PBP: Post Hudson Era #2 - Rapids host FSL, 7PM, Sat. 5/11/19

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 10, 2019.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Link to the video review
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/11/video-review-justen-glad-red-card-downgraded-yellow

I mean, he jumps off the ground, sticks his leg out straight...Watch at 52 seconds for the best two views....how the heck did that get down to a yellow. Studs completely exposed, leg straight. Yeah, he hit the ball, but if he had been any higher he would've hit the shin instead. Either its dangerous foul play, or not a foul at all. You can't go through the ball to take out the player in today's MLS. The rules have changed for defenders.

It's a really good thing Lewis saw him lunging and jumped out the way. If he didn't he possibly could've been really injured. I don't know of any rule anywhere that says the attacking player has to jump out of the way to avoid a tackle.

Here's a similar tackle as done by Rooney. This one missed the ball. The same ref. Sibiga gives Rooney a yellow at first, then upgrades to red after Video Review. (EDIT): Tackle comes in around 2min into the video

Or another similar tackle that missed the ball:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/23/red-card-daniel-royer-picks-red-after-nasty-challenge

Either that kind of tackle is a Red card in your book Sibiga, or it's not a red card.

Different ref, but EXACT same tackle form as Glad. Ashley Cole dives in, leg straight, studs showing, gets the ball, and gets the red

But hey, its Sibiga....he's an interesting ref. Here's a funny one...It's Sibiga giving a red card to our current intereim coach, for a foul against one of our current players. What are the odds???
    https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1037167
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rod1916 repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    But with a couple years to gel and get used to the new manager and system ...

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but that's not the video (or I should say, all the video) the VAR sees. Even on that one right before contact Glad dips his foot down a bit, like he's realized what's about to happen and is trying to avoid it. Also that knee is clearly not locked in a straight on challenge.

Again, I'm not arguing the red was wrong, but I'm not arguing the yellow was wrong either. It falls right into the middle for me based on this video. I think the call on the field (whatever it was red or yellow, red in this case) should have been upheld. But i can't argue the final call was the wrong one, just that VAR shouldn't have intervened.

ogre1976 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching game on TV, Marcelo said old School its a Yellow, new school could go either way but was fine with Yellow because "he touched the ball first". I thought FIFA updated foul wording to say even if you touch the ball first, your "momentum" into an opposing player still could create a dangerous play.

Maybe those Ref's could chime in on this whole touch the ball first making anything after all good.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    That's fair enough. I wouldn't argue if he gave him a yellow on the field either as the initial call.

I just don't understand how on earth they could have overturned it. To overturn you need it to be a clear and obvious error. I guess I ask to much when I ask for consistency in calls from the refs eh? Hence why the links to other similar tackles that earned red

Rod1916 repped this.
  6. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This was a fun game - I think the man of the match was Lalas Abubakar. He was the only dominant defender with a ton of impact plays; he put in a (disallowed) goal; and was the backbone of our defense.

I love Andre Shinyashiki, but I don't know how on Earth he was awarded MotM considering he came in for the last 20 minutes and took two wild shots.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've decided that barring an very obvious choice the MOTM award is more marketing now than a reflection of anything that happened on the field. They seem to want to rotate it through as many different players as possible.

(And to be clear, C38 awards the MOTM an oar, but its the Rapids who choose the MOTM, not C38)

Sports Yak, rapidogordo, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "But I got the ball!" is no longer (if it ever really was?) inoculation from a foul, yellow card, or red card (or for a crotch punch). Think about 'I got the ball recklessly', 'I got the ball with excessive force', 'I got the ball from behind with both feet in a studs up leap' etc. etc.

fortcollins, DavidJames and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I thought Abubakar was aggressive and closed down well. Something that’s been lacking in the Rapids back line for a while. I did notice he was caught out of position a few times. Hopefully some consistent playing time will fix that.

Andy126, Rod1916 and rapidogordo repped this.
  10. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I didn't realize that - the crowd I watch games with always assumed C38 not only awarded MotM, but also chose the player.

That is great information.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed, by 500 years. ;)

COMtnGuy and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A dangerous foul is a dangerous foul, regardless of the ball. The call on the pitch was correct. VAR is an abomination, and it turns soccer into the No Fun League.

Don't forget, Mullan eventually got the ball, too, after he ruined Zakuani's legs, career, and nearly his life.

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This is more or less my family's take on the match which we were discussing on the way back to the car. The one exception is that the first part of the match until the second FLC goal the Rapids were having trouble holding possession and getting much of an consistent attack. But once the they fell behind by two, the attack came to life. And it more or less continued until the end of the match.

Obviously, the issues in the match were similar to the Vancouver in that they were individual mistakes. And that makes it so frustrating as they just can't seem to get past this.

I really liked Abubakar's play at center back. he was confident, proactive and was a leader. He looked like he was ready to take the mantle of leadership on the back line. He didn't come down on Anderson after his mistakes, rather he was encouraging him to keep his head up.

Lewis has the ability to get behind the back line and then do something good with the ball. If he's wide on one side of the pitch and Nicholson on the other the Rapids are going to cause lots of problems for the opposition.

Couldn't believe how bad Kamara's PK was. I am sure he's kicking himself for that one.

The Rapids had the opportunities to at least tie this match, but missed them - no blame should go the officials.

SccrDon, Andy126, TheWarmBurger and 2 others repped this.
  14. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can’t miss a PK and then blame the refs. Frankly a tie would have been a just result.

But it’s Rapids 2019. Anything that can go wrong will.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I failed to mention that during the whole to do about the none red card Anderson and Rosenberry switched sides as did Nicholson and Lewis. This had Lewis on the right side and from this position he was able to exploit his pace to get behind the FSL back line and assist on the first goal.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also did anyone notice who were the first players to Acosta to keep him from going after Glad on the yellow/red card tackle? The two new guys.

Andy126, COMtnGuy, Rod1916 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It’s a weird time to be a Rapids supporter - that’s for sure

Sports Yak repped this.
  18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    fyp
    'Like' we're all supposed to be from the People's Republic of Boulder or something.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro repped this.
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Interesting. On seeing those reviews, it looks worse than when I (quickly) watched the Altitude replay. He got Lewis's foot with the bottom of the cleat.

I forget who was commenting on it and provided the other similar examples that drew red cards. But it seems like that's been red in a lot of the games I've seen, in part likely due to the speed the player was coming in at. I got the impression leagues really didn't want players diving at the legs like that, even if the foot is low.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes it even more confusing, also from PRO:

http://proreferees.com/2019/05/17/the-definitive-angle-mls-week-11/

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "PRO’s Decision: This was a reckless foul challenge and as such a yellow card is an appropriate outcome. However, due to there being some elements of serious foul play it is difficult to conclude that the initial red card decision made by the referee was a clear and obvious error, when working to a high threshold of intervention."

In 'ref-speak' I don't think most low and medium 'temperature' MLS matches are worked to a "high threshold of intervention" because more emphasis is given to allowing the match to 'flow' and keeping the match 11 v 1. A completely correctly given red card can pretty well ruin a match and referees (the VAR team in this case) sometimes may feel the need to defer to entertainment or 'producing a spectacle' over the pure laws of the game and sport.
    We see this so consistently at World Cups that we just expect it and while they aren't made public we assume it is part of the referees' briefing and/or implied if they want to keep getting assignments.

Totoro repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I could buy that I guess. Maybe it's ok to let a tackle like that go with a yellow to not affect the game as much, but to then to suspend the guy a game in an effort to deter the level of recklessness.

There used to be a lot more lunging at legs in MLS and I'm sure no one wants to go back to those days of legs/ankles being broken.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but seriously...I think PRO desperately needs some consistency:

LAFC going up against Dallas. Very similar tackle to the Glad but he came in from the side/behind. Didn’t really get much of the ball. No whistle blown, no foul called, no card.

PRO is hardly consistent in their officiating and it’s terribly frustrating.

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    NO CALL? Wow.