Post Game US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 2, 2019.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Correct. He should have scored :rolleyes:

Maybe you quoted me by mistake?

He had at least one good save, (if not a few going from memory).

Look it wasn't his fault the opponents were who they were.

I am not saying he is the second coming, but go down the checklist of attributes of a solid GK and he pretty much did all of them.

2. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #327 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Just judging by your responses....Im not sure you have a full grasp of the 'real' thing.

If you can show me a post where I said i was judging a player 'only' on speed....Fair play to you. Im inclined to think that perhaps your comprehension skills were off.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I've quoted u multiple times about the speed thing. U even mentioned speed as what separates messi from others lol.

Now u are in on literally +/-, that a player isnt as good if the team gives up more goals while he is playing. That just isnt true.

4. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #329 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Show me where I said that. Prove it. The Messi part. Also show me where I said speed 'only' matters. Anywhere or anytime.

All I want you to do is back up your statements. lol

You are a troll.

Actually the guy I was responding to was using that +/- for Trapp. I was just addressing what I feel is a misrepresentation of the stats. This should be easy for an elementary student to comprehend. You are obviously in attack mode. Carry on, by all means.

tomásbernal repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, @a_new_fan, please give it up. I definitely haven't been in agreement with @FeedhimtothepigsArold on all things, but he's right. He never said or implied speed is everything. He said all things being equal, speed is often the difference between good and great. And he's right.

bsky22, FeedhimtothepigsArold and deejay repped this.
  6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    that is crazy they literally don't have 11 options without mls players.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    things are never equal and have and speed has never been the difference between good and great.

if you watch messi and you think speed is the difference..you are missing literally the entire sport and what makes it great.

8. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  9. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
  10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised on how few subs Gregg used in a friendly. However, I kind of get it. Too often there are serveral subs and the quality of the game breaks down. Then, how do you evaluate the players? So, yes, I would have liked to see Canouse, but I get why Gregg didn't sub him.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The England game where they put up 3 on us, Trapp was paired as double 6 with Weston McKennie in mid. In front of them were Green, Weah, Pulisic and Wood. Behind them were yedlin-miazga-brooks-v/fana

Colombia put 4 on us in a game Bradley played the 6. It was a weird game. Colombia turned into a tiger when Cuadrado went off for Quintero at 54'. Sarachan was quick to counter with Fafa Picault on at 58' for Saief. And I'm quitting before my sarcasm overwhelms me.

Generally it is well known that USA gets beat over their fullbacks. Everybody played against Sarachan's fullbacks from the first whistle to the last.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought his subs were perfect.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally a way to rate speed positively: discount everything else to zero.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I thought that we didn't give up more than 2 when Trapp played?

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why should Trapp be responsible for goals scored when he’s not in the game?

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are making stuff up to defend a mediocre MLS midfielder.

We played a 4-2-3-1 v England with Trapp at the #6 and Weston box to box #8. Trapp as was typical under Sarachan was poor which forced Weston to sit beside him.

Here are Seltzer's ratings:

Wil Trapp (3.5) - Aside from one notable tackle that set up a good US rush, the Columbusmidfielder remains far too easy to get past up the gut. When the US started enjoying more of the ball, Trapp did have a few quality moments with traffic-direction passing. Bottom line: He's still obviously the wrong guy to field when the opponent is expected to hold a sizable possession advantage.

Weston McKennie (5) - The Schalke youngster had some first half issues slowing England down through midfield, but not nearly as many as Trapp and he did recover to make some helpful stops around the US area. McKennie had a letdown first half in the pressure valve department, but picked up measurably in that area after the break.

Tyler Adams (7) - The Red Bulls ace was the only US player that fully understood what needed to be done against this foe. Adams stepped into lanes, harassed ball carriers and jumped forward to support the attack when each play was necessary. The team looked far more in tune after he came on (which, admittedly, is a low bar), and I can't help but wonder how the game would have unfolded with him out there from the start.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...-us-national-team-struggle-wembley-vs-england

Patrick167 and bsky22 repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seltzer is going to work for MLS salary scale. He works for the owners. Adams was in line for a transfer and was hyped while Trapps had to be "cooled". Note how he says McKennie had issues - do you agree McKennie had issues thru the middle?

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can speak for himself, but I do. I said in real time that Adams had a far better game than Trapp and McKennie. Just like I said in real time that Adams had a better game than both against Brazil. And in that game (Brazil), Adams had to become a de facto 6 alongside Trapp, because Trapp simply could not compete physically with the opposition.

TheHoustonHoyaFan, Patrick167 and bsky22 repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What I remember from the Brazil game is that somebody blew by Antonee Robinson for a score and Trapp got called for a ticky-tacky foul for the pk on other goal as Trapp was trying to help Brooks in the box. That was Robinson's side as well. Is my memory correct? I'm tired of looking all this stuff up every time somebody gets all over Trapp.

p.s. edit - to me it looks like if we play Trapp with Adams and Delgado we have the best of all possible worlds defensively in the middle, based on Sarachan's year at the helm. That doesn't mean Berhalter has that planned.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are true. Robinson was terrible, and the foul was ticky tack. But it is also true that Trapp was overrun to the point that Adams was basically having to play for both of them.

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Trapp supposed to stop the Brazil national team single handed?

Look at Adams' game today against lowly Wolfsburg and ask yourself what would happen to him against the Brazilian national team at Trapp's position.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the game in which, for the 3rd time is as many starts, his team gave up 0 goals against Bundesliga opponents with him on the field for 90 minutes (while his team has scored 8 and taken all 9 points)? Ok. I will keep your position in mind.

And no, Trapp is not expected to stop Brazil single-handedly ... but he should be expected to be more than a sieve.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Patrick167 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Trapp didn’t play? I don’t understand.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp doesn't even have a defensive presence.

Adams won't stop Brazil but he'll at least attempt to stand up to them.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nope. Your memory and ability to convey what happened on a soccer field aren't very good. Your mindless pushing players and bashing their competitors is really what your posts are about.

I dont think think Robinson was terrible. He made one bad error where he got caught by a level of player he had never faced. I thought he did well up to the mistake and recovered well after it.