PBP: Post Hudson #11 • Rapids Host Arean's Revs • Thurs., July 4th • 7 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Jul 2, 2019.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think last night was just an off night for everyone....

The Rapids came out sluggish in the first half, got scored on, and then continued to play sluggish. For most of the game our passing was poor, and our movement off the ball was poor. Acosta was missing tackles, Abubakar was getting pulled all over the field, Wilson was a step behind the play, and Rosenberry/Vines were getting beat too often.

We didn't come alive til about the 65th minute or so and really crisp things up. By then it was almost too far gone. The last 25 minutes really showed the strength of the team though. We really do look good when we are attacking. Unfortunately we didn't click as a team until we were already 2 goals down.

As far as Acosta's second yellow...he was getting worked hard tonight (by Zahibo especially) and was getting chipped at a lot. I'm pretty sure that he knew he would be suspended after his next yellow, and if you look at his body language after the foul and the ref going to give him a card he simply let his frustration out. My guess is the mindset was "Well, I'm already suspended for the next match, might as well let him know what I think of him"

And yet, all of this being said, we had a very real chance to not only tie the game but win it. Aside from their 2 goals (which were really dumb defensive lapses on our part), Howard wasn't really tested very much. New Englands goalie made two incredible saves that on another day would probably have been goals by Kamara and Abubakar. We also had 6 offsides, 2 of which I recall were extremely close and questionable at best.

It's hard to take too much from this game - similar to how it was hard to take too much from the Blizzard match against Portland - and yet we still had a chance to come out on top. If the Rapids weren't asleep at the wheel for the first 60 min we could've continued our run of form.

But alas, all good things must come to an end eh? At least were bemoaning the end of an unbeaten streak, as opposed to bemoaning the winless streaks of prior coaching.

fortcollins, Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    All I can say is at least they woke up and made the last 15 interesting

3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yep, and that's the kind of antics that gets an entire team doing it (e.g., Acosta getting a second yellow for dissent).

Sorry to see the streak stop on such a choppy night. Unfortunately, when games start/stop like that, scoring the first goal becomes even more important. I didn't think it hurt the Rapids against LA when they had the weather delay.

Vines got beat early on the first goal. Still a good effort--great save at the end of they would have gotten a point.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hate to be the guy to bring this up, but I paid $120 last night and got to watch 27 minutes of soccer after waiting around for 3 hours. Rapids made thousands of people pretty pissed off last night. I know you cant control the weather but you would think the org would make some attempt at pleasing paying customers, especially when those customers are at a premium.

Centennial repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the risk of an outdoor event. MLS rules say the game goes on unless the delay is more than 3 hours or the game wouldn't restart until after midnight. Neither of those happened last night. It sucks but I'm not sure what the Rapids should be expected to do.

pdid10 and Soaker888 repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    There were over 3 hours of delays when the 3 delays are added up.

I don't know that the Rapids or MLS could have done anything about it but that's a bit rough.

I feel bad that Commerce City's fireworks were postponed, but I suppose it will be rescheduled for a Saturday night and those folks can come out again. I assume it wasn't the rain as much as the hour that led to the postponement? One of those years we played the Red Bulls (in the Juan Pablo Angel days, I think it was the Red Bulls) I remember watching fireworks in a pretty strong rain, so the fireworks seem to be able to withstand some rain.

pdid10 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I think its one 3 hour delay. So unless they went out for the 28th-35th minute just to avoid a 3 hour delay I don't think they did anything wrong.

Probably, the homes nearby probably appreciate not having a fireworks show at midnight on a work night for many.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I wasn't able to attend last night, but from watching on TV, I agree with the assessment below. The Rapids just didn't seem to have the mental toughness and passion they've played with in the unbeaten streak. It was obvious from the beginning.

The defensive lapses reminded me of the play in the pre-Abubakar part of the season, only this time Abubakar was on the pitch. Hope this doesn't continue.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I would imagine there are many ticket holders from last night calling the ticket reps and asking for either a refund or tickets to the game where the fireworks will be rescheduled to. It's tough for all involved.

Not to diminish the frustration of those that put down the $ to attend; Agree with @JasonMa that's the risk you take with outdoor events.

pdid10 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 24/15 = 1.600 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining)

Kroenke Line: 10/15 = 0.667 PPG (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). The Spoon leader is currently on pace for 20.7 points. The Rapids are now well off the pace for the Spoon, and it would take 0.067 PPG or worse to catch FC Cincinnati.

Hudson Line: = no longer in play, measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013).

Rapids: 5-10-4, with 19 points in 19 matches = 1.000 PPG, on pace for 34.0 points for the season. This is remarkable after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.000 goals per match (38 goals in 19 matches) on pace to surrender 68 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids are well off the pace to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 5-3-2, 1.700 PPG in 10 matches. 17 GF (1.700 avg), 14 GA (1.400 avg), Diff = +2

Lest we ever forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least no fireworks is better than the Class A Florida State League's St. Lucie Mets' fireworks display yesterday . . .

Centennial, AlbertCamus and Totoro repped this.
  12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They did set some fires last year when the ground was really dry. Though not like the Port St Lucie one.

There was that one year (I didn't go that year, I can't remember why) where the fireworks malfunctioned and they couldn't do them.

They did them some other game night later in the summer, IIRC.

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    What’s with the Trump balloon on this forum? I’ve been trying to figure out the symbolism but give up.

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Where?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Fireworks, Trump-baby balloon along with various other aircraft flyovers in D.C. for the 4th.
    (No)Fireworks, Trump-baby balloon or protest banner aircraft flyover(s) at DSGP for the 4th?

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Oh ok. Got it now ... hmmm