Possibly entertaining Rogers Wireless ad in Toronto

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I have a friend who is originally from Sarnia, ON. He attended college in the US and came to work in my company's Columbus, OH, office upon graduation. Earlier this year he transferred to our Toronto office. Yesterday he sent me the following e-mail message about a Rogers Wireless TV ad:

It might be a mere coincidence, but maybe not. I hope it's not because I just think it's pretty funny if a Toronto-headquartered company is poking fun at the Crew and Crew fans in ad. Nothing malicious, just something we might see in Columbus with Michigan and Michigan fans as the target.

2. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first thought you were talking about Robbie Rogers. It took me a minute of searching for Robbie's logo that I realized he doesn't have one and Rogers isn't really awsome at all.

3. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Those bastards!

4. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others hate the Massive. I am totally ok with this as it shows their frustration and pain.

5. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone get on finding this on you tube, canadians make me laugh

6. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their telecom industry will never beat our telecom industry.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This thread has been up for 3 hours and we haven't been invaded by a horde of Canuckistanis looking for Archer because he insulted them (yes, I realize FF is the one who posted this, but remember, we're talking about the far-too-easily-offended, unnaturally earnest, and none-too-bright Canuckistan crowd)?

Unpossible.

8. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those damn Canucks are after our precious bodily fluids!

and now our wireless! :mad:

9. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It absolutely is a reference to TFC and the Crew. There is no doubt about it. Although you're likely giving yourselves a wee bit more credit than you deserve if you think it's using the Crew as a selling point. It's more of a reference to the popularity of TFC games amongst the most desired demographic in the cell phone market. That the dork is wearing yellow is an inside joke that few will get, but those that do will laugh out loud at.

At any rate, Timon19, I'm not sure why you would think anyone in Toronto would give a rat's ass about this thread. But, anyway.

Personally, I think it's great that a cell phone company sees the value of using a reference to MLS as a way to sell its product. It shows progress in the acceptance of the game.

I tried to find a video of the spot, but there doesn't seem to be one up yet. It's part of an ongoing campaign that stars the same two guys. Here is another one if you are at all interested:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB57Fd90D5E&NR=1"]YouTube - Rogers Wireless Network Elevator :30[/ame]

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the author of the above, notorious Crew basher Duane Rollins - the guy who says that MLS should move our team to another town where our pathetic small town bullshit won't keep holding TFC back from the true greatness which is their destiny - is from Toronto and he does, in fact, obviously give a rats' ass about this thread, but irony and self-awareness aren't his strong suits.

Those would include whining and saying stupid stuff.

11. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    How from the words that I wrote did you possibly come to that conclusion Bill?

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I guess.

I was reading the Crew forum to keep up on Crew news. Just like I read every team forum. I saw a thread that I could add information to and posted it. But, thanks for using that as another opportunity to take a shot at me Fake S, er, I mean Bill.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet here you are. :rolleyes:

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It's good to be the king!

14. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    That's worse than outing a gay dude! (without his permission, of course)

15. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The inside joke of the one-way rivalry that TFC fans have about not being able to defeat a team from such a small farm town? Yeah, I find that funny myself :)

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I doubt anyone honestly thinks a Canadian wireless company is using the Crew as a selling point.

17. apierce61

apierce61 Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but they'll tie us and call it a win.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's like moth to ********ing flame.

19. fakesigi

fakesigi Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Manhattan Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice detective work, Mango. You got me. Now go back to that third world, garbage infested dump you call a country and start your own league. I don't have time for pissants like you who come around here bitching and moaning about how you don't care about Columbus, when it's all you can do to keep from reading our forum.

Tell you what? The next time you think about posting something that idiototic and self important on this forum with your drool-covered, crusty keyboard between surfing from the Avril lavigne forums to the Jonny McGovern forum, then try to coax as much intelligence as you can from your stunted, mapyle-syrup seized brain.

Twatwaffle.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vod9DL4IhBM"]YouTube - Bug's Life - 2 mosquitos[/ame]

21. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Mustela rutilus signum erminea, commonly known as the Red Patched Ermine (aka, the "Toronoto" Stoat, the Ottaweasel, or, as is most appropriate in this case, the Canadian Pitch Weasel) is not rare, but it is elusive. This is due to the fact that the Canadian Pitch Weasel is largely crepuscular. It will make brief, snide appearances during daylight hours in search of Timbits, or in search of its own teeth lost from the prior evening's ritualized attempt to earn the respect of its distant relatives--the Liverpool Footy-Hool and the Common Citeh Rat--both of which typically look upon its Ontarian cousin as an ersatz twerp.

The Pitch Weasel’s call is droning and simple, yet remarkable in that it demonstrates an ability, unique in the phylum Chordata, to pronounce every dipthong simultaneously as “oo” and “ur”. While this feature can be distracting to non-weasel species, this otherwise potent vocal advantage is mitigated by the Pitch Weasel’s ubiquitous use of the word “f*cking” as both adjective and adverb in almost every phrase it speaks. At other times, the Pitch Weasel will emit a sound that is often confused with poorly-spoken French, but it typically does this only if there is a fair opportunity for it to gratuitously display its fine, plush coat of sanctimony.

The Pitch Weasel exudes an oily, off-putting musk, which is harvested by executives of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and sold back to the Pitch Weasel at $13 a cup as "BMO Brew".

Finally, the Pitch Weasel is perhaps the most self-congratulatory of all of the trolling weasels in the family Mustelidae, with the possible exception of the Keystone Ferret (Mustela putorius archus toppus furo). Recently, observers of Pitch Weasel behavior have noticed an across the board up-tick in burrowing into enormous heaps of soi-disant praise for loyally throwing its beloved captain overboard in an effort to make the postseason. It seems that this weasel form of loyalty may indeed be rewarded, however, should they successfully navigate the Meadowlands without being stepped upon by a Red Bull this final match day of the season. Should this occur, supporters of all other MLS clubs should be prepared for a sudden and prolonged outbreak of Canadian Pitch Weasel trolling.

2 people repped this.
  22. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Insert Slow Clap Here]

also, can someone please rep this man, I'm all out.

23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Got ya covered.

24. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew