PBP: Post Hudson Era #7 - Rapids host the Loons • 7 pm Sat., June 8

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Jun 6, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The Rapid look to be on a massive upswing. Will the scoring of multiple goals continue on Saturday night at DSGP? My prediction is 'yes,' even without Lewis. Shinyashiki is a difference maker right now. Nicholson continues to make pacy runs that create issues for the defense. Time to get Kamara back into the scoring column. Also, with Rubio questionable and Lewis with the MNT, Bassett is likely going to get a chance to make an impact. And of course Acosta and Price need to continue dictating from their holding positions. Oh, and I'm expecting more big defensive plays from Abubakar.

upload_2019-6-6_10-31-23.png

With Wynne out I expect Vines will start.

Sports Yak and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Will Lewis not be able to play this Saturday? I'm not 100% sure how the gold cup roster thing works, but they don't play until 6/18 - which means that he should be able to go for the Rapids this weekend (and potentially next) right?

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The MNT have their second and last pre-Gold Cup friendly v Venezuela on Sunday. Supposedly this is when we'll see the 'A' team, Pulisic, etc. I assume that Lewis is obligated to stay with the MNT and train in preparation for the Gold Cup which begins for them on the 18th.

One way or the other I doubt we'll see him in a Rapids kit until the Gold Cup is over. If his hamstring is still an issue he can't play regardless. If he's healthy he's on the final roster for the Gold Cup.

4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Gotcha, thanks.

Well, assuming that Rubio and Wynne don't play as well due to their questionable status, I'd guess that this would be our lineup:

lineup (2).png

For subs, I'd guess the following:

1. Mezquida on for Bassett in the 60-70th min range (or vice versa, pending who gets the actual start)

2. Serna for Nicholson if Sam get's gassed - swap Shinyashiki on to the right, and have Serna play left wing

3. Not used unless necessary for injury

Andy126 repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Well, that's the lineup I'd go with ;). Seriously though, it's the one that gives the Rapids a chance to keep up the momentum and puts guys into positions to be successful.

If the Rapids have a two or more goal lead in the final 20 minute I'd consider giving Acosta a rest.

Andy126 repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Pretty much. Lewis was named to the Gold Cup final 23.

As an aside, I see the USA men N&A forum is still as level-headed as ever.

8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction:

Colorado 2-1 Minnesota

9. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I see MN is in the middle of the pack as opposed to an also ran. Where earlier in the season I used to write, "I'll keep predicting losses until I'm proven wrong," which unfortunately I never was, now I'm going the other direction. Rapids win 3-1 with Kamara and Acosta scoring the first two, Shin clinching it at the end.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win, goals by Kamara and Shinyashiki. I think our current form and home advantage will give us enough to put us on top in this one. Minnesota's offense is as good as ours and their defense is better, but that's heavily waited by our horrid defense in the first 10 games of the season. A stable back line has greatly helped balance the team and will see us enter the break on a 5 game undefeated streak.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2019/06/one-more-game-before-gold-cup-break.html

Andy126 repped this.
  11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not sure what to think on this game. I get we have picked up points from the last 4 games, but is that just because we hit teams ar the right time?

It certainly seems like the defense is a bit better and the offense has been decent all year. But is that enough? I dont know and am still a true Rapid fan. Which means I expect a loss, but dont really have a great reason for it other than 4 games of decent doesnt erase the pain.

So, although I am hopeful for points, my inner PTSD still exists.

Rod

12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post-Hudson, the Rapids have progressed from being a league embarrassment to being just another team in the sea of MLS mediocrity. It takes a special type of coaching talent to make professional athletes worse, but Hudson accomplished that lofty ambition. We're seeing the rebound to the talent baseline. Rather than an artificially awful 0-28-6 team, we're seeing a possible full-season 11-11-12 team. Given this season's Hudsonian start, something around 9-15-10 seems plausible. If Kamara stays in Colorado, the Rapids are closer to being a playoff team than a Wooden Spoon team.

As for this game, who knows? It's a tossup, which is a ton better than another certain Hudsonian defeat.

TheWarmBurger, Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  13. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true that Colorado and Minnesota are pretty equal and middle-of-the-pack in terms of talent. But all the intangibles are in favor of the Rapids--home field, altitude, and the confidence that comes from a good unbeaten streak. I'm predicting 2 - 0 Colorado.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think the team is playing more like we thought it would in the offseason. The personnel has improved -- how could it not, I have PTSD about the striker situation post-Badji and seeing Jack McBean start every game until he got hurt.

So we expect them to be competitive and win at a decent clip at home, say 1.5 pts/game or better?

So yeah, they'll have to drop some points at home at some point, especially against the better teams.

But Minnesota, while they've improved, they're not a juggernaut. How much speed do they have on the wings, that's been a particular problem for the Rapids' D. They do have 3 road wins.

16. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    No Rubio in the 18......Hmmm

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    On vacation so won’t be following, 4-2 Colorado win. They win when I can’t watch.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone hoping to buy the warm-up rainbow jersey at the stadium tonight, don’t. They’ve got the pricing wrong, listing it at $120 instead of $60. I talked to the manager and he knows something is wrong but can’t do anything until he can talk to his bosses in Altitude Authentics. He said if they figure it out he can fix them for the USOC game on Wednesday and the games after that.

rapidogordo and Andy126 repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was listed as questionable on the injury report

Andy126 repped this.
  20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go Rapids!

21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Center Ref Ramy Touchan has the most anagrammable name ever . . .
    Thorny Macau
    Canary Mouth
    A Mouthy Narc
    A Country Ham
    Yum! Rat Nacho
    Human Car Toy

22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta is starting to create some space. Rosenberry isn't wandering as far as he did last time out. First touch is better. Individually, these are small things, but bode well.

Andy126 repped this.
  23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KAMARA!

fortcollins repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's Goal #8!

Stuart95 repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to see the Rapids take advantage of set piece play. That's an improvement.