PBP: Post Hudson Era #2 - Rapids host FSL, 7PM, Sat. 5/11/19

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 10, 2019.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #1 AlbertCamus, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Colorado versus FSL at the Dick at 7 on Saturday. Sure hope we win, but not counting on or expecting it.

Post your pregame gloom thoughts, predictions, dark poems, and plans here; then your in game exasperations, and then your post game proclamations that you've given up all together. Here.

Or maybe we win this time.... nah.

fortcollins, Sports Yak and SccrDon repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pet peeve - Colorado versus FSL

COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that we will win this game.

There is no rational reason for me to believe it, but I do.

Soaker888 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I believe it will be a beautiful evening to go to a soccer game; and after thrilling games on TV via DVR all week, it will nice to see a live game. But a win? I have doubts.

5. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    With the Rapids, it’s always darkest...right before it goes pitch black. I predict a 3-2 loss.

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to make this very clear up front.

The Rocky Mountain Cup is decided on:
    1. Points
    2. Goals
    3. Current holders retain Cup in the case of a tie

Away goals do not matter in the competition

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    REF Assignments:

We just can't seem to escape Baldy can we? Even if he is the 4th....

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think this is gonna be an attacking soccer festival. FSL is averaging 1.8 goals allowed per game and the Rapids are allowing 2.7 per game. Rapids are going to want to score, and score plenty. FSL is going to want to score, and score plenty.

I'm thinking 3-2 final score, loser is the one who gets the red card in this match, because Baldomero is one of the Refs, so we know there's going to be a red card somewhere

fortcollins, Rod1916 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My prediction is Rapids 1.8 , FSL - 2.7 . That rounds to 2-3. 1 red card

fortcollins and Dom. FC repped this.
  10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I can see it now. The Rapids are one goal ahead with C38 fans, many shirtless, jumping up and down chanting, "I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!..." This pattern is only broken by an occasional jeering of the FSL left back.

But in extra time, FSL has a fast break with Axel pulling down their forward by the shirt. Although the foul was embellished, it's a yellow card and PK ending in a 2-2 draw. The tie keeps our RMC hopes alive, but it feels like a loss. (Note that I don't have a lot to do at work today.)

pdid10 repped this.
  11. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    The team should offer some kind of monetary prize if you successfully guess the full starting XI and formation we'll be in...ala Warren Buffet offering $1MM for guessing the perfect Sweet 16 bracket for the NCAA tourney.

Odds of getting either correct are probably about the same.

Sports Yak repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, like, half of the prior RMC games then

fortcollins and Sports Yak repped this.
  13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points? Plural??? What's that? ;)

Andy126, Dom. FC, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My biggest curiosity at this time is about the formation Casey will deploy Saturfday night. I was a bit surprised last Friday with the 3 man back line and more of a defensive structure. Later I wondered whether this was because Hudson was going to use the same basic formation and tactics he used at Atlanta. With taking over the team on Wednesday Casey may not have had the time to change things much.

So, will we see more of an attacking formation this week? Will any of the new acquisitions get time? Will Casey show more passion than he did v Vancouver.

Andy126 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rimando doesn't play (he's questionable), this will be the first ever RMC match where none of Beckerman, Rimando, or Mastroeni either play or coach

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Wow. And do I get in trouble here if I state that I admire Rimando's play over his MLS career? He seems to have been consistently effective.

COMtnGuy, SccrDon, Sal Paradise and 2 others repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Nah. I’m with you on that. Rimando has always been a beast and a pleasure to watch on the pitch. Even in the wrong colors

COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1126864473841704961 is not a valid tweet id

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2 draw, goals by Kamara and Lewis. Yeah, I'd love to predict a win but I feel like this draw is even optimistic at this point. This will be the first real good look to see if the moves over the last 10 days have made a real effect on this team. If somehow a repeat of the last RMC game that we don't talk about happens, or even half as bad, then the whole thing needs to be torched, top to bottom.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2019/05/rocky-mountain-cup-2019-round-1.html

fortcollins, Andy126 and Totoro repped this.
  20. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Feeling a win. And it won't mean a whole lot. Crawling out of this hole is more than just a RMC win away. Kamara and Lewis will score.

21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives:
    • Improvements on the back line. Frankly, potted plants would have been an improvement over what we have endured this season, because they at least wouldn't go chasing rabbits. There is at least some hope that the upgrades can mark somebody sometime and can recognize an incoming attack before the ball is in the net. It would be nice if they also didn't put the ball in our own net.
    • No Hudson hangover. Casey has had a week to de-Hudsonize the team.
    • If Rimando doesn't play, the Rapids may have a chance to sneak a PK past the goal line, since that's evidently the offensive strategy if the midfield can't hold possession and the opponents deny the pass to Kamara.
    • RSL comes in 1-4-1 on the road. That's still 0.67 PPG on the road, better than how the Rapids play at home (0.40 PPG), but it's our last best shot at a home win in the conference.
    • Kamara, Kamara, Kamara!
    Negatives:
    • These are still the Rapids, and there is a long history of good players being absorbed into the Rapids matrix of defeat and despair.
    • Other teams know that our offense consists of (1) Kamara, (2) hope for a PK, and (3) hope for an opponent's own goal. Unlike the Rapids, these teams actually think of marking Kamara and try not to snag stupid red cards in the box.
    • Too much now hinges on Price.
    • RSL has multiple attacking options. They are like the teams that have controlled the midfield against the Rapids and have been able to get good looks far too close to goal. Even with actual defenders on the back line, there is only so much any team can do when the match is played in its defensive third. If possession tips strongly against us and the Rapids continue to have poor passing and first touch in the defensive half, this could be a repeat of last year's annihilation.
    Yeah, so there's a chance.

Andy126 repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr T. has a good feeling about this one.

[​IMG]

Colorado wins, but Casey injures his achilles in the after game celebration.

JasonMa and AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't expect a win but will be looking for signs of improvement. I expect the fight to be there as that's never left. But clear that's not enough. They have to be better organized out there. If a defender gets beaten one on one that's one thing, but the D shouldn't get beaten because defenders are consistently missing from their zone.

I hope Lewis plays, and I hope they have enough possession to actually see what he can do. I don't remember his national team callups at all somehow. Pretty good per minute production w/NYC but the same was noted of Rubio when he was acquired.

Andy126 repped this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We need a win and a win really doesn’t hurt our wooden spoon aspirations.

Rapids 2-1 Royals or whatever they call themselves

25. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to predict this one until we see the lineup. Last game, Conor didn't have a lot of choices except to go with the tried and failed Hudson plan. If he made some personnel and formation changes during this week, then there's a possibility that this team might be able to show some of its talent and at least be competitive.