Post-Match Thread:: DC United @ Real Salt Lake 4/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 12, 2008.

1. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    BTW - I don't really give a ratz azz about last night's result. Ok, it's 3 points that we lost. But otherwise, I equate its significance to DC United's reserve team playing another team in indooor soccer or beach soccer. I just don't think that the conditions were comparable to that of real soccer.

Also, I thank God that Gallardo was not out on the "pitch."

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why was moreno? Thats whati want to know, given how hes injrury prone, why risk it???

3. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007

Good question.

I assume it is because he has had fewer minutes this year but you're right: that field had to be worse on a player's body than anything I can imagine.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point (in the message you responded to) was not to criticize any individual players, really. My point was narrowly tailored to roadkit's post I responded to. I claim that the team F.O., through its offseason moves and P.R. ventures, has encouraged people to have very high expectations (not hopes, but expectations) this year. If we fall very very short on those expectations, then it's a logical identity to say that the team failed. Obviously it's a tad bit early to making a prediction in this regard (although doubtless someone out there will think that's what I'm doing). My response was tailored to roadkit's suggestion that we'll have a solid team that will at least earn a berth in the playoffs; my assertion is that they need to accomplish more than that description, or else they will have failed.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have baaaaad knees, had knee surgery a year ago. I refuse to play on turf unless it is high quality aka the cushy kind. I feel it REALLY bad then next day if its crappy turf aka concrete. I can only imagine what moreno must feel like who is like 10 years older than me. :p

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or 3. A wake-up call to DCU that the league has improved and they'd better not take anyone else lightly.

7. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    I turned on the match at 9:30 on CSN and see it was 20 minutes in and we were down 2 goals already.

I wanted to punch a hole through the TV.

Painful game to watch. Nothing was going our way, the turf sucked, we couldn't string any passes together, we couldn't get any shots on target, and our defense looked like swiss cheese.

What was up with Debuacher (sp?) continually falling over any time Peralta got near him? Why were Burch's crosses on the ground to RSL players?

Why can't I string Beckerman up by his dreads?

I'm not all doom and gloom, just frustrated. I'll still be out there Thursday screaming my guts out.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate you 'highly doubting' because you've never been on it. I have. Indeed, I watched it being installed. In 2002, when it was installed, I was working in the office building next to the stadium and watched the installation daily. Lots of folks think concrete is under it.

It isn't concrete. It is the soil, gravel, drainage, etc. under-layer that appears to be the manufacturer's requirements based on their website.

It is has a cushion consistency similar to what you find on other FieldTurf fields. I also watched another one installed at another Utah college (this one explicitly for soccer and lacross) in 2005, I've walked on both, the only difference was the new one the rubber pellets kicked up really easy because they hadn't settled down into the matrix as far yet, it was literally days old when I walked on it.

I know you want to blame DCU's poor performance on the admittedly ugly field at Rice Eccles Stadium. But, to do so would mean you have to be prepared to explain good performance on the other FieldTurf fields in the league. And, you have to explain why in years past, other teams would come into RES and play the vagaries of the turf better than RES. Keep in mind, DCU always would come to RES and play better than RSL, but not get results. Last night was the second time in a DCU/RSL game at RES that the team that played better also got the result. The first time was the first DCU/RSL match in 2005, when Adu had his fabulous 40 yard dribble to score.

Accept that the managers set DCU up to fail and that is what happened. Next game will tell the real story for DCU.

I say this as a 'semi' DCU supporter, attended 4 matches in RFK last year. I live only 2 hours from DC now. But, my heart still belongs to RSL.

9. The Capital Club

The Capital Club BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

i do not care that we lost i care more that none of our players got hurt... that is a victory!!!!! lol seriously

10. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

absolutely the league, and all its teams are better every year man-- good news.... i mean the mere fact that we let gomez go that strengthend the league, and another team... of course we are the fountain head... that is our job as the boss - but it is never the less the case - the league is way waaaay better in quality than it was even 5 years ago--- wait another 15 -20 years--- it will become one of the best leagues in the world, watch -

11. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

a! stay loyal. growing pains suck, but remain loyal. kapeesh-

12. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth
    if your heart belongs to weak take lake then you are the enemy - further more there is no semi support. you are either with us or against us chum. NO FENCE RIDING. and as you say your heart is with weak take lake--- then old chum, YOU ARE A PILGRIM IN UNHOLY LAND.

13. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

yes it is time to take the euro trash out. i concur - of all the nations in the world with a real chance i mean an honest legit chance of punishing europe or brasil or argentina it is the USA. we can, there for WE MUST. we will -

14. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say, that turf is nothing like any other that is suitable for soccer. I dont care about turf that acts as fake grass. We played like shit because of it. But.....RSL didnt look that good either. They may be a little used to it, but maybe this is why they have had a bad record over the last couple seasons.

No one in soccer should play on that. And FIFA would never let a match happen on that. There are reasons why they install grass for FIFA games.

15. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth
    field games are to be played in a field. not on a carpet. lol -- only natural grass. nothing else.. that stadiums time is nye for weak take lake-- thank GOD.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica plays world cup qualfiers at Saprissa stadium, on Field Turf.

17. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Doesn't DC have two fields in the practice facility - one natural, one synthetic? Anybody know if they bothered preparing for this match during training by using the synthetic surface? It's not like they didn't have the option to get accustomed to how the ball runs this week, right?

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to welcome a potential fan... elitist snob..

'Weak Take Lake' just kicked your silly-team up and down the carpet. The rug burns on DCU's collective knees is telling, in many ways, use your imagination. But, rear-facing seems best. If you want to talk silly trash...there is some for you.

All this enemy talk is always so tiring and stupid. We all want soccer to succeed in the US. Enemy talk makes it sound like people real lives depend on the outcome. They don't. This is a children's game, played by grown men dressed in children's clothes (colorful shorts and shirts that they wouldn't be caught dead wearing off the pitch, if not for soccer). Taking it so seriously as to declare someone who may become a fan of the team an 'enemy' is just effed up.

Because, the reality is it doesn't really matter to the actual concerns of the world. Children are starving, nations are at actual war and people are losing their homes to the mortgage fiasco. The outcome of the soccer game makes not a whit of difference to any of that. If you want to declare an enemy, make one of those things your enemy and put the passion there.

But, if you want to enjoy an entertainment, too, that sounds nice and enjoy it. But, within the scope of that entertainment calling an opponent (for today, maybe seating neighbor at a future match as a fellow fan) an enemy is sad.

You see, it's like this: I"ve moved far away from a team that was my first fanship in soccer, 3 years of season tix. I have loyalty, but where will I be in that loyalty 5 or 10 years from now? Maybe I become a DCU fan?

But, if I was depending on your welcome, no way.

good thing that SeahawkDad and others have welcomed me previously.

19. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    To me this result came at least partially from arrogance on behalf of the coach. Either arrogance that DC could beat RSL while resting 3 players who deserved to be on the pitch, or arrogance that you could throw away 3 points and it didn't matter - you'll end up making the playoffs anyway.

The other part that lead to the result was an ill-advised tactical game plan. As I stated before the match, the 3-5-2 (or 3-4-3) was a bad idea against RSL. We had a team that was frustrated and had not been able to put the goal in the net despite creating chances. Allowing RSL to score a cheap one early was a big mistake. The 3-4-3 directly led to that first goal, and lifted a huge monkey off of our back.

20. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth
    that field should be called FLUBBER FIELD.:p

21. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

weak take lake we dont care, you guys may be improved but you are still a weakling team --- ya got ya little three points we will see you on the 26th in the prison to take your scalp clean off.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be a dick.

RSL opened up a tall boy can of whoop ass on us last night. Calling them a weakling team doesn't make it true.

23. The Capital Club

Apr 13, 2008
    earth

im not to worried about it--- but they are a weakling team, facts are facts-- im not deny'n we got beat last night we did-- who cares -- the fact is they are a weaker team, and well what else needs saying?

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh brother.

25. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006