    A bit too much passing and crossing sloppiness all night from the U.S., but the result is what counts. Good win, and good effort from Jamaica. They always seem like the most gentlemanly team in CONCACAF as far as just playing and not resorting to all the drama and blatantly cheap stuff.

Anyways, good tournament overall. Hopefully the momentum carries over to qualifying.

(TxT), sXeWesley and adam tash repped this.
  16. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We left it too late for my nerves, but we were deserved winners. There will be time for critiquing what we learned from this tournament, but for tonight I'm going to savor a championship.

Way to go guys!

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Blake was forced out and Howard wasn't.
    Folks who persist in thinking Zardes is fast should review Jamaica's counter during the 78th minute.
    While Zardes isn't fast, Morris was blowing past Jamaicans, with ease. He looked awesome out wide.
    That starting lineup made the match harder than it needed to be.
    Nagbe's positioning in central midfield was not dynamic enough. He was too static when not on the ball. He didn't aggressively seek space to receive passes.

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 1-0 win minus Jordan Morris. Glad he scored the winning goal, but my my, what an atrocious game otherwise.

Far from a perfect performance. Altogether, however, the team showed good organization and played together most of the time. Nagbe seems to be improving re not giving up the ball so much heading into the attacking third. He needs to do more because his over-extended dribbling is exhausting him and he will not be able to do it against better teams.

Bradley was generally awesome. I really think his play has been significantly boosted by the stability and organization of the team and by the arrival of Bruce Arena, in particular.

Redmen Rule, wixson7 and Dervos repped this.
  19. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I'm not one of the Bradley haters that show up on BigSoccer, but I found him a slightly strange choice for Golden Ball. I understand that there wasn't a clear-cut alternative, and the captain of the champions is a safe choice, but even just on the same team, I'd put Nagbe and Altidore ahead. Maybe Andre Blake was the most deserving on any team of the Golden Ball.

20. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tournament really magnified just how important Michael Bradley is to our team. We went from struggling to win the midfield battle against the likes to Martinique and Nicaragua to dominating Costa Rica and Jamaica. I have no stats to back this up, but you can probably count the number of misplaced passes he had in this tournament on one hand. He and Nagbe (and Dempsey off the bench) completely changed the dynamic of this team and allowed us to actually control the tempo of the games.

I'll save the in depth analysis for tomorrow -- but I'm going enjoy and celebrate this title! Not many national teams get the chance to win any type of silverware and we do it fairly regularly, let's not take it for granted.

Redmen Rule, wixson7, deejay and 17 others repped this.
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe had a good tournament. He's just not playing the role that others wish of him.

Morris and Arriola have room for improvement but do a lot of good work. There's value there.

Acosta should be benched for a while. Talent there but Bruce needs to sit him right now.

Villafana not horrendous but I really don't want him starting.

Besler changed the backline.

Clint still way too valuable to this team for my liking.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And the fact that we no longer lose to Jamaica lets you know the Klinsmann era is truly over.

23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here were all the tournament awards

Golden Ball Award: Michael Bradley

Golden Boot Award: Alphonso Davies

Golden Glove Award: Andre Blake

Bright Future Award: Alphonso Davies

Fair Play Award: United States

24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Campeones!!!

That was tough, Jamaica really packed it in. They are also big, strong and fast.

Jozy was terrific, my motm. Zusi was a stud in possession that second half. Nagbe was dynamite on the ball, and managed to draw about 8 fouls.

What was Acosta doing, besides getting in his teammates way? Strange game from him, very badly positioned. Once he came out, Nagbe settled things by simply playing the position correctly. After that, the US camped in their half.

Morris is all heart and wheels, I'm a fan. Great to see him atone for his gaffe in a big way. Arena made the sub of the night by pulling Arriola instead of Morris. But Zardes, woof. Still, he somehow sparked the goal scoring sequence. But woof, all the same.

25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see us lift the trophy once again!

I like that Morris bagged the tournament-winning goal, we need to see young forwards finding success in important moments.

Villafaña may have had a better day defensively, but I found myself very frustrated with him on the attack from the flank. Almost every cross went straight into the man marking him. He needs much more nuance in his game when he gets forward and not be so predictable.