Possession Soccer/Positional Play Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Nov 13, 2015.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fatigue is something that never really enters the player development discussion. With unlimited subs you never have to think of how to Marshall your resources. Players don’t know how to manage tempo.

rca2 repped this.
  2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ran this positional game yesterday. It's a great, little exercise when you are playing 7v7

rca2 repped this.
  3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I think it excellent for teams playing 11v11 too. It is a simple progression from the garden variety rondo.

What it lacks is direction. So the next step would be to add scoring targets, goals or zones. Or play 5v4. Or just scrimmage with even sides.

I would try a variation on the scoring. 1 point for still maintaining possession after 10 passes and 2 points if the 10th pass is received in a small scoring zone (the breakout pass). Smaller side gets 1 point per goal.

elessar78 repped this.
  4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Couldn't resist. Noticed this clip after the above one. Worth watching someone that loves to play.

elessar78 repped this.
  5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    we progress to scoring on the goals on eother end. After 5 passes, attacking team can try to score.If defenders win it they can go directly to goal. Forces attacker to get into the immediate recovery mindset.

rca2 repped this.
  6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh man. one of my faves. I actually still where his Nike R10 tiempos. Ive had several pairs since I bought those ten years ago but those are still the best

7. Malabranca

Malabranca Member

Oct 6, 2016
    I really like this drill and use it to focus on transitions. That being said, I have noticed I have a tendency to focus on the offensive aspects and would note that there should be just as much emphasis on the three defenders and their shape as well. This is a perfect opportunity to teach proper defensive skills as well. Way too many passes in the example video split the defenders for me to be happy. ;)

8. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree with all of the above. It's actually on my list to do a team pressing topic using this rondo—my girls, when possession is lost, still stand there. One may pressure, but not all and not fully committed to it.

9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I read something about Pep yesterday, never wanted the ball to a winger to come from the same side full back (2 passes to 7, for example). Because, he said, the defenders are already on that side and you don't change their (defenders') angle. Ideally it would get played to CMs, then back out to the wing (2 > 8 > 7, for example).

When you teach building out to young players, what's your "pattern"? I've been teaching ( to 7v7) it as GK > RCB > RW. Because it keeps it out of middle. But should it be GK > RCB > CM > RW/LW. That CM really playing as a true pivot point for the team.

NewDadaCoach and stphnsn repped this.
  10. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Why not do both patterns? I was just thinking of trying it with my team because I was watching my older kid's practice yesterday and they were doing passing patterns for attacking. During the course of the practice, the build up looked about the same but finishing was being changed up.

stphnsn repped this.
  11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    We play a 1323. If my 3 has the ball, I instruct my 11 to be a wide option and an 8 to be a central option. 3 can play to either based on what the pressure allows.

At my course in August, my instructor broke down the field into left, center, and right channels like a lot of us do. She took it a step further and added half-spaces between left and center and center and right. She said their philosophy was to have each line of players alternate the spacing between the three channels and the half spaces to help provide better angles. If your 3 is in the far left channel and your 5 is in the central channel, your 8 would be in the left/center half space. Then the 11 would be in the far left up above. I thought that was an interesting way to think about it.

elessar78 and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think it is best to go through a midfielder if possible for shorter/quicker passes. A long ball from back to winger will give a defender ample time to respond and intercept the pass. I think what Pep said makes sense. But, if a back must ping then go to the opposite side. RB to LW, for ex, the LW will likely have more space and time to bring ball under control.

13. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    This is a very old concept of Dutch and Brazilian tactics--the preference for the diagonal pass. It may also be a universal concept of good soccer, but I recall it being emphasized by Dutch and Brazilian materials I read in the 1970s and 80s. Most definitely it wasn't a feature of English thought at that time. (I say English rather than British intentionally.)

A couple more points to think about. The classic 433 has 3 CMs. No wide midfielders. A vertical pass makes first touch more difficult. When the winger is closely marked, the pass will be behind the winger, who will turn around and be playing with his back to goal, making it very difficult for the winger to do anything effective with the ball.

The last point may not be a problem in the final third, because it has drawn markers outside. When trying to break out of the back, however, it is a big problem.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  14. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Something else I picked up in August was "Straight run - diagonal pass. Diagonal run - straight pass." You very rarely want to have a straight run with a straight pass because it's such a tight angle. Maybe that's something intuitive, but hearing someone say it out loud flicked a switch for me.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  15. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I almost spit my drink out when the instructor at my D course told me they don’t recommend Rondos because they aren’t “game like.”

16. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Yep, and if you ever watch one of their teams play you see that is true, it's all straight ahead in one channel, with the occasional switch of the field before plowing directly down the other wide channel.

It doesn't reflect their game. Just the rest of the world's :)

17. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Had a colleague was just awarded his B and he put a rondo in each of his sessions. He says that the "no rondos" thing is NOW a myth. Instructor dependent? Maybe.

18. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You mean USSF completely switched their mind again? :shocked:

19. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I think it's more license dependent. What I'm hearing is the D is now the pinnacle of the "grass roots" pathway, starting with the intro and the 4/7/9/11 modules. They start you with play/practice/play guided discovery crap.

They don't give much leeway there because at best they're figuring youre coaching kids who peak in high school, maybe play on a team that enters the president's cup. If you do happen to get a diamond in the rough, letting them play won't mess them up.

The C and higher are for the professional coaches, that aspire to coach in a DA or at least bring in parents that can afford to pay the really big bucks and possibly be able to uproot and move near a DA if their kid excels. Here you could get an instructor that realizes if you can run the rondo in their guidelines - directional, game realistic - ie not the 8v2 ikeep away circle - then you probably know what you're doing.

rca2 and elessar78 repped this.
  20. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    I just did my 9 and 11 modules in the Spring and then did my D this fall. Rondo's came up at both the 11v11 and more in depth with the D. The instructors did not say no but actually asked the person who asked what they looking to teach, the why, how, what language you use, etc. It led to a good conversation.
    The reason the US is pushing the P-P-P is that most kids never watch soccer on TV or at local matches. Without a culture the point of a rondo can get lost. In my D the push was about the ability to explain why and the how with everything you do.
    I don't follow the P-P-P methodology but I do start every practice with either a 2v2/3v3 or a rondo. It usually allows me time to set the rest of the practice and the familiarity for the kids leads to a better practice.

rca2 repped this.
  21. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll just leave this here

Buckingham Badger repped this.
  22. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    Agree with the Twellman tweet. When I was a kid my team was never outworked. We were not as good as our competition mostly because our coaches philosophy was that we would be in better shape and we would wear down teams and win late. I wonder if we would have been better served by working technically but alas. We played like Germany in the 70s. We were tall and decently athletic. The ball came down the wings and we would try to center to play to a header. We spent a lot of time on restarts, corners and throw-ins and it was all rehearsed. We played a 4-4-2 with a sweeper/stopper and cleared everything defensively to the outside. Most importantly we had an identity and we damn sure were not going to back down. I'll never forget a semi final State Cup game at U14 and a forward of our started a fist fight with a defender away from the play. Benches cleared, a fight started between parents and they were banished to the parking lot.
    Played a man down and we didn't bunker we tried to take it to them. Every team in our league had a philosophy. Some were pretty passers and soft, some were a mix.
    Today every team looks the same. A generic philosophy of "we want to play out of the back and have possession" but nobody is doing it beyond U10. If you POTB teams all play a high press off a goal kick and dare you beat them over the top or the goalie punts every time. I finally abandoned our clubs stated philosophy of POTB to finding the man who is open. The kids noticed the shift in my language and I could sense a concern from them as I had previously preached playing with possession. The tweak to play to the open man took a little bit but the game opened. We lost 5-6 but I loved the passes with a purpose. Goalie gets it and he's quickly scanning the field looking for opening. He's throwing passes to my wings (not always accurately) but the idea is there. We sub frequently (screw you purists - I only have 1-3 subs for 9v9) I play all kids in all positions in practice but kids are starting to find the roles they like but I don't let them settle into those. They play those plus an adjacent role.
    We had a 7 pass sequence that led to a goal. Goalie to RD, nowhere to go, back to CD, pass to LD who carried it up and passed to one of my CM. He hit my LW up the line, beat a player, played to CF just outside the 18, turned and faced the D and left a beautiful pass to the RW 4 yards into the box just outside the post who drilled it home. Our best goal.
    We don't get overlaps but its starting to happen. Other teams are rigid. Frustrated that we lost to a team that pushed us around but after a night to sleep on it I want to get back out there tonight - unfortunately we are off for a few months. I want a rematch in the Spring that will not come - they will move up and we won't. My winter will be building out our philosophy and then my game model. We need to get tougher and I don't have any CM but I've started to find my wings and outside D and F.

23. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
  24. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    You'd think US Soccer would have sprung for the rest of the 3four3 program that moved beyond pinging it around the back 4 to attacking choreography :)