Post Game US v Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is we have a coach

kennytt, dwsmith1972, wsmaugham and 13 others repped this.
  2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good adjustments, clear approach, guys giving efforts, clear understanding of expectations.

Berhalter has shown very well.

Today’s standouts: Lima, Roldan, Llegett

Trapp stood out in second half. As did Arriola late in the game

jnielsen, kennytt, Patrick167 and 9 others repped this.
  3. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Posted in the gdt, but I would say the 3 biggest winners of this camp for me have to be Lewis, Lletget, and Lima. I like Mihailovic too, but he seemed to struggle today when the game got concacafy for him. Might be something that he could adjust to, though.

jnielsen, kennytt, juveeer and 7 others repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It would have been easy to just stick Bradley and 1-2 other players on after that poor first half, but credit to Berhalter for letting his inexperienced players get themselves out of trouble.

WrmBrnr, neems, mbar and 4 others repped this.
  5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    the german

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like 2007 again. I don't really like Berhalter's coaching but it is nice to see the team play with more energy.

Bajoro repped this.
  7. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    This team looked great. I cannot remember a time I've watched the US play with so much style. They did it vs Costa Rica who's not a push over like Panama, impressive even if it's a friendly.

The March friendlies can't come any quicker. Can't wait till the euro guys come in. Hopefully tactically they're quick learners cuz Berhalter does not have a lot of time to work with them like he had with the MLS guys.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly a scintillating game for big Fox.

Pretty organized in back, Zimmerman was probably the best, although I need to see him again vs better forwards that can turn him.

I'd like to see more from Lewis, since we really lack pace, and he's been good in really limited minutes.

The midfield especially the dyed blonde kid really struggled with the physicality, quite a bit better when Llegett came on.

Lima had some good moments and was unlucky with the post.

Two wins without playing great show why it's been called Camp Cupcake...

jnielsen and juveeer repped this.
  9. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget, Lewis and Zimmerman all improved their stock in these friendlies. Lima, though to a lesser extent, did as well.

Roldan, Zardes and lovitz... no thanks.

And if Trapp can play EVERY game the same way he just played that 2nd half, I feel waaaayyyyy better about GGG playing him at the 6.

11. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    Arriola is my MOTM. Easily the most dangerous player on the field.

The right side with Roldan / Baird in the first half wasn't working. Roldan worked out of it a little but Baird didn't have a good day. The contrast once Arriola switched to that side and you had threats on both wings was evident.

Lima had a second good outing and one that required him to switch between midfield and fullback more regularly instead of camping in an advanced midfield position.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the first half was a combo of rust, nerves, and a few particularly weak links. What seemed to snap them out of it was that Lletget sub. He wasn't scared. It's like everyone else on the team fed off him and closer to their best selves could show afterward. Possibly a motivating halftime talk as well.

I'm surprised by the praise for Roldan, as a personal fan. He grew into the game immensely, and was solid in the second half. But still was hesitating, not running with full fluidity, and aggressively shouldering players off the ball with regularity like I've been accustomed to seeing. And in the first half he was hesitant and stiff. It's indicative of nervousness, which we saw at the beginning of his MLS career. This is something he needs to get over. And we should be patient, not ignorant about him. He has the ability. But he needs to stack successes.

As far as the clear stock risers from this camp, they are the aforementioned Lletget, Lima, Lewis, and Long. 1, 2, and 4 should be holdovers for next camp. Steffen was already a lock. Roldan should transfer over with a decent performance overall in games, being the standout in training, and in MLS. Torrent/NYCFC better be woken the eff up when it comes to employing Lewis regularly. No excuses for them anymore after Lewis displayed how he can help a team around this level. But don't think we can justify subsequent camp appearances until he's a contributor at a respectable level.

Eighteen Alpha, mbar and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice response after a poor first half. You could sense an energy out there--this group at least seems to be keyed in to what Berhalter's doing. I didn't think Trapp was as bad as the pbp thread indicated. Two beautifully weighted long balls helped create the first goal and the golden Roldan opportunity, and he wasn't wasteful except for the late brain fart. Arriola goal was the most GIF worthy play I saw this weekend.

Anyways, enjoyable game. Still looking forward to the Gold Cup.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A clear pattern of play.

CR came out with a high-energy, physical game in the 1st hell. We coped well. We played a solid 1st half. CR probably would've generated a goal or two against the previous US-coached teams.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Camp-wide, I'd say that the players who made cases of varying strength for inclusion when the full group convenes would be as follows: Steffan, Zimmerman, Long, Lima, Lletget, Roldan, Arriola, and yes (with reluctance) Bradley and Trapp. More than half of those guys are guys we already knew about. Clearly, the big winner of the camp overall has to be considered Nick Lima.

Kids that bear further examination: Mihailovich and Lewis.

Interesting incomplete (only because Berhalter limited his minutes): Ramirez.

Bit of a disappointment but I assume that he'll get more chances anyway: Zardes

Tested and found lacking: Lovitz and Baird. (And maybe Ebobisse on the left wing, but he might've been concussed half the time...)

Hardly tested, but still somewhere in the depth chart: Sean Johnson

wsmaugham and mbar repped this.
  16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d bring about 5 guys of these guys to the Gold Cup

juveeer, SteelyTom and swedust repped this.
  17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This game brought out the youthful inexperience in Mihailovic. Costa Rican players are generally savvy and I'll bet their coach instructed them to get physical with the youngster. It worked to a degree, and Djordje's passing was off and he just struggled with the physicality.

Lletget had a nice game. One thing I noticed is that his body looks slimmer than last year. It takes a long time to fully recover from that injury, and it appears that he's getting back in many ways.

Tom Collingsworth and Marko72 repped this.
  18. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Not convincing. Costa Rica was not very good. They were slightly better than Panama tactically and technically. They really had no attacking threat.

I hope it doesnt take a half for GB teams to warm up everytime.

19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Have enjoyed the Ggg era so far.

Not loving Steffan's performances in these matches.

Looking forward to March.

SteelyTom repped this.
  20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I counted 9, but Trapp/Bradley are an either/or, so you can leave whichever one you prefer at home and make it 8. Nine if you really want to bring Lewis as a 2nd half speed option.

But which of Steffan, Zimmerman, Long, Lima, Roldan, Lletget, and Arriola are you leaving home when the full complement is available?

21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #21 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    We did not play a solid first half even Lalas admitted that and hes a full on SUM shill. Cmon man.

This was 2 pamper soft opponents. literal C teams. Im not expecting balanced assessment but bold face untruths have to be addressed. We were below par in the first half vs an inexperienced CR team. We looked better in the 2nd half when we were 'braver' as GB said himself. The CR press was not impressive.

22. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m gonna guess: Arriola, Llegett, Lima, Stefan ... and Zimmerman?

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Roldan easily. Though GB likes him. One of CBs might be out due to numbers crunch.

24. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m the glad the team was able to rise to the challenge the Ticos were giving in the 2nd half.

Looks like the players like what Berhalter is doing.

The road ahead is a long one.

juveeer and swedust repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We won the possession intervals.
    We suffered 12 fouls to their 5.
    We carved out dangerous attacking movements.

Credit to CR for their high-energy, physical first half. But they didn't score and that level intensity wasn't sustainable. You're entitled to your opinion if you can back it up.

wsmaugham, WrmBrnr, DCUSA and 5 others repped this.