Positive Coaching Alliance

Discussion in 'Coach' started by amikavpar, Aug 24, 2017.

1. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the "Positive Coaching Alliance". My daughter has decided to play soccer in her first year of HS ( I was hoping she would try cross country, but that didn't work out). The HS is forming a partnership with PCA. There is a required meeting tonight for all teams and parents that I can't attend. Will I be missing much?

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Positive Coaching Alliance is not the high school team coach. It is a non-profit promoting good coaching practices. They may have a slide show presentation or online course that you can review in lieu of attending the meeting. The high school athletic director should know.

I know nothing about the organization but suspect the meeting is a combination presentation of their program and fund raising pitch for them.

3. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yes, I know the soccer coaches already. She's been practicing with the team for two weeks. I was curious if anyone had dealt with them through their club and could give a good critique of what they are offering or what they are a proponent of. I went to their website and it gives a flavor of their philosophy. Hopefully it will do some good.

4. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been to a couple of PCA presentations. They are pretty good. The focs was on changing the culture around sports. My only issue is that the parents/coaches that would benefit most from their ideas are the ones that are least responsive to them.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    there was a PCA presentation as part of the course i took earlier this month. they are what you'd think they are. positive coaching instead of being a drill instructor.

isn't that true with everything? the people who need X are often times the least likely to think they need it.

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Civilians and veterans have quite different views of how a drill instructor trains recruits. Most civilians don't understand that training recruits in preparation for military service is not the same thing as coaching youth sports or even coaching military athletic teams. Drill instructors are selected for their leadership ability, but effective leaders use different leadership tools for different situations and different people.

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    when i say drill instructor, you know the image i'm intending to elicit. the example that was used in our session was bobby knight.

8. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    My wife did go to the presentation. She said it was a bit awkward and too long. She came home with a 60 page book. I really enjoyed it. It's a good reminder about what is important as a parent when your child plays sports. Hope it gets through to some of the parents.