Post-Match Thread:: DC United @ Real Salt Lake 4/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 12, 2008.

1. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I won't lie. I was a huge Domer since 4th grade and just didn't get in. Deep down I'm probably still Notre Dame. But I have to love my school. GO EAGLES

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    DCU sucked bad tonight. With Mediate, Dyachenko, and McTavish in your starting midfield I don't care what MLS team you are. You will lose. The turf is a silly excuse. RSL still scored 4 goals on the same stuff. It was bizarre how Rongen commented that Soehn didn't want to play Martinez and Gallardo on the turf because they had never played on it before. What does that say about the decision to play Carvallo and Peralta on the turf? I doubt those guys have played on it either. Furthermore, if Gallardo can't play on turf, why did DC sign him? We still have games on turf at NY, Toronto, and Seattle next year. Also, when we traded Gomez we lost a great free kick taker. Tonight, Santino took FKs. Peralta is begining to look like a bigger Bobby Boswell every game.

3. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Did not expect us to give up four goals but not surprised we lost. People can call it whatever they want but artificial surfaces are a joke and it's a shame they're part of the league. Every year we give salt lake a morale boosting win that's suppose to "turn around" their season and every year they end up with more losses than wins, but good for them they didn't have to wait two months into the year to get their first win this season. Bottom line, we got out played by an at best average team, missing three very important starters, on a short week, on a small, narrow field with a surface that its a pos. This game won't have a big impact on the season and no one will remember it or even bother bring it up until right before next season's game in sandy, when they play us yet again looking for their first win of the season.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what has me a little worried. When the team started poorly last year, you always had the impression that they 'should' be playing better and that once they started up, they'd be ok. I didn't expect a supporters shield, i must admit, but i expected them to cruise into the playoffs and be a force. This year, watching all the games that I've watched in the first 3 weeks, honestly ........ the rest of the league simply looks like they are just as talented as DC overall. And with the extra games this team is going to play, the task is made even more difficult. Again, this year is going to be a wide open affair. This Columbus game is going to tell us alot about this team.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Soehn volunteered to be the official scapegoat after mentioning 5 games in 15 days.

6. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched all 13 years of DC United footie as a season Ticket Holder. I can count on one hand how many DCU regular season games I have not seen. But That. But that was the absolute worst game of football I have ever seen DC United play. NO championship team plays like that EVER.......

This team has no guts... No heart. This team should be Embarrassed and they don't deserve to be called DC United.

Its not as if they actually played a good team and were absolutely thrashed; this was RSL one of the absolute crap teams in the league. A team whose best players are DC United rejects.

RSL is actually taking a standing ovation from their fans - even though they could not put 3 passes together throughout the game.

RSL played like a Rec Team with little or no skill that played everyone back behind the ball and once in a while hit a long ball over the top of the defense for someone to run on and take a crack at goal. And against DCU it worked as if it was the second coming of Total Football - the new clockwork orange.

And what the hell was the coaching staff doing? They played an experimental lineup with reserve players at an away game. Both the Coaching staff and the Team gave up. They actually gave up....

If I were a fan that traveled to RSL to see this game I would be all over DCUs front office.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR#$@&*^

7. Cmoney101

Cmoney101 Member

May 19, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow u can never justify losing 4-0.

I really really miss perkins. I think Kirk should replace Mctavish. We are overlooking a great player.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Mediate played left back; Burch was started in the midfield.

But I get your point.

Yup. People saying "it's the turf, stupid" forget that we've routinely assraped Jersey on their turf. And I dunno about this year yet, but for the last two years Jersey has been a better team than RSL. The turf is not an excuse.

Once Santino came in; he didn't play the first half. And Gomez was a great free kick taker as far as going for goal was concerned -- in fact, he was fantastic at going for goal. But I don't think his corners, or his free kicks played as balls into the box, were in the same league. But yeah, no one on this team has established themselves as a free kick threat yet.

This one I don't get. He had an awful match tonight, yes. But his previous matches I've thought (and it's seemed like everyone else thought) were pretty good. In fact, prior to tonight, I've kept hearing people refer to Peralta as a successor to Nelsen.

9. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You don't sound very happy.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Third consecutive aberration in Utah. At some point you simply have to deduce that this team, regardless of the changes made, is soft.

They play a fantastic match against the best team in this region and get pounded and embarrassed against one of the worst franchises this league has ever seen.

That was a pathetic and gutless performance. I would have preferred that they forfeited and not got off the plane, cause they left their game and their heads in Washington.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My MOTM goes to dcchelseafc (Paulie). He waved that flag like he meant it, and had good follow-through with it. Which is more than I can say about anyone wearing white tonight. That blew. I hope that game is forgotten by the time they board the plane tonight/tomorrow.

It is completely unfair to compare the turf in Seattle, Toronto, and even Jersey, to that utter crap old-style football turf laid straight onto concrete in the land of no caffeine or beer.

12. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The best thing about this game: it's over.

Blame everything: turf and football markings. Many players never experienced this stuff before.
    Blame everything: crazy lineup. They have never played with this one.
    Blame everything: no guts.
    Blame everything: the cold. No, can't blame the cold. Fred still played. He was probably the only one who did. But you can't beat a team that plays with 11 when only one plays.

The worst DC United game that I have ever watched. And I only watched half of it.

13. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Not a single word needed to be posted after this line. Says it all.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to be negrepped by a couple of people for this, but I have one more thing to add ........ and it's based on the statement above, which i just heard Soehn say on Comcast Sportsnet. Does anyone else have a problem with Soehn
    'resting' guys now, on the road against an opponent that has actually played fairly well the first 2 games of the season, instead of resting the same guys against Toronto at home, who everyone could see was the worst team in the league? It seems to me that if the amount of games was a problem, he would have done a better job at choosing which games were those that needed the first team and where it was smart to 'save' players. Maybe we would have had a chance against Pachuca if we had trotted this type of team out against Toronto, who we still probably could have gotten a result against, then coming back with a first team against Pachuca. I like Soehn, but I hate this type of excuse coming on the heels of poor man management.

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    exactly what I'm wondering. Why not giving him some playing time? He's salary is almost 100K. I thought he was injured or something. No MLS team has luxury to idle 100K player.
    What's going on?

16. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    sad just a sad display.

Columbus, RSL and LA get beat up like this, not DC United.

Maybe Garber should worry about teams showing up for MLS Regular season games.

before he worries about international competition.

Columbus scored 4 goals today, all of them before the two red cards.

17. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Mods, let's go ahead and lock this thread and start up the Cowlumbus pre-match thread.

18. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wish I could, my friend. I wish I could.

19. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes

20. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone is overreacting. Yes we played bad.

They needed to rest key players, and without some of them in there the team has a real hard task.

Not an important game at this time in the season and thats why Soehn used it to rest people.

Also its not like RSL was fantastic, they were ok, and we were bad, the ball was in the air more than at anyones feet. Our chemistry isnt there yet either, give us a couple more games before you call the season over.

I feel bad for Carvallo, not a good place to get your 1st MLS game. 1 goal was his fault, and the last one was a mess and Peralta is at fault.

21. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    The team needs to refund the Captain, Mark and Nick's ticket price and buy them beer for the rest of the year for witnessing that crap.
    Glad I was working on my taxes. Fun night all around....:rolleyes:

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team has the luxury of idling a player that counts $0 against their books and the salary cap.

Kirk is Gen.A. That's who's paying his salary.

I know nothing about Kirk; never seen him play. I'm hoping I'll at least see him at a U.S. Open Cup game.

23. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of his thought was probably based on the field conditions. And you want to impress the home fans more than the away ones.

I think the big mistake was not starting Carvallo against Toronto, that would have been a good game to get his feet wet.

24. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. This needs to be vented. That crap might be ok for some teams but that performance is total unacceptable for DC United.

If DCU ever want to be consider in reality an elite team and organization, Players and Management need to be held accountable for that type of performance.

25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to be the worst that DCU has played in recent memory. But, I have to wonder what Soehn was thinking using that new formation, using reserves, and especially starting Carvallo, who had probably never played on astroturf before. Unless he's injured, Wells should have been in goal for this one (IMHO).

Well, call the dog - it's time to bury that turd.